Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3208709)   #26
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Not wishing to show my ignorance.... Lemon effect?
Sorry .
It derives from a "Lemon Car".
Which is a car which has been available for a long time, or at a price which is under the normal market value (like your RV), and because of this scares away buyers, as they fear the offer is too good to be true, and walks away of the fear of hidden surprises.
You can compare it to meeting a woman/man, which you find attractive. However when you find out that the person has been single for a very long time, you start to wonder what is wrong with her/him, since she/he hasn't had a relationship.

Or more simple:
If I offer you a Rolex for 10£, you wouldn't take it, as you fear it's a fake to that price .

The term "Lemon" is actually used in all markets, and can be fatal for a company.

To Relate to your RV:
The price might be so low, that the buyers fear you selling it because you know it has a fatal flaw, and you there want to get rid of it as fast as possible!
The best way to counter the Lemon effect, is to take it off the market for some time (a month or so) and re-enter it at a price reflecting it's value (perhaps a bit too high so the buyer feels that there is room to haggle/bargain for the price)
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3208717)   #27
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I dont subscribe to that view, being too cheap wouldnt put anyone who knew what they were looking at off surely. If I didnt have the Dayvan I could have been interested and the price cheap or otherwise wouldnt make any odds either way as I would give it a damned good look over and if happy I would buy. BTW I doubt if you would be able to use the gas tank as the installation would have to be checked and registered by an installer although you can fit it yourself and the tanks have to be certified.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3208718)   #28
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Ok, yes I'm familiar with the concept. Just not come across it put so succinctly. Would have twigged if you'd said "might be taken for a bit of a lemon". Anyway, it isn't a lemon, but it does need love...... so here she is in all her glory : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shasta-25-...item35c4b2ffd6

Hopefully, in the context of this thread, I won't be batted for advertising or promotion. But if anyone feels the need, just before you do.... please take a moment to consider this:
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:35 (Ref:3208720)   #29
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I dont subscribe to that view, being too cheap wouldnt put anyone who knew what they were looking at off surely.
I'm guessing that the people who rang my number and asked the price didn't know how expensive these things are.... or maybe they did, and that was the problem. Hence the reason for this thread in the first place. But I would question your logic simply on the basis of : if someone offered you a Rolex watch for £20, would you buy it?
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3208725)   #30
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The best way to counter the Lemon effect, is to take it off the market for some time (a month or so) and re-enter it at a price reflecting it's value (perhaps a bit too high so the buyer feels that there is room to haggle/bargain for the price)
Completely agree with the sentiment, but the reality is that every month that it sits there it cost's me money. It has to sit on the road because I have nowhere else to put it. Last month the mot ran out so that's why I had to put a new one on it. This month the insurance ran out so I had to renew that. End of next month the tax runs out so if it doesn't sell soon I'll have to renew that too! And none of those are the sort of thing I'm going to get back in the selling price (except probably the mot) so I want to sell it quickly. And thereby hangs the whole problem.... offer it too cheap - no one wants it, offer it too expensive - no one wants it. Offer it at the right price - bingo! But how the hell do you quickly work out the right price for something like this???
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3208727)   #31
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm guessing that the people who rang my number and asked the price didn't know how expensive these things are.... or maybe they did, and that was the problem. Hence the reason for this thread in the first place. But I would question your logic simply on the basis of : if someone offered you a Rolex watch for £20, would you buy it?
It was a bit of an extreme example yes .
A real example from myself:
I'm currently looking for a Peugeot 205 1,9 GTI, and have basically given up the danish market. I'm now searching the swedish market, which is quite different price wise.
So different that it scared me off for some time. A Danish 205 which goes for a 500£, only costed around 150£!
There isn't anything wrong with the swedish once (on the contrary often better), there just isn't a market for those cars in Sweden (yet). The price difference made me believe there was a problem with the Swedish once, compared to the danish.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3208728)   #32
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Holy ****..... it's been up less than an hour and there are four bids. Admittedly it's only up to £200, but it's promising :-))
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3208730)   #33
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
And thereby hangs the whole problem.... offer it too cheap - no one wants it, offer it too expensive - no one wants it. Offer it at the right price - bingo! But how the hell do you quickly work out the right price for something like this???
Quote:
Holy ****..... it's been up less than an hour and there are four bids. Admittedly it's only up to £200, but it's promising :-))
eBay is indeed a good way to find an items price
If it was me, I would take it to a dealer and ask him to value it.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3208734)   #34
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
So different that it scared me off for some time. A Danish 205 which goes for a 500£, only costed around 150£!
I'm not sure if your little £ means something different to mine, but I just had a look at the uk market and over here a nice one is anything from £1500 to £2500! Although there are a bit of a "cult item" over here. I had a go in one myself round the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit and got round in under 2 mins at my first attempt. Fantastic little car!
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3208736)   #35
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
I would take it to a dealer and ask him to value it.
Not a dealer in the land who would even bother to look!
Old 21 Feb 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3208740)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Nice ad I am sure it will get away OK.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3208744)   #37
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Thank you Al.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3208801)   #38
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I'm not sure if your little £ means something different to mine, but I just had a look at the uk market and over here a nice one is anything from £1500 to £2500! Although there are a bit of a "cult item" over here. I had a go in one myself round the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit and got round in under 2 mins at my first attempt. Fantastic little car!
Woops, missed a "0" (a Pund is roughly 10x more valuable than 1DKK, 1£=10DKK) A good danish 205 is 50.000kr. a Swedish around 5.000-15.000kr.
Quote:
Not a dealer in the land who would even bother to look!
Sad , I work at a new-car dealer, and we look at everything, from nearly scrap to brand new cars. Must be different cultures in Denmark and UK

But I'm sorry if this is going Off Topic, please stop me if it's too much.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3208816)   #39
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Off topic is no problemmo.... at the risk of offending the powers that be around here, try a bit of this: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...bargin/1101932
Old 21 Feb 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3208819)   #40
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Off topic is no problemmo.... at the risk of offending the powers that be around here, try a bit of this: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...bargin/1101932
Nice one!, sadly, steering wheel in the wrong side of the car for me
Old 22 Feb 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3208992)   #41
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A very good ad. It's up to nearly £600.00 after less than 24 hours which is an excellent start. It's clearly garnered plenty of interest. I hope it reaches what you expected... it's going to be exciting to watch it escalate... and that it goes to a good home.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3209056)   #42
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
I thank you too....

I've also had two enquiries for what the reserve is. I simply told them, adding that it's official valuation is £7500 (which is true as that's its Agreed Value with my insurance company) so the reserve is low at only half of that.

Fingers crossed
Old 22 Feb 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3209209)   #43
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
It's just been pointed out to me that £3250 isn't actually half of £7500....
Old 22 Feb 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3209212)   #44
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Add 500£ and your there
Old 22 Feb 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3209226)   #45
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We knew that you meant to say 'less than' rather than 'only' above
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3209382)   #46
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Sadly, when I wrote it I did mean "only"

On a brighter note, it's just past day 1 and the bidding has crept into four figures
Old 28 Feb 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3212416)   #47
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs, £3700. Let's hope the buyer isn't Nigerian.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3212427)   #48
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
I thought that when I looked at the user name.... but it turns out to be Welsh! He's coming over from Carmarthenshire next week to collect :-) Anyway, thanks for the advice all, just keeping fingers crossed for a smooth transaction.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3212604)   #49
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
I thought that when I looked at the user name.... but it turns out to be Welsh! He's coming over from Carmarthenshire next week to collect :-) Anyway, thanks for the advice all, just keeping fingers crossed for a smooth transaction.
Well in answer to your thread question... yes you weren't asking enough money, but you weren't that far off ! Well done in getting it sold and I wish you the best for a smooth transaction.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3212716)   #50
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
I thank you

I must admit I thought it might go for more in the last few minutes, but I'm not going to be greedy. Like you say, I wan't actually that far out in the end and I'm sure the buyer will be happy. He's already made arrangements for insurance and to come and collect so that's all looking promising.

I won't spend the money until it's in my hand though