Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jul 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2497393)   #76
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yeah NFG at Brands but u can borrow money against it to buy a car and the rental income can pay for it
thats when you say your house can do a 55 or whatever you old fellas do in yanky cars around brands and then give peter a clip around the ear in the paddock and buy him a cup of tea with the loose change
Old 7 Jul 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2497424)   #77
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Talk about going off topic
Ain't that a fact Moose, how are you BTW?
Old 9 Feb 2010, 05:04 (Ref:2629678)   #78
4dnut
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
4dnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
capri value

Back to the original topic, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, the answer to whether or not the Capri mentioned is overpriced is has it sold? If yes it was obviously worth that to the person buying it, if not it is overpriced. In NZ there are 3 genuine Cologne Capris,1 x early Weslake engined car and 2 xGAA cars all genuine, a friend of mine has bought a 1/2 share in a GAA car and the price was up there but he was happy. Someone else my think overpriced but it has the value for him.
Comparing property investments to cars is just silly, its hard to lose money on houses, about 20 years ago when GRP A cars were defunct the P Brock and D Johnson Sierras were about 50,000 NZD , now these cars are changing hands for over 200,000 NZD. 50 grand on compounding interest in the bank would at 8% would be more. But its not just about money its the joy in owning these cars, to quote my wife " an investment in happiness".
Old 9 Feb 2010, 09:40 (Ref:2629750)   #79
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
old race cars are worthless at end of season when new model is due out or major rule change
they sell to club racers for 10% of initial build cost
they languish for years in club racers garages worthless till a new championship comes along and then they get new lease of life price double triple quickly PLUS they need major restoration and service rebuild

the comparison to house prices is the day the car is sold at end of season let ssay in 75 the Ga capri was £3000 you would have bought a nice house in certain towns that today would be worth £300k plus
the capri would have never risen in value at all over 30 years until aprox 3 years ago and even then it would need £50k spending on it to make it a runner to then sell for what £100-150k?
race cars are only worth money IF there is a series to race them in
collectors have only bought cars many years ago when they where not worth much and just kept them to look at
trust me i have both property and car colection
I know where i would have my real money invested in and even borrow it to do it!!

I have not even taken into account 30 years rental income from property

yes a race car is worth what someone will pay for it but the big price tags only come with a place to race and then THATS when we start talking of over priced cars
IF there where no races to run the car it would be a 30-50k type car
last unrestored ga capri sold for 65k at auction prior to any series it could run in being around and it went to a Capri Ga fan