Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Aug 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2527738)   #1
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi announces they will contest Petit

Allan/Dindo and Lucas/Marco with Rocky as reserve.
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...us&fr=chr-acer
Old 25 Aug 2009, 08:54 (Ref:2527753)   #2
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
The distinct linkage with marketing Audi TDI road cars in the US is also highly encouraging for a deeper engagement next year.

I think there's a lot of positives to be drawn from this, not least setting up what could be the race of the year at PLM.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 09:24 (Ref:2527769)   #3
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm incredibly dissapointed with this, all chances of an upset from Oreca or Acura, or even a petrol on the podium, have been thrown out of the window now.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2527772)   #4
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here's the info from Joest, it's easier to read!
http://www.joest-racing.de/web/news/...=448&sprache=e
Old 25 Aug 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2527778)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
From 2006 to 2008, Audi dominated the American Le Mans Series with the revolutionary R10 TDI
Haha! Good one, Joest! They seem to have forgotten losing every other race to Penske last year.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2527789)   #6
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I'm incredibly dissapointed with this, all chances of an upset from Oreca or Acura, or even a petrol on the podium, have been thrown out of the window now.
I cant see why anyone would be dissappointed - this will clearly be a hotly contested race and the first time since Sebring that the 3 manufacturers have gone head to head and this time the Acura and Audi are no longer out of the box new cars. This should be a great race and what we have been waiting for in ALMS since Sebring. Hopefully it will bring better TV coverage in the UK as well
Old 25 Aug 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2527797)   #7
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I cant see why anyone would be dissappointed - this will clearly be a hotly contested race and the first time since Sebring that the 3 manufacturers have gone head to head and this time the Acura and Audi are no longer out of the box new cars. This should be a great race and what we have been waiting for in ALMS since Sebring. Hopefully it will bring better TV coverage in the UK as well
I agree. Isn't anybody else interested in seeing how far the Acura has come along?
Old 25 Aug 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2527811)   #8
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You gotta be kiddin'
Peugeot and now Audi back, to go at it. Don't rule out Acura for a podium, I reckon they are going to be closer to the front than they were at Sebring against the Audis and Pugs. They have a full season under their belts in the ALMS (admittedly against each other) and are better for it. And Brabs will be out to show his frog mates a thing or two. Having said that, I won't be putting too much money on them. Dr Ullrich and company will be wanting to make amends for their LM24 failure.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2527812)   #9
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news
Old 25 Aug 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2527835)   #10
Mockenrue
Racer

United Kingdom
Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK
Mockenrue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the Autosport article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77984
Old 25 Aug 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2527841)   #11
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
I'm not moving on this one. It looked like it could be a straight Acura vs AM challenge, then AM pulled out, Pug came in and now Audi. We have 4 trucks. I'd rather we didn't have any. Its a real shame.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2527877)   #12
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not moving on this one. It looked like it could be a straight Acura vs AM challenge, then AM pulled out, Pug came in and now Audi. We have 4 trucks. I'd rather we didn't have any. Its a real shame.
I totally disagree with almost everything you are saying
Having Acura + AM would have been good but it is a lot better with 4 major competitors rather than just 2. The fact that Audi has now joined the battle is probably some of the best news as almost every ALMS or even sportcar fans have been asking none stop when the return of Audi would be. Looking at back at last year... the race was immense so with the addition of 2 more teams will just make the show even better.

Also if we didn't have any 'trucks' then there would be no race except in GT2, but there needs to be a race in every class (especially in the LMP1) so the more the better I say
Old 25 Aug 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2527883)   #13
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92scotland View Post
I totally disagree with almost everything you are saying
Having Acura + AM would have been good but it is a lot better with 4 major competitors rather than just 2. The fact that Audi has now joined the battle is probably some of the best news as almost every ALMS or even sportcar fans have been asking none stop when the return of Audi would be. Looking at back at last year... the race was immense so with the addition of 2 more teams will just make the show even better.

Also if we didn't have any 'trucks' then there would be no race except in GT2, but there needs to be a race in every class (especially in the LMP1) so the more the better I say
I disagree, we could have had 6 competitive, load, non-smelly petrol engined cars fighting it out, Oreca and AM starting strong, Acuras coming back after their tires warm up.

I'm not a fan of diesels, never will be. It probably won't create a decent battle, the Pugs are a lot quicker anyway. We'll see.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2527892)   #14
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It probably won't create a decent battle, the Pugs are a lot quicker anyway. We'll see.
If thats the why is Audis addition such a problem for you?
Old 25 Aug 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2527898)   #15
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I disagree, we could have had 6 competitive, load, non-smelly petrol engined cars fighting it out, Oreca and AM starting strong, Acuras coming back after their tires warm up.

I'm not a fan of diesels, never will be. It probably won't create a decent battle, the Pugs are a lot quicker anyway. We'll see.
Well sorry but I still and probably will never agree. The ALMS is the one of the main racing series which promotes alternative technologies. So with just petrol power in the field, it is not really helping their scheme. So with the Zytek Hybrid (although it is petrol) and the diesels joining the pack it is helping the series. The diesels has proven the race could be close, Sebring is a very good example. Audi needs the time to set the car up and get to grips with it, so with Audi able to get some set up time on the Sunday, it could/should make them closer. Acura should be up near the top now and the track may suit their car better than at Sebring. And then ORECA biting at their heels. So yeah, we'll see
Old 25 Aug 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2527933)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I know what you mean but , Im happy its not just 2 Pug's doing a John Wayne and heading off into the sunset .

I would have prefered to see Audi & Pug staying away .I dont think that that Acura will stand a chance , considering that development work has stopped too .

Could be an interesting battle between Acura and Oreca though .
Old 25 Aug 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2527936)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Isn't anybody else interested in seeing how far the Acura has come along?
I read in another thread on this forum that all development work on the Acura LMP1 has been stopped ..... I think ACura will be caught with their pants down , especially when you consider that Audi may well do 2010 ALMS in full .

Audi and Pug havent stopped their development . So , Im not sure how far the Acura has actually come along ?
Old 25 Aug 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2527991)   #18
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
I agree. Isn't anybody else interested in seeing how far the Acura has come along?
Seeing as Acura has publically stated that they stopped all development work on the car after Sebring, no, not really.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2527996)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

Id even be so bold to suggest that over the ten hours of PLM , it wouldnt surprise me to see the Acura being beaten by its little brother (Fernandez) !!!

Old 25 Aug 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2528016)   #20
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
Seeing as Acura has publically stated that they stopped all development work on the car after Sebring, no, not really.
Hmm, thats amazing. It seems McNish thinks they have developed farther than when they last contested against each other at Sebring!! Here

excerpt quote: "so they will have developed their car significantly"

L.P.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2528031)   #21
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
AM didn't "pull out." They never intended to be at Petit. They made some noises, but more in response to being "pushed" by questioners. "We'd like to, but...." etc.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2528032)   #22
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Hmm, thats amazing. It seems McNish thinks they have developed farther than when they last contested against each other at Sebring!! Here

excerpt quote: "so they will have developed their car significantly"

L.P.
I am sure there is an element of posturing in both camps - however there would at least be some natural development after running it in a few races both in the depth of knowledge of the car and the set up. They will also be likely to be able to run more aggressively than they would have in Sebring.

This race will be important for the ALMS championship as for the first time since Sebring there is a real chance of other P1's splitting the Acuras and thus there could be a bigger difference in their points haul - so they will both be out to make the best of it.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2528072)   #23
XJR88
Rookie

England
England
XJR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
however there would at least be some natural development after running it in a few races both in the depth of knowledge of the car and the set up.
I was about to say that and you beat me to it
Old 25 Aug 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2528088)   #24
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They're (Acura) still going to get walloped, therefore, I am happy to see Audi confirm their entry.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2528090)   #25
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I'm all in favour of debate and a divergence of opinions but I honestly can't see how Audi coming along can be anything other than good news.

I'm not 100% convinced that we out and out know that the 908 is faster than the R15, especially once you factor in the track, traffic, and tactical nous that 10 hours around Road Atlanta involves, so either way we've got a battle at the front. Acura should be able to keep the Europeans honest, and Oreca will be a fascinating benchmark about where European petrol LMP1s are in respect to the ALMS.

Let's remember this isn't a case of cars being taken away - if you want to look at respective performance between, for example, Oreca and Acura, there's absolutely nothing stopping you. For my money this entry starts to approach the high water mark we saw 12 months ago.