Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 Sep 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1398687)   #1
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is indeed very sad news.

I was testing at Cadwell on Friday and tried to make an effort to lay some flowers behind the barrier alongside the start line only to be stopped from going to that side of the track by some marshalls.

I have many friends who raced alongside Chris and naturally they're very upset by his death, but are also angered that he was allowed to start the race. What hasn't come out in the media is that he actually broke some bones in a crash earlier on that weekend. Meaning he lost virtually all of his feel for the clutch, resulting in a startline stall at the front of the grid.

Very sad and very avoidable.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1398713)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Alex, I find the opinions expressed in your post totally unacceptable.

We have lost the most promising rider this country has seen for a very long time; a very sad loss. Your comments are offensive both to the memory of a great rider & to everyone connected with motorcycle sport. Please do not turn this thread into a pathetic attempt to find a scapegoat.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1398814)   #3
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Dave , I dont see any reason for your post.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1398830)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
Dave , I dont see any reason for your post.
Your original post was insensitive & inappropriate for a public forum.

Quote:
but are also angered that he was allowed to start the race.
Such thoughts should, I feel, be kept private. In making that comment you are passing judgement on the actions of a number of honourable people; what right have you to act as judge & jury?
Old 4 Sep 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1398874)   #5
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
I see your point now Dave. I'm sure you understand that I meant to cause no offence to anyone.

However I was voicing his racing peers thoughts and not my own.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 07:09 (Ref:1399242)   #6
acotrel
Racer

acotrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Alex, I find the opinions expressed in your post totally unacceptable.

We have lost the most promising rider this country has seen for a very long time; a very sad loss. Your comments are offensive both to the memory of a great rider & to everyone connected with motorcycle sport. Please do not turn this thread into a pathetic attempt to find a scapegoat.
Dave, I raced for several years between mid 60s to mid 70s, and I knew about 5 riders who were killed around that period. It's not a matter of looking for scapegoats. It's a matter of learning. If a simple risk assessment after a visit to the doctor can prevent a recurrence of similar incidents, then the loss of that kid can be perceived to not be so miserable.
I suggest the suggestion that the incident was avoidable, should be taken seriously, and if possible any mechanism which might improve the situation should be investigated.
I am extremely sorry that this young person has lost his life.
Best Regards,
Alan Cotterell
Old 5 Sep 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1399491)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
I see your point now Dave. I'm sure you understand that I meant to cause no offence to anyone.
That's OK - I think sometimes we forget that this forum is a public place & that what we think & feel in private may sometimes be better not expressed in public.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1399908)   #8
acotrel
Racer

One of my friends said a while back, that every time we fall off a motorcycle, we could be killed. I raced for years, and never looked at it like that. However I believe there is some truth in what he says, so how do you rationalise it? I'm certainly not going to stop riding. It comes to all of us sometime.
The new Australian 'Guide to Managing Risk in Motor Sport' has been released for public comment. It can be obtained through www.standards.com.au If you want to help your sport, feel free to participate in devcelopment of this important document, even if you live outside Australia!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1400365)   #9
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have now moved the tributes and memories of young Chris Jones to the tribute forum. All the other discussion which is pertinent to bike racing as a whole has been kept in the bike forum.

Thank you.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1408527)   #10
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys can you check out the thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73610

Try and give to the memorial fund if you can - its a good cause.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1411490)   #11
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is indeed very sad news.

I was testing at Cadwell on Friday and tried to make an effort to lay some flowers behind the barrier alongside the start line only to be stopped from going to that side of the track by some marshalls.

I have many friends who raced alongside Chris and naturally they're very upset by his death, but are also angered that he was allowed to start the race. What hasn't come out in the media is that he actually broke some bones in a crash earlier on that weekend. Meaning he lost virtually all of his feel for the clutch, resulting in a startline stall at the front of the grid.

Very sad and very avoidable.
As someone who has marshaled whilst Chris was racing (although not at that particular meeting), I'm sorry Alex, I have to agree with Dave. Your comment was a little insensitive.

At the end of the day, a doctor can only advise a rider not to race, but cannot force him/her not to. It was up to Chris weather he took the doc's advise or felt that his hand would be okay to ride with.
Although this a tragic accident, weather it was avoidable or not is not the question. Chris was a very... very talented rider and he obviously felt his hand would be okay, but weather that had any bearing on the incident we can never know.
I, for one will miss him greatly. A truely nice young man.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 08:03 (Ref:1411977)   #12
acotrel
Racer

Who was running the meeting? Who's 'DUTY OF CARE' was it to evaluate the Doctor's report and say who may race and who may not? Who arranged the insurance? What did the insurance company say about the incident? I'm not being insensitive, however if you cannot answer the questions, there may be something wrong with the way your promoter is managing the risks associated with your race meetibngs.
I'm not playing devil's advocate, however in Australia the competent authority for road racing in each state is, or is becoming, the Workcover Authority responsible for workplace safety. Current OHS law defines an employers 'Duty of Care' in terms of identifying and minimising risks.
A death at a race meeting is considered very serious, and can lead to manslaughter charges where there is gross negligence.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1412683)   #13
acotrel
Racer

I apologise if I was a little blunt in my last post. I'm involved with a motor race circuit near my home. Two weeks ago another promoter ran a Superbike meeting with our help. 40 riders crashed and were treated and assessed in our casualty rooms. The person doing the assessment was NOT a doctor, he was a trained paramedic. He is considered to be better than a doctor for the purpose of looking at broken bones and helping the patient get to hospital where he/she could possibly be operated on. Our paramedic has occasionally called on the air ambulance (helicopter) to get badly injured riders to a city hospital where they can get the best treatment.
A doctor cannot usually operate safely on an injured person at a motor race circuit, and can spend his day there, bored stupid, and almost totally ineffective.
A comment was made to me that 'many motorcycle racers don't know what game they're in', and I believe that's true.
When 'On Any Sunday' (movie) came out several years ago, a rider in it, soaked off a cast from his back, and went racing - TOTALLY THE WRONG MESSAGE. At a motocross meeting I was attending years ago, a rider walked around the pit for hours with a bone in his leg broken. When his father got him to a hospital near his home 250 km away,late that night, they amputated the leg.
It's about culture, risk assessments and behavioural safety. The thing is to never repeat our shortcomings.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1412926)   #14
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was it a club racing event :