Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2004, 13:04 (Ref:911971)   #1
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pantano first victim one engine-rule

I just read on a Dutch site that Panano is the first victim of the one engine-rule. Tomorrow he will start at the last position.

Fact is, he is put back two positions on the starting grid. If this would have been happen to someone in the top 10, he would be put back ten places. In my opinion that is unfair.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 13:24 (Ref:911986)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well then again, the more the top teams are disadvantaged, and the less for the bottom teams....the better.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 13:44 (Ref:911991)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Not a big loss really, I'm still trying to work out if Pantano is bad or Bruni is good.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:50 (Ref:912158)   #4
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

:confused: Let us know when you have worked that one out Wrex:confused: :confused:
Old 20 Mar 2004, 16:44 (Ref:912279)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
no loss really...
Old 20 Mar 2004, 18:01 (Ref:912421)   #6
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if i agree that if a front runner was to be put back ten places it is unfair. to make up ten places in a ferrari is proberly much easier than Pantano making up two in a Jordan. I think it makes the race more interesting i wonder how many places Alonso will make up on the start alone.

Last edited by hamsmith; 20 Mar 2004 at 18:02.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 18:59 (Ref:912539)   #7
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think overall, the rule is good, but believe they should be able to replace an engine after Friday practice.

As for Pantano losing out, that is the way it is. He will start behind Alonso and Sato, who both failed to complete a lap for time. Had Pantano set a time that put him in the top ten, they would be behind him - other way 'round.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 19:03 (Ref:912546)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The rule is stupid anyways....why punish a driver for an engineering fault/failure?

It's no loss to Pantano really.....he was abysmal in qualifying. I expected him to do well, but to get outqualified by Baumgartner in the most unstable car ever is something of a letdown.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 19:04 (Ref:912549)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest it wouldn't matter where Pantano qualified as he'd be overtaken pretty quickly anyway.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 23:09 (Ref:912937)   #10
Charlex
Rookie

Argentina
Buenos Aires
Charlex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
The rule is stupid anyways....why punish a driver for an engineering fault/failure?
Because the races are of cars, not drivers alone, if you want to see a races of drivers, put all in the same car.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 11:14 (Ref:913848)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been amazed by Pantano's complete failure to get the hang of these cars. He's looked ragged in every sessiona dn extremely slow, as well as prone to spinning. The Jordan clearly isn't truly awful, Heidfeld's been quite competitive, and Pantano has a good record - maybe he's another Zanardi, and F1 cars of today just don't suit him.

He opted to start from the pitlane full of fuel, but who else noticed that the 18th, not 20th, grid spot was vacated - in other words, he wasn't put behind ALonso or Sato? Does that seem silly to anyone else, considering what the penalty is supposed to represent?