Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2773223)   #51
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Posted in wrong thread, so edited out content. (cant delete my own posts.)
If a mod sees this please delete the post if you wish.

Last edited by E.B; 11 Oct 2010 at 16:40.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2773486)   #52
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
The problem was that the FIA had ignored this rule 100s of times since it was created. Not giving a sporting penalty was indeed the consistent way of dealing with it.
There is a major difference: the FIA found Ferrari guilty of breaking the rules, yet they allowed them to retain the benefit of breaking the rules.

I agree the FIA has also been wrong in not coming down on other previous examples of team orders.

As an aside, I am surprised that no-one else has identified that it wasn't "Ferrari" that handled the team orders so badly, it was Rob Smedley and Felipe Massa. My interpretation was that Ferrari had the plan up their sleeve from the beginning. But RS was so pi$$ed off that his man was being pushed out of the way that he chose to make it screamingly obvious. Then FM did likewise in the way he gave away the place. I reckon Rob Smedley got a serious reprimand after that one. Actually I was surprised he kept his job at all, but we'll see whether he keeps it next year.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 00:10 (Ref:2773500)   #53
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I reckon Rob Smedley got a serious reprimand after that one. Actually I was surprised he kept his job at all, but we'll see whether he keeps it next year.
If they'd fired him immediately afterwards, that would have reeked of it being a team order from high up the organisation and certainly not in the Massa camp. Of course, everyone knew that anyway, but what with the Alonso's side (probably Stefano Domenicali, Colajanni and Alonso himself) and Massa's side (Rob Smedley and Felipe Massa) all protesting team harmony, it would have suggested otherwise if they'd got rid of him straight away.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2773687)   #54
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
If they'd fired him immediately afterwards, that would have reeked of it being a team order from high up the organisation and certainly not in the Massa camp. Of course, everyone knew that anyway, but what with the Alonso's side (probably Stefano Domenicali, Colajanni and Alonso himself) and Massa's side (Rob Smedley and Felipe Massa) all protesting team harmony, it would have suggested otherwise if they'd got rid of him straight away.
Always the voice of reason. But wouldn't you have liked to be a fly on the wall when Luca de Gorgonzola got Rob Smedley in a closed room afterwards?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2773711)   #55
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Like i've said before, I'm sure i'm not alone in saying i'd love to see Felipe elsewhere along with Mr Smedley.

Selby
Old 12 Oct 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2773712)   #56
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think him and Kobayashi would have been a great pairing at Sauber, but we know that's now impossible. I think that Williams seat would be a nice fit..

Selby
Old 12 Oct 2010, 11:40 (Ref:2773750)   #57
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ferrari's case was different. Not only did they break the rules, but they also gave step-by-step instructions on how to do it really badly in a situation that affected the outcome of podium positions.

I have no doubt that 'team orders' have been used again by other teams since that episode. Where and when? Will we ever know?
Old 17 Oct 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2776354)   #58
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Ferrari have shown us what they will do to win the championship..... so whats next.

Would they go so far as to put KERS back in Alonso's car for the final 3 races?
If Alonso won the final 3 races, with Webber and Vettel scrapping for 2nd's and 3rds then Alonso would win the drivers championship.
They have shown that they will break the "no team orders" rule to try win the championship. Considering that the "no KERS" rule is only a gentlemans agreement, i cant say they would sweat too much about breaking that.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2776366)   #59
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's an interesting point manwell. Anyone could run with KERS if they wanted. Gentlemen's agreements don't seem appropriate considering the way teams will stretch rules to the limit. KERS is still in the regs.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2776370)   #60
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck attaching KERS to a car not designed for it. I dont see any team fitting one to their current 2010 cars in the remainding 3 races
Old 18 Oct 2010, 01:04 (Ref:2776377)   #61
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Didn't FOTA agree not to use KERS in June last year?

The next year's car design would be fairly well on by then, and even then is it so hard to implement the system? The cars have not changed that much.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 01:42 (Ref:2776380)   #62
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It totally screws with the weight balance, since those batteries are pretty heavy. I think the all the development that has been taking place since then has made it unfeasable to try to attempt KERS at this stage.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 04:52 (Ref:2776433)   #63
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Good luck attaching KERS to a car not designed for it. I dont see any team fitting one to their current 2010 cars in the remainding 3 races
And with no testing! there is clearly far more to lose than to gain.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 06:14 (Ref:2776450)   #64
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Oh gentlemen where did this come from?