Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Mar 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1863631)   #1
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Britcar TV & DVD problems

Quoted from front page of eerc.co.uk:

Skysport and MotorsTV are the two stations available to a Championship like Britcar

The Price of television take up a large amount of entry fees???

IS IT WORTH IT????

We have filmed nearly every round and for example spent 24k on the 24hr last year to get back 37 sales of dvd's @ £10.00....

Is it getting anyone through the gate, No. Does it benefit the club? No. It is just an indulgence,

Has anyone got an answer to this expensive problem.....
Would everyone contribute?? I am sure the answer will be no.

Sounds a bit negative, can't believe that they only sold 37 copies of the DVD for the 24hr!

So, as the man said "Has anyone got an answer?"; or can a championship with such expensive cars still flourish without media coverage?
Old 11 Mar 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1863658)   #2
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think the previous TV coverage has had any affect on grids?

Personally, I think the value for money makes it a complete waste of that money.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1863666)   #3
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
Quoted from front page of eerc.co.uk:

Skysport and MotorsTV are the two stations available to a Championship like Britcar

The Price of television take up a large amount of entry fees???

IS IT WORTH IT????

We have filmed nearly every round and for example spent 24k on the 24hr last year to get back 37 sales of dvd's @ £10.00....

Is it getting anyone through the gate, No. Does it benefit the club? No. It is just an indulgence,

Has anyone got an answer to this expensive problem.....
Would everyone contribute?? I am sure the answer will be no.

Sounds a bit negative, can't believe that they only sold 37 copies of the DVD for the 24hr!

So, as the man said "Has anyone got an answer?"; or can a championship with such expensive cars still flourish without media coverage?
Go to the Britcar Forum on Pistonheads and there you will find alot of the drivers already discussing this topic in some detail! Hope 10/10ths dont mind this plug for an alternate forum?
Old 11 Mar 2007, 17:14 (Ref:1863699)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would anyone buy a DVD of what is effectively a club meeting, especially when you can record it off Sky.

Maybe Britcar need to invest what money they have on local promotion to get people thorugh the gates.

I've missed the last two Britcar meetings at Oulton Park because the first I heard of them was the reports on DSC!
Old 11 Mar 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1863786)   #5
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they were charged £24k for the 24 hour race then they were ripped off. My company will do it for 1/2 that!!

I was one that bought the DVD but only because I rang up and asked if it was different to the Sky footage that had been on TV a lot. I was told yes by claire and told it had loads if extra footage and extras......did it? Did it ********

why would they hope to fund tv from dvd sales.......
Old 11 Mar 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1863791)   #6
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Why would anyone buy a DVD of what is effectively a club meeting, especially when you can record it off Sky.

Maybe Britcar need to invest what money they have on local promotion to get people thorugh the gates.

I've missed the last two Britcar meetings at Oulton Park because the first I heard of them was the reports on DSC!
JAG it's the age old problem of the Organisers doing all the promotion not the curcuit! Once the curcuit has been booked and paid for they have little interest in getting people through the gates as this adds to the cost of cleaning up and effective crowd control. There have been many arguments over who should promote such events and it has always been the same responses. We, the paying public have to dig around on sites like these to find many events, and if you are like me then you to have been frustrated by the lack of information from circuits and organisers alike! I eventually decided to join the BMMC and BRSCC and become a marshal in order that I dont miss out any more!
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1864028)   #7
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who gets the gate income the track owners or the series that hires the track ?
Old 11 Mar 2007, 23:20 (Ref:1864115)   #8
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe it's the track. The race/series organisers only get money from entry fees and suchlike.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1865705)   #9
davemk7
Racer

davemk7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this looks like bad news, the britcar (24 hour) has some very interesting prospects. I really enjoyed last years race (i'd happily watch an and all britcar events).

Support britcar, it should be the number 1 series in the uk.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 20:41 (Ref:1866712)   #10
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemk7
this looks like bad news, the britcar (24 hour) has some very interesting prospects. I really enjoyed last years race (i'd happily watch an and all britcar events).

Support britcar, it should be the number 1 series in the uk.
It has all the ingredients but not necessarily in the right proportions! I for one will be watching the Vde V series with growing interest due to the 6hour format and a set of regs that arent being picked apart every few weeks! That said I still enjoy Britcar and wish James every success for the future!
Old 14 Mar 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1866779)   #11
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
If they were charged £24k for the 24 hour race then they were ripped off. My company will do it for 1/2 that!!
£24k to cover a 24 hour race sounds like a bargain to me.

Remember it runs on the GP version of Silverstone - that's a long circuit and one which would take a minimum of 16 cameras to cover (national circuit needs 8, international 11).

To man those cameras for 24 hours you will need either two or three cameramen per camera (depending on how far you company wants to push the Health and Safety laws).

...So that's £10k already just on people - hiring the cameras and lenses adds another £5k, and I haven't included any on-boards or pit lane coverage.

The other costs depend on whether you live-cut or edit later from the iso records.

An OB to live cut is going to come in at £20-25k.
Post-producing from tapes will be significantly cheaper but will be time consuming and will be £2k plus however much you want to pay yourself to spend a week planning the edit.

Then you need to pay commentators and pit lane reporters - and good people are expensive.

Having said that, I don't believe Britcar needs TV coverage.
I would also go as far as saying that Sky got more benefit from last year's coverage than Britcar did.