Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 22 Sep 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1716299)   #1
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Sharp

Read where he tested the DP-01 at Sebring.

I like Sharp and so do the fans. He is one of the few American road racers of his era to master the ovals. He has an Indy pole, a co-championship (albeit a three-race deal). other poles and other victories in the IRL.

He has unfinished business at Indy and he's been saddled with less than stellar equipment the past few years.

It would be sad to see him leave.....with a decent piece, he can still run with the big dogs.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1716304)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, can a test be a certain sign of him quitting?
Old 22 Sep 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1716315)   #3
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, Scott is one of the good guys who ideally will be in Indy Racing for a couple of years longer. Still, nothing unusual for open-wheel racers to do Sebring on a one-off basis, and that might be all he's planning.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1716322)   #4
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't think so, climb. I have a feeling he was just testing the waters at Sebring to see what it was all about. I have no reason to think he'd switch. I've heard on other boards that he has a sponsor in line and the sponsor wants Indy, soooo......
Old 22 Sep 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1716330)   #5
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
I wouldn't think so, climb. I have a feeling he was just testing the waters at Sebring to see what it was all about. I have no reason to think he'd switch. I've heard on other boards that he has a sponsor in line and the sponsor wants Indy, soooo......
He was just watching as far as I know.

If he was testing, can you blam him? It's a pretty nice new car CC has
Old 22 Sep 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1716332)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Agreed, Scott is one of the good guys who ideally will be in Indy Racing for a couple of years longer. Still, nothing unusual for open-wheel racers to do Sebring on a one-off basis, and that might be all he's planning.
Uh, I think you're confusing Sebring the place (testing ground for many cars, including the new Champcar) with Sebring the event (sportscars).

Scott wasn't there to test a sportscar.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Sep 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1716343)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speaking of sportscars....

If Scott stays with Fernandez for next season, I'd love to see him as the third driver in Adrian's Acura/Honda-powered Lola at the 12 Hours of Sebring next March, and when he does stop racing in the IRL, I hope that he goes to the ALMS full-time.

Scott is a class act and a solid driver who would be an ideal fit in an endurance race like Sebring.

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 22 Sep 2006 at 14:20.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Sep 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1716404)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting idea, Tim. Vitor Meira raced for Adrian in Utah this summer, and is now doing Petit Le Mans for Highcroft, so perhaps he's in the Acura / Fernandez picture too. Meira and Sharp in the same car?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Sep 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1716411)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good point, Paul....Adrian and his other full-season driver would occupy the other two seats in the Fernandez Lola.

Maybe Acura itself is behind Vitor's seat at Highcroft for Petit Le Mans, thus he could drive for either Fernandez or Highcroft at Sebring???

But I do think that Scott would be a good third driver for an Acura team...he was steady and quick when he drove prototypes in the 24 Hours of Daytona (even prior to the DPs) , and has many years of sportscar racing experience.

They could do a lot worse than Scott, IMO....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Sep 2006, 00:29 (Ref:1716806)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like delphi is gone.

There are rumors sharp is sniffing around champcar. We'll see what happens.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1717168)   #11
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott has already secured a significant check from Patron Tequila to replace Delphi
Old 23 Sep 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1717341)   #12
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He has unfinished business at Indy and he's been saddled with less than stellar equipment the past few years.
I'm not so sure how less than stellar it was the last few years. (this year all Teams Except Captian and Chip's Teams were less than stellar.
He got the exact Team Adrian Fernandez had (where at last notice and no testing they joined the IRL Season in progress) and ended up winning 3 races at the end of that Year). I was hoping he would have taken Adrians momentum and showed a bit more that first year with Fernadez racing than he did. Personally I dont know were to rate him with the so called big dogs. He is a good driver though (maybe not as consistant as he could be) and I would like to see him in a good ride.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 23:38 (Ref:1717351)   #13
indycool
Veteran

Boom boom, for the record, the Fernzndez team has run full schedules since it joined the IRL and Sharp replaced Fernandez as a driver at the START of a season. The team, like Rahal/Letterman, lasted as long as it could with Panoz chassis before they were able to latch on to Dallaras and be more competitive.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1717549)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I have no reason to think he'd switch.
Apart from him testing a Champ Car.

Quote:
I've heard on other boards that he has a sponsor in line and the sponsor wants Indy, soooo......
Hasnt CC left May open for teams to compete in the CC championship aswell as the 500
Old 24 Sep 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1717551)   #15
indycool
Veteran

CC hasn't done anything witrh regard to a May schedule yet. It floated around in the merger talks for awhile and hasn't been addressed since both series started putting together their own deals for '07.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1717569)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
CC hasn't done anything witrh regard to a May schedule yet. It floated around in the merger talks for awhile and hasn't been addressed since both series started putting together their own deals for '07.
Robin Miller sounded pretty certain that this would be the case, however you are correct as the CC schedule will be announced next Wednesday.

The movement away from Milwaukee by CC might also be a hint.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1721238)   #17
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Sharp is my 12-year old daughter's favourite racer.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1721291)   #18
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, the CC schedule is out and they're currently scheduled to race in China on bump day, but other than that, the month is clear.