Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3810873)   #1441
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Well having just watched the first qualifying from Melbourne my worst fears are pretty much confirmed. For me it was the first real opportunity to see the 2018 cars in any real detail and there is no doubt in my mind that the halo appendage is absolutely monstrous, what a faux pas by the FIA. That's me done for the season, I have no interest in watching these abortions racing; safe they may be, quick they may be but the F1 cars of today are Frankensteins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Your loss. There's some great racing potential this year, it would be a shame not to see it just because of something as petty as the looks of the car.
i agree with the sentiments behind both of these posts. it is hideous, but on the other hand the halo is not the hill my love for f1 will die on. the sport is more than a crappy bit of problem solving by the fia, but it's understandable that for a lot of people, it's the final straw in a bunch of really dodgy recent technical decisions.

it is possible to continue to value the sport despite a hideous bit of scaffolding.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3810876)   #1442
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've watched a few figureskating events where people have smashed their heads into the ice and suffered injuries. If you were to apply the same thought process to that sport as you would F1, they should all be wearing crash helmets and have neck support devices whilst parading around... Perhaps they just "accept the risk?"
Old 26 Mar 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3810909)   #1443
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
There is so much junk protruding off every available surface on an F1 car that it is amazing that anybody even notices the HALO.

P.S. The teams all (most) run different coloured camera pods on the cars so that you can identify the drivers.
Ferrari Kimi viz. green camera Seb red.
RBR Max viz. green camera pod, Ricc blue.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3810988)   #1444
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
There is so much junk protruding off every available surface on an F1 car that it is amazing that anybody even notices the HALO.
The protuberances were much worse 10 years ago. Check out this Sauber F1.08. Actually, I don't think the Halo would look too out of place.

Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3811016)   #1445
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
came across a link for the nose cone cam from Kimi's car at the start.

https://streamable.com/dwi1d

with the Halo partially blocking the onboards and the difficulty in repositioning the camera higher and/or building a camera into the halo itself i hope they go for more of these shots during the broadcasts.

not a perfect solution but a good compromise imo.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3811096)   #1446
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I've watched a few figureskating events where people have smashed their heads into the ice and suffered injuries. If you were to apply the same thought process to that sport as you would F1, they should all be wearing crash helmets and have neck support devices whilst parading around... Perhaps they just "accept the risk?"
I donít think that this is comparable. Risk is not a constant there are different degrees of risk based on likelihood and potential severity.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 22:26 (Ref:3811098)   #1447
ASCII Man
Veteran

Belgium
Leuven
ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!
So, the bigger the risk, the less safety measures should be taken.
And the smaller the risk, the more... What?
Old 26 Mar 2018, 23:41 (Ref:3811112)   #1448
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I donít think that this is comparable. Risk is not a constant there are different degrees of risk based on likelihood and potential severity.
Exactly.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 04:01 (Ref:3811139)   #1449
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Your loss. There's some great racing potential this year,
Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Yeah that is why they are looking to put more DRS zones in
Old 9 Apr 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3814490)   #1450
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like my wife's description that the halos look like zimmer frames or at the opposite end of the scale, pram handles.

Personally, they remind me of those things you use to do sit-ups at the gym.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 00:14 (Ref:3817808)   #1451
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
FOM attempts to hide the halo on TV....

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/17929

Sorry FOM, didn't work! 4 rounds in and the halo is still an abomination. And will look even worse when it turns into a rear wing mirror bracket.

Old 28 Apr 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3817860)   #1452
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
FOM attempts to hide the halo on TV....

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/17929

Sorry FOM, didn't work! 4 rounds in and the halo is still an abomination. And will look even worse when it turns into a rear wing mirror bracket.

To hear people on this forum I'm the only one who has no problem with the halo. I do however think that graphic is hideous.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3817870)   #1453
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
At last the halo has a use!
Old 28 Apr 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3817872)   #1454
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
At last the halo has a use!
That was my first thought. And the fact that the gear info and speed is right in the viewers vision makes it easy to read. IMHO- good move.

And I canít see fitting the mirror supports to the halo as a big deal either.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3817877)   #1455
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn’t like the graphic. It would have been better in a simple box. More useful.

As for it being an attempt to hide the halo. Clearly not. It highlights it. It was just an attempt to use the space. Nice idea. I didn’t think it worked, but it’s no more than using the space on the screen.

I notice it in those shots, but my natural interest in how the car is behaving and the steering inputs takes off. My inherent interest in F1 is watching it to enjoy not be outraged.

I would get rid of it still, but I am hardly noticing it in normal racing shots.