Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2002, 15:29 (Ref:286376)   #1
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
food for thought

Not to sound dogmatic or to get preachy, I just want to say something in the spirit of human behavior.

Many of us are downright upset about the events of this past Sunday on the Austrian GP. We are even writing letters and signing petitions. We want things made right and we are trying to do something about it.

Every day, around 24,000 human beings die of hunger, mostly children (According to the Hunger Site) http://www.thehungersite.com/cgi-bin...ects/CTDSites#

As human beings, let us remember that when something upsets us, like in our case as F 1 fans, there are other things in life that are also very upsetting and that we should adamantly do something about too.

Again, I know there is a time and place for everything. And I feel I have to say this now.
Old 14 May 2002, 16:23 (Ref:286427)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right. Morality is not limited to outrage at wrongs in any one field, and the best thing to do is to ACT.

Maybe if you take the money you would have spent on F1 stuff from now to June 26 and donate it to any cause or activity that helps others that you like -- from the next homeless person you see, your religious group, the Salvation Army, even to Cat Liberation if you like.

Send Bernie a nice note and tell him about it. I'm sure he'd be really pleased too.
Old 14 May 2002, 17:04 (Ref:286464)   #3
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup - That's why I quit the 'rat race' and big bucks to do what I do!
Old 14 May 2002, 17:36 (Ref:286481)   #4
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a fair comment Race A. & you are correct. I am still a bit upset about the whole thing, but as you point out, there are more important things to be upset about.

Hugh - out of interest, what do you do? - just curious !
Old 14 May 2002, 20:08 (Ref:286619)   #5
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Piquet
Hugh - out of interest, what do you do? - just curious !
If I told you and the others, what very little credibility I have to discuss the technical and glamourous world of F1 may be gone for ever!

Old 14 May 2002, 20:48 (Ref:286654)   #6
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmmn - now I'm even more intrigued !!
Old 14 May 2002, 21:09 (Ref:286674)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, so very true, and of course the only reason we are so upset by the A1-Ring Ferrari shame is because it hit us were it hurts - our passion of motor racing.

It's the world's problems, as you so rightly point out, that put this into perspective.
Old 14 May 2002, 21:18 (Ref:286683)   #8
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Yes, so very true, and of course the only reason we are so upset by the A1-Ring Ferrari shame is because it hit us were it hurts - our passion of motor racing.

It's the world's problems, as you so rightly point out, that put this into perspective.
Yes, and it would be so cool if we all (me included) would jump up and really get upset about people dying of hunger unnecesarily and do something about it.

It of course sounds way easier said than done but it should not stop us. The hungersite web site is an example of help that can be done.

. . . and by the way, I like Liz's idea . . .

Last edited by race aficionado; 14 May 2002 at 21:20.
Old 15 May 2002, 08:57 (Ref:287021)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by race aficionado
It of course sounds way easier said than done but it should not stop us.
The way this thread is going may 'stick in some people's throats' but the sentiment is close to my heart - providing it's genuine - which I think it is.

If you are serious about it, of course you can make a difference.

About three weeks ago I got back from a 10 day trip to Vietnam doing some 'underground' training for a certain group of people who are being persecuted by the communist authorities. Can't say anymore for obvious reasons - but suffice to say, it was life changing to see.

In Windsor, a bunch of us got a housing project going for homeless people going.

The above are not meant to be boastful in any way, but just to say 'go on have a bash! 'Even a few quid / dollars can make a difference to someone!

End of 'preachy' bit!
Old 15 May 2002, 10:13 (Ref:287077)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I knew it

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce

If I told you and the others, what very little credibility I have to discuss the technical and glamourous world of F1 may be gone for ever!

I knew it, I just knew it. You are a hairdresser, right?

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 15 May 2002, 10:16 (Ref:287079)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: food for thought

Quote:
Originally posted by race aficionado
Not to sound dogmatic or to get preachy, I just want to say something in the spirit of human behavior.

Many of us are downright upset about the events of this past Sunday on the Austrian GP. We are even writing letters and signing petitions. We want things made right and we are trying to do something about it.

Every day, around 24,000 human beings die of hunger, mostly children (According to the Hunger Site) http://www.thehungersite.com/cgi-bin...ects/CTDSites#

As human beings, let us remember that when something upsets us, like in our case as F 1 fans, there are other things in life that are also very upsetting and that we should adamantly do something about too.

Again, I know there is a time and place for everything. And I feel I have to say this now.
OK, if you really , really want to do something, you can.
Learn about the plight of the Amerasian orphans in Korea. Find out about them. Then adopt one of them. Want to know more, then PM me.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 15 May 2002, 11:50 (Ref:287165)   #12
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Good on ya Bounce! Keep going for it!

And by the way - regarding my potential hairdresser status, sadly, I'd have few clients on the basis of the lack and the style that I have to put up with on top these days!

On occaisions it looks a bit like I have employed an Aussie sheep shearer as a barber!