Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:08 (Ref:694894)   #1
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the best season for AGES?

I have really enjoyed this season of F1. Over the years F1 has almost died a horrible but deserved death.
But this season has been top racing entertainment.
We have 4 races left and 4 drivers in a good position to win the championship. How long has it been since we had a championship this close?

Not every race has been tip top this year, but even the first race in 2003 had more excitement and racing than the whole of last season.

To be honest I don't care who wins this year, cos whoever does become world champ has really earnt it................but go Monty anyway

Last edited by J.McClane; 21 Aug 2003 at 22:09.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:11 (Ref:694896)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fly away races this year provided some good action then it all went a bit stale though the last couple of races have been tip top!

I think the closeness of the championship is only a good thing for the sport considering for the last two years the title had been done and dusted by now.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:17 (Ref:694904)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1999 was the last season with more than one contender... remember at one point Hakkinen, Irvine, Frentzen and Coulthard were all within 12 points... (after Monza I think)
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:17 (Ref:694905)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Is this the best season in ages? ...... without a doubt!

When was the last time 4 drivers could mathmatically win the WDC with only 4 races to go?
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:18 (Ref:694909)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Jordi, you just answered my question

Great minds think alike?????????
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:28 (Ref:694915)   #6
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

"To be honest I don't care who wins this year, cos whoever does become world champ has really earnt it................but go Monty anyway"

Ditto above sentiments - and Monty can go - to make room for this years WDC!

Sorry J.McClane - no offence meant.

Last edited by Pitstop; 21 Aug 2003 at 22:32.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:32 (Ref:694919)   #7
skylar1968
Rookie

skylar1968 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care who is gonna be champion this year. But it is a nice change to see MS working for his money.

Sky
Old 22 Aug 2003, 04:35 (Ref:695093)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although I've missed more races then I would have liked, this season definately had more interesting races then in the past.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 06:02 (Ref:695131)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This been the best season of the new millenium so far!!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 07:01 (Ref:695158)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it's the best year of F1 apart from 1999 - of course out of the years I've watched (since mid-to-late 90's).

There have been:

Seven Different Race Winners
Four Drivers Still in With a Good Chance
Some Great Races eg. Brazil, Britain
Plenty of Memorable Moments
There has been some Overtaking!
Very few boring processions
Old 22 Aug 2003, 08:54 (Ref:695260)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has been a great season to date & hopefully it can continue right through to Suzuka.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:07 (Ref:695276)   #12
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definetaly a good season so far. And 'mathematically', seven drivers could still win - unlikely, but it could happen.

Of course, if TGF does well in the next couple of races, he could have it wrapped up before the end.

I am hoping for some more start line crashes in the next couple of races as Couthard will not get involved in them (too far down the grid!) and niether Alsonso (launch control too good, thus through the first corner before any problems occur!) and this will let them get back up the points a bit for a good final couple of races.

Anyone know what the 'most people who can win in the last race' has even been in F1? I can remember a few 2 and 3 contenders, but we could be looking at more this year.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:08 (Ref:695277)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could just do with another winner - Alonso please, because against my own advice (?!) I've backed him each-way at 22-1.

It is a classic though, and the beauty is that the winner will make me happy either way - Schumacher if he really is mentally tough enough to fight and fight and hold on to it, or Montoya because we need a new champion so bad and Williams need to get back on top.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 19:57 (Ref:695950)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have to say this is the best season the i've ever seen, taking into account that i'm 17 and didn't really follow F1 too closely until about 6 years ago.
i also have a very serious memory problem (caused by the trauma of watching last season) so its not a very good indication.
anyway, Go Monty!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:05 (Ref:695965)   #15
Mrs J Wilson
Rookie

Mrs J Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My bf is getting me into racing last yrs I though it was really boring this yr though my fav driver is in and now moved to jag and seems to be doing really well and its generally alot more interesting and I would love kimi to win I DONT like couthard though I know hes scottish and we should support our own but I find him really arrogant.

Last edited by Mrs J Wilson; 22 Aug 2003 at 20:07.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:10 (Ref:695973)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rubics Cube?
Arrogant?
He's a poodle for christ sake!

If you want arrogant, just listen to Eddie!
Oh right, he's not in F1 anymore...
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:20 (Ref:695989)   #17
Mrs J Wilson
Rookie

Mrs J Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe arrogant was the wrong word to use sorry but I just dont like his attitude much whenever Ive seen him he just doesnt do it for me eg wilson good sheffield yorkshire lad mr perfect what can I say.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:23 (Ref:695993)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's just hope he doesn't end up like DC.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:32 (Ref:696004)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's been fantastic, with only a couple of dremotely ull races - the usual suspects of Spain and Imola provided races which were poor by 2003 standards byut good by 2002.

The naw rules have made a big difference,, and allowe dthe real racers (Montoya, ALonso and Raikkonen)_ to break through, while elaving guys like DC struggling,a dn making it much harder for Michael. the onyl downer is that the points system means that a man with onyl 3 podiums form 12 races is within touching distance of the lead.

The very best race would ahve to be Silverstone, with mroe overtaking in the last 15 laps than the whole of 2002. But almost every race has had some kind of drama and surprise, and modst of the results have been in doubt for at least half the race - I think only Spain, Nurburgring, France and Germany were really dominated by one man - and even then Alonso challenged in Spain, Montoya in France, and the startline crash affected Germany.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 21:23 (Ref:696048)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man

If you want arrogant, just listen to Eddie!
Is it arrogance, or character?
Old 22 Aug 2003, 21:53 (Ref:696067)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

When he's telling the truth (TGF being a wuss for example), then that's character.
When he's talking nonsense (like saying that he's the 2nd best driver), then it's arrogance.

So he's a bit of both sides.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 22 Aug 2003 at 21:56.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 21:59 (Ref:696071)   #22
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its definitely what F1 needs a bit more of though, drivers that speak their minds!

Not the pre-programmed robot speak, anyone who read the piece about Schumi's practice puncture at Hockenheim in Autosport last week will know exactly what i mean.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 21:12 (Ref:696825)   #23
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO. I listen on the radio when I can remember what day it is where ever we happen to be. ( I live on a yacht) sounds bl**dy terrible, and the qualifying and speeds are oh so poor!
No wonder poor old Bernie is looking for some new venues, some of the paying public must have nodded awft.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 21:50 (Ref:696859)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Not the pre-programmed robot speak, anyone who read the piece about Schumi's practice puncture at Hockenheim in Autosport last week will know exactly what i mean.
I read that article too, and it's a bit sad when (all) drivers aren't allowed to speak about things when it's totally obvious to the outside world what has happenend!

To carry on from this, theres a piece in this month's F1Racing magazine where one of the journalists went down to Germany with the Jordan truckies, all the different teams play music whilst setting the trucks and garages up, McLaren don't permit their truckies to do the same because it doesn't fit the company image

Earlier in the year, the drivers played a pro-am tennis competition (JPM and Sanchez won) but Kimi and DC did not participate because of the same reason as above

The way the teams stop their drivers/staff from doing/saying things nowadays is total B
Old 23 Aug 2003, 22:13 (Ref:696885)   #25
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't fallen asleep during a race yet this season - can't be bad!

I tend to fall asleep in the Friday qual, but the Saturday qual has tended to be quite exciting - today's was great!