Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3789641)   #26
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Nice list, shame the Camaro GT4 doesn't seem to have taken off. Bit disappointing.

Lack of CJ Wilson is a bit of a downer too.
Agreed, having the Camaro in there last year really spiced it up, and with the influx of all the other GT4 cars it would have made it even better in 2018. I wonder why?

Same for CJ Wilson. Are the cars for sale anywhere?
Old 30 Dec 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3789813)   #27
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sad to see no Camaros.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3791543)   #28
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
I've been curious about the tires used on the TCR cars in IMSA. I know the TCR Audis are all delivered on Hankook medium compound slicks (C52). With Continental only contracted for one last year of IMSA, did they develop their own TCR spec slick just for one year, or is it a re-badged Hankook?
Old 9 Jan 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3791608)   #29
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
I've been curious about the tires used on the TCR cars in IMSA. I know the TCR Audis are all delivered on Hankook medium compound slicks (C52). With Continental only contracted for one last year of IMSA, did they develop their own TCR spec slick just for one year, or is it a re-badged Hankook?
Or just handed them a GS-spec tire and said deal with it? Anything that would keep Conti from ignoring the class and teams, and say not doing the work.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 03:35 (Ref:3791655)   #30
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't know the exact answer but here is what the Continental press release says.

http://www.continentaltire.com/news/...-new-cars-2018

All 3 classes use the same tires it says. I guess just the sizes will be different.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3793820)   #31
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Daytona pre-event entry list:

https://sportscarchallenge.imsa.com/..._entrylist.pdf

31 entries in GS, 7 in TCR, 5 in ST.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3793837)   #32
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Wow, 5 in ST is disappointing. I was hoping for more attendance in that class for the last year of both ST and Continental being a part of the series. TCR has a lot of promise but it doesn't have the diversity that it needs just yet.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3793882)   #33
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wow, 5 in ST is disappointing. I was hoping for more attendance in that class for the last year of both ST and Continental being a part of the series. TCR has a lot of promise but it doesn't have the diversity that it needs just yet.
In 2016, I had the start and park program for GS. This was a fantasy team that only ran the minimal amount of time and a driver change. So each race consisted of 50 minutes of run time and them park the car. That year, I would have finished 5th in GS points and got around $30K in prize money. With IMSA only paying the top 5 now, the prize money is not good but I'll keep a season total and see what the start and park program garners in ST for this year.

Best part for ST is it's only 3 teams and one has 3 cars entered. So, the chance of all 5 making it past the 50 minute mark for the season is not going to happen. So, I know that a 6th is an automatic but i might be on the tail of 5th. When I did this in GS, I almost took 4th and that was from a car that ran the whole season.

Yes ST went from 20 to 5 for this year but GS went from 21 to 31. On the other hand, I ran there when over 50 were in ST for that race and at least 40 full time cars. I'm glad I got to run in that class when it was at a record high. Those days are now gone.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 23:36 (Ref:3793890)   #34
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
In 2016, I had the start and park program for GS. This was a fantasy team that only ran the minimal amount of time and a driver change. So each race consisted of 50 minutes of run time and them park the car. That year, I would have finished 5th in GS points and got around $30K in prize money. With IMSA only paying the top 5 now, the prize money is not good but I'll keep a season total and see what the start and park program garners in ST for this year.

Best part for ST is it's only 3 teams and one has 3 cars entered. So, the chance of all 5 making it past the 50 minute mark for the season is not going to happen. So, I know that a 6th is an automatic but i might be on the tail of 5th. When I did this in GS, I almost took 4th and that was from a car that ran the whole season.

Yes ST went from 20 to 5 for this year but GS went from 21 to 31. On the other hand, I ran there when over 50 were in ST for that race and at least 40 full time cars. I'm glad I got to run in that class when it was at a record high. Those days are now gone.
Why have so many teams abandoned ST John? Is it just because this is the last year for the class? With so much talk of how disproportionately expensive the budgets for GT3 cars have become, it would seem like ST would be a far cheaper and more popular class. It's weird to have a CTSC race with no Miatas entered.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3794033)   #35
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:

Fair point on the GS class jumping up to 31 entries, that's massive. I kind of glossed over the gain and only looked at the loss of one of my favorite classes, historically speaking. I'm definitely looking forward to the race on Friday either way.

Am I correct in my googling that you owned V-Pack?
Old 20 Jan 2018, 20:40 (Ref:3794046)   #36
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fair point on the GS class jumping up to 31 entries, that's massive. I kind of glossed over the gain and only looked at the loss of one of my favorite classes, historically speaking. I'm definitely looking forward to the race on Friday either way.

Am I correct in my googling that you owned V-Pack?
Yes. I have been in the series in one way or another since 1985 (which was the first year for the series).

Since IMSA is looking like miracle workers, just look at the last 5 years of Daytona entries and you'll see:

ST Entries Daytona
2018 - 6
2017 - 20
2016 - 29
2015 - 31
2014 - 38
2013 - 34

GS Entries Daytona
2018 - 30
2017 - 20
2016 - 8
2015 - 25
2014 - 30
2013 - 34

Total Entries Daytona
2018 - 43
2017 - 40
2016 - 37
2015 - 56
2014 - 68
2013 - 68
Old 22 Jan 2018, 02:45 (Ref:3794229)   #37
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
So basically even though it's on the upswing, relative to years' past it's still down. I feel like 09/10/11 the grids were even larger than 13 and 14? I seem to recall ST being massive back then.

Are you still involved in the series?
Old 22 Jan 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3794271)   #38
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So basically even though it's on the upswing, relative to years' past it's still down. I feel like 09/10/11 the grids were even larger than 13 and 14? I seem to recall ST being massive back then.

Are you still involved in the series?
65 in 2009, 76 in 2010 and 72 in 2011.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3794299)   #39
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
65 in 2009, 76 in 2010 and 72 in 2011.
Thanks,
Old 22 Jan 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3794358)   #40
jjvincent
Racer

For 2008
GS - 42
ST - 49
Total - 91

For that race, I finished 8th in ST and 33rd overall. As you can see, finishing 8th in a field is 49 is much more difficult as opposed to today where finishing 6th in ST (deal last) is just circulating around the track. Hit the minimum amount of required time and then you can park it. For a 6th today, it's $0 in prize money. For an 8th in 2008, I got $1350. A set of tires were $900, so it paid for 1.5 sets (only used 2 sets for the event). Top it off, I needed those two tire handlers and jack man that is not allowed today (so 3 extra over the wall crew guys). At the time, $1K was the lowest paid for ST and that was 18th.

Wonder why everyone bailed? It's the value because in the series, about 90% are rental. Charging more to do the same exact thing when they tell you it's going to be cheaper makes no sense to many. All you can do is wait for the next group that doesn't know any better and the fields will go up but never to what we seen in the past. Those days are over because everyone runs in other series' here in the US.

For the prize money comparison in 10 years:
P GS ST
1 - 10K 7.5K
2 - 7.5K 5K
3 - 5K 3.5K
4 - 4K 3K
5 - 3.5K 2.5K
6 - 2K 1.35K
7 - 2K 1.35K
8 - 2K 1.35K
9 - 2K 1.35K
10 - 2K 1.35K
11 - 2K 1.35K
12 - 2K 1.35K
13 - 2K 1.35K
14 - 2K 1.35K
15 - 2K 1.35K
16 - 2K 1K
17 - 2K 1K
18 - 2K 1K
T - 56K 38K = 94K

P GS ST TCR
1 - 12K 7.5K 10K
2 - 8K 3.5K 7K
3 - 5K 2K 4K
4 - 3K 0K 0K
5 - 2K 0K 0K
T - 30K 16K 21K = 61.5K (-34.5% from 2008)
Old 24 Jan 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3794799)   #41
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
CTSCC practice 1 almost in the books. https://scoring.imsa.com/

Audi quickest so far with Andrew Davis and a 1:55.867. Closest is Dillon Machavern in the RS1 Porsche with a 156.112. Solid mix of manufacturers inside the top 10 with Audi, Porsche, Ford, Aston, Mercedes and BMW all represented. The Mclarens are 19th or worse.

The new all-female Audi Sport entry clocked in 16th in class, Ashley Freiburg with a 1:58.019.

The fastest of the all VAG TCR class is the 53 RS3 LMS running a 2:00.822, about 2 seconds a lap off the slowest of the GS cars.
Old 24 Jan 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3794803)   #42
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
To be completely honest, I am quite glad to see that so far this race weekend, none of the Mustang's have dominated the timing charts.

I hope i'm not the only one that felt the Mustang GT4s were severely overpowered last year at Daytona.

It is still early though.

*Edit* By the way, we now have an article explaining what is going on with the Freedom Autosport MX-5s.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/f...r-ctsc-hiatus/
Old 24 Jan 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3794831)   #43
jjvincent
Racer

Actually it never explained why Freedom is not running. It was some PR fluff to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside along with confusing everyone. At least they were able to throw in the word "global" many times and that makes me feel good because I want to make sure Mazda understands they have a global commitment to motorsport. Also, I guess those brand new MX5's that run in TCA (which is literally an ST car) somehow needed some sort of extensive R&D program because all they would to of had to do is throw on a different brand of tire.

As of now, Mazda is throwing 100% of everything they got to Joest and thus, anything in Conti is done for. Plus, most of Freedom was a rental operation anyway.

I really wished that someone would have showed up with a Seat Leon. That way we could make it a complete VAG class. Anyone know where the Alfa's are? What about the Honda's? Subaru? Where's the Buick (that's a rebadged Opel Astra)? Hyundai? Kia? Peugeot?
Old 25 Jan 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3794997)   #44
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Actually it never explained why Freedom is not running. It was some PR fluff to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside along with confusing everyone. At least they were able to throw in the word "global" many times and that makes me feel good because I want to make sure Mazda understands they have a global commitment to motorsport. Also, I guess those brand new MX5's that run in TCA (which is literally an ST car) somehow needed some sort of extensive R&D program because all they would to of had to do is throw on a different brand of tire.

As of now, Mazda is throwing 100% of everything they got to Joest and thus, anything in Conti is done for. Plus, most of Freedom was a rental operation anyway.

I really wished that someone would have showed up with a Seat Leon. That way we could make it a complete VAG class. Anyone know where the Alfa's are? What about the Honda's? Subaru? Where's the Buick (that's a rebadged Opel Astra)? Hyundai? Kia? Peugeot?
I kind of figured Joest was sucking up every last dime. I wonder if that makes the Mazda DPI program the most expensive of the lot? (but that's a discussion for another thread )

You could probably re-body the GTI as a Leon if you really wanted to. The Hondas look great, but I'm pretty sure that's not a USA model so I doubt HPD was looking to sell any. TCR could be the NATCC v2.0! An entire field of cars (minus the Dodge) that had very little to do with anything sold in the states.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 04:07 (Ref:3795360)   #45
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent race today, despite a bit of damage being done to some cars...
Old 27 Jan 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3795407)   #46
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great race!

The caymans seemed to be almost unstoppable: very fast in the corners and also on the oval. However the battle between the GT4 was enjoyable
Old 27 Jan 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3795415)   #47
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was an enjoyable race yesterday afternoon (albeit a bit windy making it chillier than comfortable for a Florida afternoon).

The Caymans were crazy fast. Not sure what happened to McAleer's car after the last restart but they were in for a sure 1-2 with the pace they showed all day. Shame also about Hindman's brakes causing him to drop back.

ST used to be a great class to follow but with so few cars between TCR and ST the secondary classes became truly secondary.

I'm looking forward to the growth of the TCR class and some added diversity like ST was in previous years. The rest of the GS season should be pretty fun, should be interesting to see how the GT4s interact on all the different tracks. Daytona was clearly Porsche territory yesterday.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 02:47 (Ref:3795877)   #48
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TCR wont be as diverse, its just touring cars.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 23:42 (Ref:3796725)   #49
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Agreed. Losing ST is a big, big mistake. Such a shame. 30+ GT4s and 20+ ST cars would be fantastic.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 23:53 (Ref:3796728)   #50
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a classic, this one. But it had its moments.

Woke up on Sunday to see multiple lap gaps between nearly all positions and the only cars on the same lap were the two Ford GTs and you know there weren't going to race each other.
It felt like all of Sunday was everything running to program with the only surprises being the continent-errible tyres puncturing

Some standout performances, however.
Alonso did well and particularly Lando's first stint. First time ever in race conditions in an endurance race and he was in the dark, amid traffic AND IT STARTS TO RAIN! Yet he was the fastest on track in that phase.
Tob job son, he is the real deal after all.

Standout negatives: Castroneves still drives like a jerk, I see.
Shoving someone off the road in the 1st lap, acting like a weapon in traffic all race. Someone have a quiet word with him please!
(At least he didn't jump the start this time )