Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 May 2001, 12:27 (Ref:89264)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fess up, who is your fave?

Ok folks, really, who is your favourite V8 driver??
Old 5 May 2001, 23:52 (Ref:89483)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i really liked jason bright in pirtek ford and followed his career closely in indy lights.....i still like him and would love him to win the championship, only problem is that i dont want to see hrt win again......

close 2nd fav driver would be garth, seton - ambrose is making a name for himself....

i could go on crash test, i think there are too many likeable drivers going round.....
Old 6 May 2001, 00:06 (Ref:89495)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Wayne Wakefield (who else?)
2. Cameron McLean
Old 6 May 2001, 00:12 (Ref:89501)   #4
Troy
Racer

Troy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite driver has always been Jason Bright. I have been following his career since about 1994 when he was driving in the Formula Ford Championship. He is my tip for this years SCS title.
Old 6 May 2001, 04:30 (Ref:89552)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From year dot to late '80s it was Peter Brock, then Larry Perkins for about a decade, Craig Lowndes ever since. I'm also a big fan of WW, of course he's the only V8 supercar driver I'm friends with, now that Kevin Heffernan and Danny Osborne are no longer running.
Old 6 May 2001, 04:30 (Ref:89553)   #6
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have to be Steve Johnson.

After following Dick for years i might be a bit biased,but you would have to agree that he shows tremendous maturity in the car ,if not outright speed.
Old 6 May 2001, 06:27 (Ref:89565)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Oh yeah...and Steven, go Steve!

Firstly Wayne- everyone who ever saw him in Shaggin Wagon (which is making a come back...yeee haaa) know just how skilled he was. Once he made it to V8s, he continued on. That ex-Heffo car should have never been capable of some of the speeds it did. In practice for QR and Bathurst in 99 he was within the top 25- a great effort. Then for 2000, the ex-Bottle Magic car that Mezera rolled at Bathurst in 1997 was an absolute ****box, it really should never have been capable of winning any races.

Cam McLean- I've been following very keenly since his days in the old BMW M3 Sports Sedans....how on earth he won the championship in it I will never know. I guess he came good in 1997, winning the Privateeers Cup in the Vectra against Steven Richards. Then for '98, and the BMW. Against the might of the factory teams, he was robbed of victory a fair few times. In 1999 he slayed them in the V8s, when nothing was really expected of them. What's more, one day when I was chatting to him, I found out that he used to live on the same block as me....it's a small world

Steven- I've always rated the man, and after spending a day of him tearing around Darlington Park earlier in the year, some of this guys skills are incredible....I haven't seen too many people do donuts in reverse driving a front wheel drive Mirage before
Old 6 May 2001, 08:09 (Ref:89570)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WW first came to my attention when he was racing in the Gemini Series and I was the regular circuit commentator at Lakeside, I can assure you no-one worked harder on getting exposure for their sponsors, even then he had plenty and he valued every one of them highly.

I'm older than you Crash and I remeber when Cam McLean raced a Fiat 1500 in Historic Touring Cars. The car was never an outright contender and even in class he was pushing it up hill, but that didn't stop him driving the ring out of it.

I remeber Steve Johnson racing a 13B rotary powered Datsun1600 Sports Sedans. I was impressed by the way he went about racing and the fact that he consistently got on the podium in what was really only a class car.
Old 6 May 2001, 09:52 (Ref:89586)   #9
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn`t know too much about WW before,now i do!!
sounds like a good,hard working bloke.

Lucky ******* Crash!
rubbing shoulders with the big boys eh!
Old 6 May 2001, 11:38 (Ref:89618)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hehe..

I was lucky with Cam McLean. I went out to a Saturday afternoon of general practice at the start of last season. He was out there testing Ross Dillon's new HSV GTP car before the first race meeting at Phillip Island.

After Ross had a run, Cam went out there to give it a bit of a flog, but going through the flat out kink at Lakeside, the right front (pirelli tyre) went pop in a big way. Somehow he was able to pull it up without damaging it, and waited on the infield for the team to turn up with a replacement tyre.

When he got bacl to the pits I had a bit of an interview with him, and afterwards I gave him my card (which had a picture of his EL in the background, which he was impressed by ) and he then told me that he used to live over the back fence...it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all...
Old 8 May 2001, 10:55 (Ref:90144)   #11
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite would have to be Mark Larkham. Mainly because when he first started in V8s the place i was working for got the job of doing the signwriting for his car. He was such a nice bloke and after seeing all the effort that he has put in he has become one of my favorites. Paul RAdasich is up there as well. I met him when i was on holidays in NZ and went to a round at Pukakoe(spell check). Very fast and another nice guy.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 8 May 2001, 11:26 (Ref:90155)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Oh yeah, Larko is a top bloke too, also have a bit of a soft spot for Steve Ellery after interviewing him last year.

But back onto Larko, I was lucky enough to pick up some cheap Larko/M10 gear....only problem was that it has all fallen apart now . And another one, but this one is rather cruel, but if you were sign writing Larko's car in the beginning, you probably would have had to do it more than once....the poor bloke bounced off nearly everything in those early years
Old 8 May 2001, 11:42 (Ref:90164)   #13
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
. And another one, but this one is rather cruel, but if you were sign writing Larko's car in the beginning, you probably would have had to do it more than once....the poor bloke bounced off nearly everything in those early years
In the begining he only had one spare set of panels which made it very hard. In the end at one stage he had 4 sets of panels. I used to sit and watch the races and make a note of what part got hit and go into work on monday morning and start cutting the replacement signs, and usually on the tuesday larko would ring up and order what he wanted and i would tell him they were already done. When we first started diong it it was a free thing , but after a while larko offered to pay for the materials , as we were going through so much

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 8 May 2001, 11:59 (Ref:90174)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Arrrrggghhhh! But a fantastic story all the same
Old 8 May 2001, 12:59 (Ref:90194)   #15
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Radisich the most, a RAT on the road but a kind fella off. Lowndes is mature for his years, quite a professional.

Murf, another top bloke, but his words earlier in the year, towards Lowndes especially were unneccesary, even though he had good reason to be angst. He mentioned after Bathurst that he was looking foward to 2001 with Steve and Gibson, and then weeks later found out that his contract was effectively worthless. He said he was getting interest from other teams throughout 2000 but never considered them beacause he was loyal to Gibson (well bound to I spose). Freddy shafted him.

I was excited when I heard that Bairdo got the SBR drive for 2000, and **** what a debut SCS start he had. He finished 15th or whatever in the championship, was a bit unlucky at some of the rounds but showed speed and not a bad effort considering he hadn't seen most tracks before. Radisich finished 14th or whatever in his first season, he is much better now; I just think it was a little unfair that Craig wasn't given a fairer chance to prove something. You gotta stick with rookies and he was a race winner, but oh well im rambling on! Good to see he will partner Weel in the enduros and hopefully run the second car for next year. Craig is yet to show us what he is capable of I reckon.

Also dig Larkho, Jason RIchards, Richo, Besnard
Old 8 May 2001, 13:05 (Ref:90197)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think what went against Rat in 1999 was the massive change the team had going into the new season.

New premesis.
2 new drivers.
New cars.
New tyres....

But then again, he won a few races on the Gold Coast in the older model car.
Old 8 May 2001, 13:26 (Ref:90207)   #17
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
true Crash.
Old 8 May 2001, 16:10 (Ref:90273)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hmmmm...tough question..my all time fav is of course Peter Brock..but since he retired I have followed Craig Lowndes..but I follow them all really ..I just like the racing but there are one or 2 i watch out for like tomas Mazera..he got a rough deal with HRT ...I used to follow Bob pearson a bit because of his paintjob..but sadly he has given the game away.

this year in 2001 I have been watching 2 guys with a bit of interest ...Garth tander and Marcos Ambrose..obviously both their first names spell out my whole name

but Brocky is my all time fav but i support all the drivers and wish them well.
Old 8 May 2001, 23:21 (Ref:90550)   #19
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once again, Peter Brock! But since he has retired, I have supported Castrol Perkins Racing, and my fav driver is Russell Ingall. I also like Craig Lowndes and Marcos Ambrose
Old 8 May 2001, 23:36 (Ref:90555)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Dicky Johnson was my favourite growing up, I'm not sure if it was a coincidence that my favourite colour was green, and favourite number was 17

I only ever really started to like Brocky when I met him in 1998....which was a year after he retired
Old 9 May 2001, 12:49 (Ref:90672)   #21
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if I had to choose just one driver, as I like so many of em, I'd have to say Jim Richards. For his speed, versatility and he's a nice guy too.
Old 9 May 2001, 23:06 (Ref:90870)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Oh oh, and Jim Richards! I can happily say that I am one of the privledged few who have an autographed copy of his book (the one with the black BMW on the front)
Old 11 May 2001, 15:21 (Ref:91250)   #23
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
actually I have decided that this is a pretty silly thread..how can I be expected to choose who my favorite drivers are ???

its impossible..I like all of them except for Alan Jones
Old 12 May 2001, 23:57 (Ref:91647)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Marcus, Bob Pearson has been unable to race because he is still suffering from injuries sustained after being punted off at Oran Park in his Group N Historic Toruing Car.
Old 13 May 2001, 02:48 (Ref:91675)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think before his Grp N shunt he hit the bridge at OP...

But if you had read Elephino's write up, you'd know that he is back out there and winning!

(Now Elephino, where's my money?? )