Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jan 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4030731)   #1026
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Robert you are so right. One of the positive outcomes of the crisis has been to drag MSUK into the 21st century. They have been clinging to procedures grounded in the time of Brooklands.

This has been a good move.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jan 2021, 18:35 (Ref:4030733)   #1027
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Normally about now I'd be planning my marshalling season. Even before I start looking at it some meetings have changed or been cancelled, so I can't see the point. Add to that uncertainty as to whether I can take a caravan meaning two day meetings at many venues are possibly unrealistic, I shall wait until:

a) I think I'm prepared to go to a meeting anywhere and
b) I'm reasonably sure what meetings will go on.

I've commented in my Competition Corner article for the next Alfa Romeo Driver (the AROC magazine) that I'm concerned that we may be constrained in the near future by a shortage of marshals because (a) having taken a year off, some simply won't be prepared to come back or (b) ongoing concern about risking any contact outside the home.

Of much more concern will be whether medical cover can be provided with most NHS staff having been under intense pressure for almost a year, and a likelihood that demands on them will remain high for some time. I couldn't with hand on heart claim that our sport is a priority for scarce medical resources......
Old 23 Jan 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4030808)   #1028
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
There are a whole range of issues facing the sport at the moment and I do applaud, as an organisers and competitor, the actions the new regime at MSUK are taking.
There is a huge issue with the high age of organisers, competitors and marshals. Many may have found other things to do in the past year that are enjoyable and costs a lot less.
The last event I did was the Prescott Classic in October 2019 and I remarked at the time that the event could have easily been held on a weekday as virtually and the competitors, marshals, organisers and spectators were of a retired age.
Clubs also face the challenge of the commercial sector coming in and running any aspect they can see that makes a profit. However they still rely on the unpaid marshals and officials to run the events.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 13:02 (Ref:4030813)   #1029
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year, for the first time, I upgraded to a national licence as I was toying with the idea of racing in mainland Europe. Covid put paid to those plans, and with no likelihood of racing abroad this year, it makes sense to downgrade back to the inter-club licence.

However, if I do that, I lose entitlement to the 25% discount offered to everyone else who had a licence last year. So, having already been penalised by paying an extra £60 last year for a licence I couldn't use, it seems I'm to be penalised again this year by having to either pay full price if I downgrade, or get 25% off a more expensive licence that I don't need this year! Even with the 25% off, that still leaves the national licence costing more than the full price of an inter-club.

I've raised this point with MSUK. I can see their reluctance to offer the discount to those upgrading, as they have to carry out extra checks I presume, but surely downgrading is simply a box-ticking exercise? Yet anyone downgrading loses the discount.

Emailed them a few days ago about this. Still awaiting a response...
Old 23 Jan 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4030841)   #1030
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Paul, you're so right, I sincerely sympathise with you. Following your example, I sent an email to the secretary-accountant of Bonduelle asking how many green peas they put in a tin can and if its possible ton count them prior to a purchase.
Still awaiting a response, will keep you informed!
Old 31 Jan 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4032537)   #1031
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First big casualty of 2021 announced today - MG Live at Silverstone. MGCC are hoping to run a race meeting on the same date within the rules at the time, but no big international weekend. What with the obvious 2020 postponement, and 2019 called off at short notice for track resurfacing, it's a big hit for the club.

Brave decision, and ultimately I think a sensible one.

https://www.mgcc.co.uk/mglive-postponed-until-2022/

Old 31 Jan 2021, 15:53 (Ref:4032538)   #1032
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's June cancelled then.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4032615)   #1033
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
That's June cancelled then.
Thruxton Historic or Spa Summer classic Peter?
Old 31 Jan 2021, 18:58 (Ref:4032620)   #1034
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lol. Good point.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 21:04 (Ref:4032698)   #1035
midgetman
Veteran

The MG race meeting will go ahead if racing is permitted, just not the festival part of MG Live. If that runs, there's no reason Thruxton won't run behind closed doors. IDK about Belgium.

Old 1 Feb 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4032863)   #1036
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I see no reason at the moment not to believe that come June we will be where we were last summer - reduced capacity and appropriate protocols but spectators able to attend at least club events (which seems to mean everything bar F1, BTCC and BSB, which are classed as elite sport and have different rules).

Festival events by their nature attract larger crowds and require more pre-event planning, which will likely be difficult for some time.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 18:08 (Ref:4032864)   #1037
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
we've just booked a test day in mid-March. My optimism knows no bounds...
Old 1 Feb 2021, 19:38 (Ref:4032883)   #1038
midgetman
Veteran

My mind is set that we'll be able to do the race at Whilton Mill at the end of March. Hope I'm not disappointed!

Old 2 Feb 2021, 09:18 (Ref:4032953)   #1039
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Apparently we are past the peak of this round and the roll out of vaccines is going very well, so there are reasons to be cheerful 1, 2, 3...........
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4032984)   #1040
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
And talk today that Boris is saying that any easing of the lockdowns will be country-wide, rather than region-specific - apparently on the basis that these new mutations can just spring up everywhere.....

I suspect this means that any easing will be very gradual.

I wouldn't be planning any trips to Portimao soon - Portugal is really struggling now
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:29 (Ref:4032988)   #1041
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
..... so there are reasons to be cheerful 1, 2, 3...........
Yes, but there ain’t arf been some clever b@5t@rd5.

Last edited by andy97; 2 Feb 2021 at 12:52.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:37 (Ref:4032991)   #1042
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
And talk today that Boris is saying that any easing of the lockdowns will be country-wide, rather than region-specific - apparently on the basis that these new mutations can just spring up everywhere.....

I suspect this means that any easing will be very gradual.

I wouldn't be planning any trips to Portimao soon - Portugal is really struggling now
Absolutely, also Australia is easing spectator attendance at the open thus proving it's going to be a worldwide rolling improvement.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 13:54 (Ref:4033027)   #1043
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
What about the areas that there's going to be door step testing due to the high or growing lecel of the 'Saaath Aafrikaan' version, and 'Kent' versions?
I'm of a mind to translate this as areas where there has been the least public compliance...

With regards to manor lifting of restrictions it's still way too soon to be getting excited or making plans. I seriously doubt we'll be able to hit the pub, the gym or go to parties etc again until at least late spring.
It will be schools back first, workers & family next I reckon.

Even the most delusional, arrogant or popilist type of politician would be unwise to press the green button again until we really are in a position not to have to fully lockdown again within another 3 months....
The govt would get run out of the country if that happened!!
Old 2 Feb 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4033035)   #1044
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

With regards to manor lifting of restrictions it's still way too soon to be getting excited or making plans. I seriously doubt we'll be able to hit the pub, the gym or go to parties etc again until at least late spring.
It will be schools back first, workers & family next I reckon.

Even the most delusional, arrogant or popilist type of politician would be unwise to press the green button again until we really are in a position not to have to fully lockdown again within another 3 months....
The govt would get run out of the country if that happened!!
And it would seem reasonable to suggest that we eased lockdown too soon on both of the last two occasions, and in re-opening schools we allowed an easy transmission channel even if the children didn’t seem to suffer symptoms. Certainly COVID was rife at my nephews school.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4033039)   #1045
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We must be glad that we don't run the economy, people's lives, education, motorsport, vaccine development...... etc.

My point was that it is starting to ease in Australia, which I find surprising, but perhaps means that the relaxations will occur as the year goes on country by country. Don't know, just me being positive.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 14:55 (Ref:4033041)   #1046
midgetman
Veteran

Last year kart testing as an "organised outdoor sport" was one of the first to get going again even though racing didn't re-start for another month. Fingers crossed we can get going soon, I'm fed up of paying bills with no money coming in! Being at home is driving me up the wall, (and the current Mrs MM) although it's giving me the chance to catch up on some personal issues.

EDIT: A message just popped into my phone saying that Scotland is re-opening primary schools from 22nd February. I think they're a couple of weeks ahead of England so maybe Johnson"s March 8th is looking good.

Old 2 Feb 2021, 15:40 (Ref:4033050)   #1047
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Absolutely, also Australia is easing spectator attendance at the open thus proving it's going to be a worldwide rolling improvement.
Plus they have opened the Supercars pre-season test days to spectators....spectators will only be able to access public viewing areas and will not be allowed into the paddock. Both venues (two separate test days, one for Victorian based teams at Winton in Vic and one day at Queensland Intl for Queensland based teams,) will manage fan access accordingly, with COVID tracing management mandatory upon entry.
Usually it is one test day for all but the splitting is (Covid related) done to overcome any interstate quarantine rule changes.

Also the opening round of the season will be open to spectators with limitations.

Unfortunately Phillip Island is still maintaining a no spectators stance for the Classic meeting, but noticed there website today had a hint of a proviso that this 'might' change. Fingers crossed that will change. Here in Victoria we have now gone 30 days with no community transmissions / new cases or deaths.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4033090)   #1048
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
I think Australia's position is payback for some pretty firm lockdowns, and specifically refusing entry into the country unless for very good reasons, and even then, quarantining rigourously in hotels on arrival. Of course Australia isn't such a transit hub as UK, and since anywhere is a long way away from there, the temptation to catch an hour or so's flight, or hop on a boat to and from the Continent isn't such a draw......

I'm jealous of Isle of Man who's similarly tough quarantine means they are almost completely open now - even the flipping pubs!
Old 2 Feb 2021, 21:48 (Ref:4033121)   #1049
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I think Australia's position is payback for some pretty firm lockdowns, and specifically refusing entry into the country unless for very good reasons, and even then, quarantining rigourously in hotels on arrival. Of course Australia isn't such a transit hub as UK, and since anywhere is a long way away from there, the temptation to catch an hour or so's flight, or hop on a boat to and from the Continent isn't such a draw......

I'm jealous of Isle of Man who's similarly tough quarantine means they are almost completely open now - even the flipping pubs!
🍻😫😫
Old 3 Feb 2021, 08:46 (Ref:4033171)   #1050
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Telegraph
A single dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine prevents two-thirds of Covid transmissions, according to new results, raising hopes for the easing of restrictions by Easter.

The data, released on Tuesday night, also revealed that the first jab prevents 100 per cent of hospitalisations after 22 days once an immune response has had time to develop.
If this is true then things are looking hopeful for an April start to motorsport. Fingers definitely crossed.