Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3926854)   #101
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think TrapezeArtist is not referring to Red Bull as 'a lesser team'', but any team not Mercedes - Ferrari - Red Bull.
He's wondering if Vettel would be prepared to fight for 7th race in - race out without better prospects barring mishaps to the 3 teams mentioned above.

Yes, you're right, I misread. I agree, only one of the top three teams would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ew1I5HbA60

They seems to get along quite well indeed....
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 10:33 (Ref:3926855)   #102
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don't think the kids are the solution. Don't think Alesi and Schumacher are right for F1 now, we'll have to see who comes in next season. I don't think F3 champions are the answer, we'll have to see who does well in F2 in 2020
Russell has been very impressive at Williams, was impressive in F2, and should be moved somewhere better next year.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3926859)   #103
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Russell has been very impressive at Williams, was impressive in F2, and should be moved somewhere better next year.
Or maybe Williams might be better next year?
Old 9 Sep 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3926864)   #104
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Russell is the next one to have the Ocon/Mercedes problem.

Assuming he's the next one Mercedes really wants, why would any other team invest in him and then lose him to Mercedes?
There are no Mercedes-powered cars available anymore (apart from Williams) so moving up in 2020 may be difficult.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3926865)   #105
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Russell is the next one to have the Ocon/Mercedes problem.

Assuming he's the next one Mercedes really wants, why would any other team invest in him and then lose him to Mercedes?
There are no Mercedes-powered cars available anymore (apart from Williams) so moving up in 2020 may be difficult.
He has to be watching the Ocon situation and taking notes. He HAS to demonstrate he can do more with the Mercedes than Bottas, but the fact MB only renewed Bottas on a one year leaves Russell space. And if Lewis gets bored and moves on, he ha a much better shot of moving up as well.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3926902)   #106
Ground Effect
Rookie

Australia
Martin, WA
Ground Effect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tell you what, LECLERC has turned up the heat in the kitchen and Vettel has stopped cooking.

Ferrari need to bring back Alonso, throw some money at Verstappen or have a punt on Mick.

All great options but Alonso can still mince the meat in my expert opinion.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3926921)   #107
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Everyone keeps trying to factor Alonso into the equation. My impression from interviews with him at Monzo is that he is sitting on his hands until 2021 regulations are being released. That he is not impressed with the recent "improvements". We are seeing someone other than Hamilton win races, but it looks like he is looking for more substantial changes before jumping back in. Also... I think he even acknowledges his age. He seems to be looking more and more past F1 for his future.

With that being said... Only Alonso knows what is going on in his head. So never say never. But I don't expect Alonso to take up a drive unless it's a multiyear contract and with Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull (of which there are argument for why each of those teams may not care to have him).

Richard
Old 9 Sep 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3926924)   #108
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think TrapezeArtist is not referring to Red Bull as 'a lesser team'', but any team not Mercedes - Ferrari - Red Bull.
He's wondering if Vettel would be prepared to fight for 7th race in - race out without better prospects barring mishaps to the 3 teams mentioned above.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3926958)   #109
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just my opinion but i dont really see any reason why Vettee could not transition nicely into a number 2 spot at Ferrari and i actually see him bouncing back in a big way once the load is removed entirely or shared more with the other driver.

i dont know him obviously so could be way off base but do others see him as having the kind of ego/personality that would prevent him from recognizing his decline in form?
Old 9 Sep 2019, 23:53 (Ref:3927020)   #110
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
He has to be watching the Ocon situation and taking notes. He HAS to demonstrate he can do more with the Mercedes than Bottas, but the fact MB only renewed Bottas on a one year leaves Russell space. And if Lewis gets bored and moves on, he ha a much better shot of moving up as well.

I thought the reason for Bottas' continued employment was his complete mediocrity!
Old 9 Sep 2019, 23:59 (Ref:3927022)   #111
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I thought the reason for Bottas' continued employment was his complete mediocrity!
If they think Russell isn't ready then he is the safe points scoring bet, why bring in someone who may not score consistently AND upset the apple cart?
Old 10 Sep 2019, 00:04 (Ref:3927024)   #112
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
just my opinion but i dont really see any reason why Vettee could not transition nicely into a number 2 spot at Ferrari and i actually see him bouncing back in a big way once the load is removed entirely or shared more with the other driver.

i dont know him obviously so could be way off base but do others see him as having the kind of ego/personality that would prevent him from recognizing his decline in form?
Leclerc's Spa win was handily assisted by Vettel being difficult to overtake, and I don't think that Vettel's blocking of Hamilton in the final lap of Q3 hurt too much either.
On a separate note Leclerc and Vettel seem to have good chemistry, so they may be able to push each other and also contribute to one another's success. Perhaps Vettel's Ferrari tenure is not as limited as some think. ?

Being a Ferrari favourite driver with Leclerc there is going to be difficult for anyone who doesn't speak Italian, did you see the podium interview where he answered Brundle's question in Italian? 100% fluency there!
Old 10 Sep 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3927159)   #113
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Ricciardo is the answer at Ferrari. Speaks Italian (with an Aussie accent, but good enough), is fast, and is well-loved by the tifosi. Impossible not to like him in my opinion - always with a smile on his face. Does he have an exit clause in his Renault contract?
Old 10 Sep 2019, 14:06 (Ref:3927169)   #114
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
He left one top team as didn’t like playing second fiddle to the faster young gun. Is Ferrari that different to that?

Mind you, I guess he now knows how poorly Renault is run.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3927176)   #115
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Ferrari have recent history of retaining an under-performing former WDC as a second driver for season after season, and who plainly had no hope of ever winning the championship again.

I reckon he will stay in the red car, or take a sabbatical.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3927206)   #116
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
He left one top team as didn’t like playing second fiddle to the faster young gun. Is Ferrari that different to that?

Mind you, I guess he now knows how poorly Renault is run.
Exactly. He needs to get the heck out of there. And he's of Italian origin - I am sure he'd welcome the opportunity to drive for Ferrari.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3927228)   #117
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Exactly. He needs to get the heck out of there. And he's of Italian origin - I am sure he'd welcome the opportunity to drive for Ferrari.

I think it would give Ferrari enormous publicity. The battle royal between the new kid that has won their harts with his victories in Spa and Monza and Ricciardo who gets the natural affection of the Italian crowd.

It would also be a great story for F1 in general and as said, it would be one heck of a line up to take on Mercedes and Red Bull.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3927231)   #118
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Updated based on recent events:

Mercedes
- Hamilton
- Bottas

Ferrari
- Leclerc
- Ricciardo

Red Bull
- Verstappen
- Vettel

McLaren
- Sainz
- Norris

Renault
- Ocon
- Gasly

Sauber
- Raikkonen
- Giovinazzi

Racing Point
- Perez
- Stroll

Haas:
- Magnussen
- Hulkenberg

Torro Rosso
- Kvyat
- Albon

Williams:
- Russell
- de Vries

De Vries does not have any big sponsorship and Williams need money: so that will probably be Latifi, and Vettel to Red Bull while Max is there won't happen either, Vettel also can't handle the pressure of beeing in one team with Leclerc at the moment.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3927232)   #119
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Effect View Post
I tell you what, LECLERC has turned up the heat in the kitchen and Vettel has stopped cooking.

Ferrari need to bring back Alonso, throw some money at Verstappen or have a punt on Mick.

All great options but Alonso can still mince the meat in my expert opinion.
You know Mick is only P11 in a mediocre F2 field at the moment?
Old 10 Sep 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3927238)   #120
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Mick has to really really go go perform.. unless they want a media stunt job just for the cameras and that would be sad..

Last edited by djinvicta; 10 Sep 2019 at 20:41. Reason: Spelling.. I was never good and now at 64? Worse..
Old 10 Sep 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3927245)   #121
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ricciardo is the answer at Ferrari. Speaks Italian (with an Aussie accent, but good enough), is fast, and is well-loved by the tifosi. Impossible not to like him in my opinion - always with a smile on his face. Does he have an exit clause in his Renault contract?
This has been bouncing around my head the last few days. It really seems an obvious choice.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 22:58 (Ref:3927256)   #122
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Effect View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Mick has to really really go go perform.. unless they want a media stunt job just for the cameras and that would be sad..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
You know Mick is only P11 in a mediocre F2 field at the moment?
Does he have the requisite points to earn a SuperLicense at this point? The last total I saw from the end of the 2017 season he was on 20 of the 40 needed. Winning F3 earned him 30 in 2018 to total 50 but he wouldn't have enough points next season as the 20 from F4 (German and Italian 2nd) expire. Now why he can't get his license this year and renew as a license holder I don't know, but I think he would have to be entered with a team and in a race weekend session. But if that I'm not sure at all, the FIA has some rules well hidden.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 08:06 (Ref:3927283)   #123
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently he does have an exit clause if Ferrari or Mercedes come knocking.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:06 (Ref:3927298)   #124
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Does he (Mick Schumacher) have the requisite points to earn a SuperLicense at this point?
No.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3927304)   #125
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's unlikely he'll be in F1 anytime soon TBH