Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jan 2019, 07:59 (Ref:3873878)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Licensing and medical costs

Now I'm officially 'middle aged' I need a medical just to load the trailer . . . Having had a year off, have I missed something or am I a victim of south east tax?

Just been quoted £500 for a stressed ecg . . . .Int license renewal seems to be nearly double what it was a few years ago as well!

I don't 'need' and Int license for most things, but it has come in handy for a few events, I've been lucky enough to do . . and it's nice to know some races upping their requirements to at least necessitate a modicum of apparent competence before smashing stuff up.

Any suggestions welcome. If I have to bite the bullet so be it, I'm not quite ready for Sunday morning car shows, matching tweed blanket and flask!
Old 4 Jan 2019, 09:13 (Ref:3873891)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Zef I’m paying £295 for med and SRECG. I’ll pm where....
Old 4 Jan 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3873972)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Now I'm officially 'middle aged' I need a medical just to load the trailer . . . Having had a year off, have I missed something or am I a victim of south east tax?

Just been quoted £500 for a stressed ecg . . . .Int license renewal seems to be nearly double what it was a few years ago as well!

I don't 'need' and Int license for most things, but it has come in handy for a few events, I've been lucky enough to do . . and it's nice to know some races upping their requirements to at least necessitate a modicum of apparent competence before smashing stuff up.

Any suggestions welcome. If I have to bite the bullet so be it, I'm not quite ready for Sunday morning car shows, matching tweed blanket and flask!
Get in touch with the Porsche center at Silverstone. We have had this chat before. They have days where you can have your Stressed ECG on a push bike.Jeezzzz £500 notes sure is steep.
Old 4 Jan 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3873990)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Get in touch with the Porsche centre at Silverstone. They have days where you can have your Stressed ECG on a push bike.
That's what I told him……
Old 4 Jan 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3874001)   #5
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spoke to a driver from Aberdeen who was getting his done somewhere in the Manchester area while he was there as the best he found locally was 700 and needed two visits to the clinic, one for the med and one for the ECG. I think I know where Zef's quote was from but if you don't want to lose a whole day getting to Silverstone and back via the M25, you don't have a lot of choice.
Old 4 Jan 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3874005)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
No complaints with the service there Colin, but they clearly have a closed shop in the SE.

I may yet actually just stick to National A . . . and cross the stress bit if I ever need it.
Old 4 Jan 2019, 21:47 (Ref:3874069)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
but Silverstone is definitely in the south....
Old 5 Jan 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3874110)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
You obviously have a Yorkshire compass.

Interstingly, all the local companies that list medical for everything from cabbies, to International racing super heros, all suggest sillystone for stressed ECG's, and another place way up, almost Scandinavia I think.

Have found somewhere in Surrey, suggesting £290.

I'm sure this has been posted before, it is old, but nothing has changed . . .

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...-wise-men.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
but Silverstone is definitely in the south....
Old 5 Jan 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3874117)   #9
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zef....I have used SCVC in Guildford for stress ECG £247 when I last had it, might be worth a call.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 5 Jan 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3874130)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Interstingly, all the local companies that list medical for everything from cabbies, to International racing super heros, all suggest sillystone for stressed ECG's, and another place way up, almost Scandinavia I think.
The Doc I use for truck and race meds (when no ECG reqd) main business is commercial airline and helicopter driver medicals- neither of whom are required to have an SRECG...…. So being hobby race drivers we're obviously very special!
Old 5 Jan 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3874168)   #11
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So being hobby race drivers we're obviously very special!
Yes, what do you think, Mike? And Sunday drivers too, because there are few races on Tuesdays! Proof in the pudding!

Zef, what about simulating a heart attack to have your ECG paid by your insurance company? If they inquire, you can always pretend you just received a bill for your Tornado! Hence the shock…
Old 5 Jan 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3874170)   #12
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm sure this has been posted before, it is old, but nothing has changed . . .

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...-wise-men.html

There is something in the thinking of nearly all regulatory bodies in the UK that they believe that they have to go over the top when setting their criteria.

The same applies in pilot training, or it certainly used to. The CAA used to insist that to obtain your basic private pilots' licence that you had to demonstrate to an examiner that you were able to bring an aircraft out of a stall that induced a spin.

However, any competent pilot will tell you that the only time that you are likely to suffer a stall with spin is either immediately after take-off or when lining up for landing, and at such times you are unlikely to be much more than 500 to 1000 feet above ground. As such, it would be almost impossible to recover from the spin before impacting the ground.

This is why pretty well every other country around the world stopped making this a part of the flying examination. In fact, when I obtained my PPL in the late 70s, I came to an arrangement with the examiner (with help from my instructor) that he would accept my being able to recover to level flight when the aircraft was at the incipient stage of the stall/spin.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3874188)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Exactly where I'm heading, Mrs and Mrs LAK have both used them too, just under an hour from home and free tee and biscuits at the Kennedeys after as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Zef....I have used SCVC in Guildford for stress ECG £247 when I last had it, might be worth a call.
Old 19 Jan 2019, 07:09 (Ref:3877136)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Tongue firmly in cheek, I’m wondering if the fact that there is now a watch that is able to perform an ECG on the wearer will ultimately change the whole scene.....

Having said that, the NHRA here have to approve the device first, which could take years, apparently. In the USA the FDA have now issued approval, so you’re free to buy one (asa they go on sale) over there!

As I said, tongue firmly in cheek. I somehow doubt the watch could replicate the sophisticated multi channel recording those of us having a SRECG experience....
Old 19 Jan 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3877140)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I’m wondering if the fact that there is now a watch that is able to perform an ECG on the wearer will ultimately change the whole scene
"Time" to change …
Old 20 Jan 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3877302)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

As I said, tongue firmly in cheek. I somehow doubt the watch could replicate the sophisticated multi channel recording those of us having a SRECG experience....
You never know, it would only need a few pads that are bluetoothed to the watch or phone for it to work, defibrillators have come a long way in the last 10 or 15 years to the point where anyone can operate one now.....of course provided you're the one breathing.