Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 May 2018, 07:36 (Ref:3819577)   #51
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those poor crossmembers! Enjoying the strategy of today. Applause to Kelly, impressive comeback.
Old 5 May 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3819704)   #52
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Like the jumping trucks,they should leave the ramps on the track for the V8's..
Loved them last year. Thought that were exceptionally entertaining.

Low crowds again today by the looks.

casual race, hopefully some rain should cause some fun.
Old 5 May 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3819734)   #53
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great strategy by Tickford with Frosty. Certainly threw everyone into thinking they screwed up.

That pit entry is an absolute shocker. Needs fixing ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 5 May 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3819865)   #54
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Great strategy by Tickford with Frosty. Certainly threw everyone into thinking they screwed up.

That pit entry is an absolute shocker. Needs fixing ASAP.

Agreed Re the Pit entry. Edwards suggested the alternative pit entry is was too dangerous, Big long sweeping entry.

More safer I thought.
Old 5 May 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3820179)   #55
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After yesterday’s TR revival can we predict a top ten Q for Richie today?
Old 5 May 2018, 22:24 (Ref:3820183)   #56
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
articles around suggesting that the track will be re-surfaced soon
Old 5 May 2018, 23:10 (Ref:3820190)   #57
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully resurfacing coincides with (as others have suggested) a new/amended pit entry.

How do you safely enter the pits if someone is following closely? How was this certified "safe"? How was Whincup penalized for something that others weren't?

Turn 7 in general needs a complete rethink.

The racing was excellent as always. High deg made for some interesting strategies.
Old 6 May 2018, 01:11 (Ref:3820201)   #58
EL GT
Rookie

New Zealand
Petrol Heaven
EL GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
So how is Qualifying determined today. Is it still based on fastest P1 and P2 times?
Old 6 May 2018, 01:38 (Ref:3820205)   #59
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
P3 times.
Old 6 May 2018, 03:21 (Ref:3820216)   #60
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GT View Post
So how is Qualifying determined today. Is it still based on fastest P1 and P2 times?
P4 times (sunday morning)
Old 6 May 2018, 03:33 (Ref:3820217)   #61
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
wow Q1 for race 12. some big names in bottom 10. both DJRTP, frosty, Waters, lowndes tander

Stanaway however makes it through
Old 6 May 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3820220)   #62
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
As much as many here winge and complain about the boring Perth track, its deffinately thrown up some curve balls today

I hope it rains ;o) to add more
Old 6 May 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3820287)   #63
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
I think it'll be a long time before Richie can be back in the top 10. No idea where that pace he had at Sandown last year went but so far this year he's driving very poorly. I think he needs to just copy the setups from the other cars or something because in Waters' car he was fast last year. This year, just about every race he gets caught up in some sort of contact or gets a penalty. Literally every single race this year. Finally has a decent quali at Perth, 14th, and actually maintained that for most of the race but by the end he dropped like a stone yet again and ended up 19th. Don't know what happened. I did see the team do that unsafe release so maybe he got a penalty for that. It was hardly unsafe though, he just took off so slowly that by the time he got going someone was alongside. Even Waters caught him who had all sorts of trouble - I assume also double stacking.

Then at the start he had multiple contacts. Did anyone notice his ramming the side of McLaughlin for absolutely no reason.

For a guy of his experience he shouldn't be fighting with guys like Blanchard and Hazelwood. If he doesn't start improving I wonder if the team will keep him next year? Le Brocq and de Pasquale are having the kind of form that Richie should be showing sometimes.

Great to see the other upcoming kiwi Heimgartner finally get a decent result, even if he did drop from 5th to 8th in the last few corners at least he showed strong pace (overall faster than Whincup is something).
Old 6 May 2018, 21:59 (Ref:3820483)   #64
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
McLaughlin lead confused Reynolds

truthfully im with Dave on this. still havent figured it out. anyone? Was very suprised when he was out in front
Old 6 May 2018, 23:36 (Ref:3820494)   #65
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
McLaughlin lead confused Reynolds

truthfully im with Dave on this. still havent figured it out. anyone? Was very suprised when he was out in front
I'd say pitlane congestion, with alot of teams double stacking held up Erebus. DJRTP being at pit exit were probably able to control were they wanted to filter back into.

Old 7 May 2018, 02:41 (Ref:3820505)   #66
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't figure out how SM beat Whincup out by like 3-5sec. Whincup pits first so gets on nice fresh tyres that were 2sec a lap faster and he had 2-3 laps before SM pits. Plus I think the commentators said SM had to take on slightly more fuel, although for both it was a lot less than Reynolds and Mostert which is why they all closed up. So how the hell did he beat Whincup by so much out of the pits?

I assume he just had an awesome inlap, awesome pit stop, while Whincup was struck in traffic. Then when SM pitted he also ended up in heavy traffic but got through really quickly, possibly not losing too much time at all. Reynolds had like 4sec advantage before they pitted and comes out almost 8sec behind. It must have been just down to same great first laps from SM.

Reynolds certainly closed up but I think SM was just cruising and saving tyres. That whole race win came down to the SC for Scott and jumping several cars who double stacked while everyone got congested behind him and stuck behind a blocked pit lane (must have been SVG blocking it waiting for Whincup). So SM put in a tonne of fuel and should have been way down the order, but the blocked track and double stacking puts him 6th while poor old Mostert and Reynolds short-filled to try and get track position. Certainly an amazing, Whincup-esque of years gone by type of drive. Certainly not Whincup yesterday though, he was nowhere and couldn't keep up with either of his team mates... how often do you see that?

SVG had the pace to challenge for wins but just had the SC screw him in race 2, and the lack of a SC screwing him in race 1.
Old 7 May 2018, 03:38 (Ref:3820509)   #67
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
As much as many here winge and complain about the boring Perth track, its deffinately thrown up some curve balls today

I hope it rains ;o) to add more
High tyre deg produces good racing. Just glad I don't have to pay Dunlop's bill.

The qualifying format was excellent and generated interesting practice as well as qualifying sessions. Would hate to be a single car team trying to find a good setup, however as the only downside it eats into time available to test setup.

Watching the race on tellie, not sure what BJR has to do to get some coverage?
Old 7 May 2018, 04:06 (Ref:3820510)   #68
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post

Watching the race on tellie, not sure what BJR has to do to get some coverage?
BJR have been getting good telly since about 1983.
Old 7 May 2018, 04:37 (Ref:3820512)   #69
djr81
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
BJR have been getting good telly since about 1983.
Tim Slade had a good run on Saturday and was barely mentioned.
John Blanchard had a good run in quali on Sunday (for him) and was barely mentioned.

Dunno it just sticks out amid all the chat about 888, DJR and Lowndes every time Skaife can dream up a reason to talk about him.
Old 7 May 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3820515)   #70
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Tim Slade had a good run on Saturday and was barely mentioned.
John Blanchard had a good run in quali on Sunday (for him) and was barely mentioned.

Dunno it just sticks out amid all the chat about 888, DJR and Lowndes every time Skaife can dream up a reason to talk about him.
Blanchard did do a good job on Sunday.
Old 7 May 2018, 05:21 (Ref:3820517)   #71
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Tim (son of John) Blanchard on the other hand.....
Old 7 May 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3820518)   #72
djr81
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Tim (son of John) Blanchard on the other hand.....
Um, yeah showing my age. In my defence most of the current stock are either sons of drivers, or SORF's.
Old 7 May 2018, 05:57 (Ref:3820519)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Um, yeah showing my age. In my defence most of the current stock are either sons of drivers, or SORF's.
The only way you can make a start in motorsport is through a rich parent.
one of the most expensive sport there is
Old 7 May 2018, 07:12 (Ref:3820523)   #74
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Foxtel production was parked outside 21's garage all weekend - not exactly bad coverage, albeit outside the race itself
Old 7 May 2018, 07:38 (Ref:3820524)   #75
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
The Foxtel production was parked outside 21's garage all weekend - not exactly bad coverage, albeit outside the race itself
Have they done away with the shipping container?