Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 12 Jul 2009, 14:44 (Ref:2500161)   #1
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PAS, assist reduction mod?

Its the electric motor pump type and although its reasonable in feedback for a road car.. its still a fair bit over assisted, as I soon realised when the alternator belt snapped the other day, it transformed the car with so much more steering feedback and grip level info reaching the steering wheel.. made it feel like a proper competition car, I was loving every minute until parking and low speeds.. lol.
Removing the fuse would be the obvious answer but I still feel a small -50% of original level of PAS would be benificial on the whole. Tiny holes drilled or valves inserted in the Rams? I really dont know enough about hydraulics to know the best thing to do.

Is this viable? How would you aproach this?
Old 12 Jul 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2500168)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
A switch to turn it off when on track maybe although with no power going to the unit would it cause damage?
Old 12 Jul 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2500205)   #3
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
A switch to turn it off when on track maybe although with no power going to the unit would it cause damage?

It looks like this possibility (with alternator belts snapping etc) has been accounted for due to there being two pressure release valves on the pump.
The problem with simply switching it off is that you end up with some artificial steering resistance than if the PAS system and rams were removed due to you physically moving the PAS fluid through the valves via the rams.

The ideal solution in my mind would be fitting some kind of adjustable valve to both rams... but not 100% sure.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2505685)   #4
Zico
Racer

Changed my mind about this idea since renewing my front centre ARB bushes for Powerflex items, the steering has tightened right up, has much more feedback, the ARB comes into play a bit earlier and now feels a bit stiffer. Hoping I'll feel more improvement when the wishbone bushes get fitted.
Never thought such a small change could make such a big difference.