Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 21 Mar 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3382570)   #1
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nikon 7100

Three months ago I overcame the loyalty problem and switched from Canon (7D and 5D111) to Nikon, purchasing a new 7100. What a difference, in all circumstances, the Nikon re-acts faster, and my images are not only clearer, but enjoy better colour representation under difficult situations,this picture was taken using 'sport' mode . Downside? The 2.8 70/200 lens is really heavy. I always thought the focussing system on the Canon suspect, and now Im more than ever convinced. Im converted.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_3165_3.JPG  
Old 21 Mar 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3382736)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The predecessor D7000 wasn't a bad camera but Nikon decided to significantly upgrade the AF system on the newer model with the focus algorithms from the top-end Nikon D4 so it will perform better in low light.
However Canon will soon fight back with what I have seen in the pipeline !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Mar 2014, 23:28 (Ref:3382839)   #3
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The predecessor D7000 wasn't a bad camera but Nikon decided to significantly upgrade the AF system on the newer model with the focus algorithms from the top-end Nikon D4 so it will perform better in low light.
However Canon will soon fight back with what I have seen in the pipeline !
And the Nikon is so nice to handle. Seems better built than the Canon?
Old 22 Mar 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3382912)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've just had a look at one of these, how nice compared with my old D100 and the autofocus is light years away from what it used to be
Old 22 Mar 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3382985)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've got the predecessor, the d7000 and it's a really great camera. i like to think my photos were that good in the first place mind
Old 27 Mar 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3385290)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I've had my D700 for nearly 2 years now, having bought it 2nd hand.
It's a step change for sure from my old Olympus E-1 in performance, but I still find .jpg straight out of the camera still hard to beat from the old monster...
I find that with the battery pack on, with the AF-S 80-200 f2.8 my shoulders suffer, so I've invested in OpTech straps for camera, and lens. MUCH more comfortable...
Good luck with the new kit!
Old 31 Mar 2014, 10:18 (Ref:3386994)   #7
mattbull
Rookie

mattbull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have owned a D7000 for a while now and love it, but interested to hear good reviews for its successor the D7100, particularly the low light focussing improvement. Taking pics, as I do, from the dingy infields of some short ovals where the floodlights are working against you rather than with you, I do suffer a bit with autofocus issues. But then again dust doesn't help.

Have invested in some good lenses this winter including a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 but it is a little long at the short end for many of the 'shorter' short ovals. The one lens I keep falling back on because it has an ideal range for a sport where I need to be concentrating on something pretty much happening at my feet, or over the other side of the track is a modest sub £300 Sigma 18-250mm lens. I've just got my second in 2 years as with the amount of dust and/or rain and/or mud that gets slinged at me I can't make these lenses last any longer! I loved the Nikon 18-200 but they were even worse, lucky to last a year. Anyone got any other recommendations for a superzoom?

Pics from Kings Lynn last Saturday night with the Sigma.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5836.jpg   DSC_6006.jpg  
Old 31 Mar 2014, 15:23 (Ref:3387091)   #8
Nordschleife
Rookie

Nordschleife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Full frame to crop sensor... hardly an upgrade. Enjoy the overpriced glass!
Old 20 May 2014, 01:03 (Ref:3408049)   #9
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I invested in a D7100 at the start of the year and then added a AFS F4 300, plus a f2.8 70-200VRII, with a 1.4TC to complement them both. This set up is a big jump up from my old D3100 + 70-300VRII and has made a marked improvement to my results, I can't fault the D7100 so far, I'm still learning it's features and the battery life is great. I am now shooting in Jpeg instead of RAW, as the whole processing thing was becoming a bore for me, although I know of it's advantages if needed.

I've never used a Canon body or lens, so can't really comment on their inexpensive 'glass' but I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed with the Nikon D7100.
Old 20 May 2014, 05:50 (Ref:3408088)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I bought one yesterday, I've hardly looked at it yet but did notice that when I took some close-ish pictures, if you get the main subject centered in the viewfinder the image you get is set to one side ie the main subject will be to the left of centre. This is with an old sigma lens, I've not tried the new 70-300 zoom I bought.
Old 20 May 2014, 17:04 (Ref:3408305)   #11
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I bought one yesterday, I've hardly looked at it yet but did notice that when I took some close-ish pictures, if you get the main subject centered in the viewfinder the image you get is set to one side ie the main subject will be to the left of centre. This is with an old sigma lens, I've not tried the new 70-300 zoom I bought.
Really I've not noticed nor have heard of anyone reporting that, wait and see how it fairs with the 70-300.
Old 24 May 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3409804)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I can't get to grips with the autofocus on this, it seems to have a gazillion focus points and wants to focus on anything except where I want it to. Also a similar problem with the metering.
Looks like I'll have to read the manual.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:27 (Ref:3411118)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Ah, yes. The RTFM syndrome. Select single point AF. Rather than focus where you like...
Old 27 May 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3411424)   #14
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Ah, yes. The RTFM syndrome. Select single point AF. Rather than focus where you like...
As Tim says, mine is virtually alwways on AF-C , especially for motorsport. I leave the metering on Matrix which seems to do the trick fine.