Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 May 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3251426)   #151
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just curious, what is it that everyone dislikes about the 97-98 era of U.S. sports car racing? This was before I started watching, and pretty much the only years that I don't have any information on.
Old 22 May 2013, 01:42 (Ref:3251466)   #152
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Just curious, what is it that everyone dislikes about the 97-98 era of U.S. sports car racing? This was before I started watching, and pretty much the only years that I don't have any information on.
Who says "everyone dislikes" the 97-98 era? Lots of Riley & Scott's, Ferrari 333SPs, Panoz GT1s, etc. I remember it as a pretty fun time for US racing fans. I guess the perception was that the racing wasn't very good because it was the last years of the IMSA series and it was replaced by GrandAm and ALMS and supposedly split the fan base.

DK
Old 22 May 2013, 04:09 (Ref:3251483)   #153
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just curious, what is it that everyone dislikes about the 97-98 era of U.S. sports car racing?
"Who the hell is Andy Evans?" I would suspect.
Old 22 May 2013, 06:40 (Ref:3251510)   #154
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
How would you rank your favorite classes in sportscar racing? Here is what I have from favorite to least favorite

1. GTE/GTLM (obviously)
2. FIA GT3 (very very close 2nd)
3. P1 (I like that these cars are mostly coupes now)
4. DP (only because of the Corvette DPs which I like, lose the generic rileys please)
5. P2 (find this class boring, won't miss it if disapears from USCR)
6. PC (find this boring too)
7. GTC/GTD (field fillers, not considered top level sportscar class)
Interesting question, I've never thought about it...
For me right now it's something like this :

1. GTE
2. GT3
3. P1
4. P2
5. anything else.

Hopefully in the next couple of years when more people join P1 it'll climb to the first spot of my list where it belongs, but right now there is not enough competition and GTE and GT3 classes are doing pretty well being what I enjoy the most.
Old 22 May 2013, 10:42 (Ref:3251582)   #155
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How would you rank your favorite classes in sportscar racing? Here is what I have from favorite to least favorite

1. GTE/GTLM (obviously)
2. FIA GT3 (very very close 2nd)
3. P1 (I like that these cars are mostly coupes now)
4. DP (only because of the Corvette DPs which I like, lose the generic rileys please)
5. P2 (find this class boring, won't miss it if disapears from USCR)
6. PC (find this boring too)
7. GTC/GTD (field fillers, not considered top level sportscar class)
1. P1 - the top level
2. GTE - close battle between a lot of manufacturers.
3. P2 - So many cars (albeit the same ones)
4. GT3 While BoP annoys the hell out of me in general, it works for GT3 style racing in Blancpain.
5.GTC/PC - they may be field fillers but it can be great racing.

As for DP, I just won't bother. If I could see more of it I'd imagine the Super GT classes would be in there.
Old 22 May 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3251663)   #156
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

The 94-98 era was one of the low points of fan interest in sportscars. Pretty much just Riley&Scotts and Ferraris. The Ferraris were interesting at least.

As far as my list.

1. P1
2. GT(E)
3. GT3
4. P2

The rest just isn't intersting.
Old 22 May 2013, 14:08 (Ref:3251683)   #157
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
P1
GTE
SuperGT
P2
GT3
DP
GTD (?)

P1 is the pinnacle, it is also just about the only form of motorsport at the moment that encourages any kind of variety. Just about every other form of 'closed wheel' racing, and even rallying, has gone down the route of silhouettes of mass production cars covering essentially identical cars underneath, with grossly over flared ugly bodywork. I'm thinking WTCC, WRC, DTM, etc, it appears to be the way the car makers want to go, but they are just soul-less mobile billboards to me. Even F1 is very samey, all the engines are the same, loads of running gear is shared and the cars outwardly are very similar, apart from minor aero details you need a telescope to see. I like the SuperGT GT500 cars of a couple of years ago, they remind me of 70's/80's Group 5 cars, but they have gone the identical engine, DTM silhouette route, the Lexus SC SGT is as ugly as sin. I haven't watched much of the Daytona 'P's', but from what I have seen they look a bit slow, in that they don't seem to move around much, and you'd be hard pressed to tell there are 3 or 4 makes involved as they all look exactly the same, bar the paint jobs.
Old 22 May 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3251704)   #158
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Who says "everyone dislikes" the 97-98 era? Lots of Riley & Scott's, Ferrari 333SPs, Panoz GT1s, etc. I remember it as a pretty fun time for US racing fans. I guess the perception was that the racing wasn't very good because it was the last years of the IMSA series and it was replaced by GrandAm and ALMS and supposedly split the fan base.

DK
Actually ALMS took the whole fan base.

My favorite classes of sportscars

P1
GTE
P2 (2007-2010 cars would be 2nd favorite)
GT3
LMPC
GTC

Everything else, I don't want to be a part of.

Last edited by gregtummer; 22 May 2013 at 14:57.
Old 22 May 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3251736)   #159
Coopz21 x
Rookie

England
South West, UK
Coopz21 x has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
1. GTE Pro/Am
2. FIA GT3 (very close)
3. P1
4. P2
5. DP
6. GTC
7. The rest
Old 22 May 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3251752)   #160
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
"Who the **** is Andy Evans?" I would suspect.
Yeah, that about sums up the question!
Old 22 May 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3251787)   #161
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
1. P1 Real racing prototypes---what it's all about
2. GTE/GTLM Real racing GTs (most of 'em) But BoP is always a problem here and always will be now that cars are purely commercial products and racing is an afterthought
3. FIA GT3 Real Racing GTs but as with GTE, BoP is always an issue
4. P2 Lower-cost modern prototypes--the entry-level, pro-Am class
5. PC Even lower cost modern prototypes--shouldn't be in a top-tier series but the top of the support series
6. GTC/GTD Should be the support series GT class
7. DP Should be historic racers
I'd second that.
Old 22 May 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3251865)   #162
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it strange that so many people choose P1 as their first option. I know it's the top level of endurance racing, but right now with only two real contenders and one of them running an "underfunded" (compared to Audi, according to what is said on the Toyota thread) program, I feel like more is needed in that particular class to be called "la crème de la crème".

Looking just from an entertainment point of view, would you still make it your first choice ? That's the only factor I took into account to make my list.
Old 22 May 2013, 21:05 (Ref:3251871)   #163
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
P1
GTE-Pro/ALMS GT
P2
FIA GT3
GTE-Am
Pirelli World Challenge
Grand Am GT (lose the prep 2)
Old 22 May 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3251880)   #164
Pikanjoe
Rookie

Pikanjoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#1 - GTE-Pro/ALMS GT all the way.
Old 22 May 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3251907)   #165
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GTE is my favorite class, however after attending my first race last year, the moments that most impressed me was the Dyson Racing #16 Lola Mazda screaming down the long front straight at Road America and the #6 Muscle Milk HPD flying around turn 5, with the traction control audibly working.
THAT was really cool!
Old 23 May 2013, 00:01 (Ref:3251919)   #166
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikanjoe View Post
#1 - GTE-Pro/ALMS GT all the way.
+1, with P1 in second.
Old 23 May 2013, 01:05 (Ref:3251939)   #167
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
GTE is my favorite class, however after attending my first race last year, the moments that most impressed me was the Dyson Racing #16 Lola Mazda screaming down the long front straight at Road America and the #6 Muscle Milk HPD flying around turn 5, with the traction control audibly working.
THAT was really cool!
Turn 5 at Road America is truly special, and the speed on the front straight can be amazing. those are 2 big reasons why Road America is my favorite track!
Old 23 May 2013, 01:16 (Ref:3251945)   #168
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Turn 5 at Road America is truly special, and the speed on the front straight can be amazing. those are 2 big reasons why Road America is my favorite track!
Canada Corner is awesome, too. Love the smell of the fuel on the front straight. Gorgeous track.
Old 23 May 2013, 01:50 (Ref:3251968)   #169
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
then be prepared for rebellion and muscle milk in a few months one after the other down the straight was awesome.
Old 23 May 2013, 02:21 (Ref:3251981)   #170
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
then be prepared for rebellion and muscle milk in a few months one after the other down the straight was awesome.
They were great at Sebring but seeing them battle at Laguna Seca was breath taking! Only need 2 cars for a race...
Old 23 May 2013, 03:37 (Ref:3251999)   #171
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
They were great at Sebring but seeing them battle at Laguna Seca was breath taking! Only need 2 cars for a race...
They are so equally matched, I wouldn't be surprised if every race in P1 is that impressive!
Old 23 May 2013, 06:24 (Ref:3252032)   #172
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Canada Corner is awesome, too. Love the smell of the fuel on the front straight. Gorgeous track.
Thats my favorite part of the track. Coming out from that top speed to make that turn.
Old 23 May 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3252083)   #173
gregtummer
Veteran

You could really get a sense of the speed the cars are carrying from the broadcast last year.
Old 23 May 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3252285)   #174
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody who ranks P2 ahead of GT3 cars is either crazy or just have not watched enough GT3 racing.

Why is P2 attractive? Those cars are so blah..except for the Lotus T128. Oreca, Alpine, Zytek, Morgan, HPD..they all look the same to me.
Old 23 May 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3252288)   #175
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Anybody who ranks P2 ahead of GT3 cars is either crazy or just have not watched enough GT3 racing.

Why is P2 attractive? Those cars are so blah..except for the Lotus T128. Oreca, Alpine, Zytek, Morgan, HPD..they all look the same to me.
Have you seen 2007-2008 ALMS?