Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2944255)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
FIA ban DRS use at Eau Rouge (Radillion)

Yes, a genuine race related thread! It's been too long!

DRS banned through Au Rouge. Some drivers expressed a concern that the device may not function correctly at that particular part of the circuit. DRS will not be activated at that part of the circuit during the race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93886
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:37 (Ref:2944261)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
correct me if i am wrong but during the race the DRS zone will be on the grid straight and ending prior to La Source...never during Eau Rouge anyways.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2944268)   #3
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing it will be during practise and qualifying rather than race

Reading the article confirms it. with the area in the race being radillion until les combes
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2944270)   #4
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Yes, a genuine race related thread! It's been too long!

DRS banned through Au Rouge. Some drivers expressed a concern that the device may not function correctly at that particular part of the circuit. DRS will not be activated at that part of the circuit during the race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93886
Article refers to practice and qualifying.....during which I presume they would have been able to use it, had it not been for this ban...
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2944273)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I knew they would wimp out on this one. I bet JV is laughing his head off. Who wants Eau Rouge to be "difficult" anyway?!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2944278)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The DRS zone, during the race, does not include Eau Rouge anyway.

DRS use is banned in Eau Rouge during practice and qualifying.

It is thought that there would be a problem of the wing not going back into full down-force configuration if the driver should need to use the brakes, due to the unique effects that Radillion has on down-force.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2944301)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even with 10% less downforce, surely the current cars would still be able to take eau Rouge flat out? It's silly really, the drivers aren't stupid. They know the limits of their car, largely, so if their car was incapable of taking Eau Rouge flat-out, then disable it.

I think the BBC mentioned how the DRS closes only on the brakes, but I'm sure the drivers were using it between turns 7 and 8 in Turkey, where there is no braking involved.

I think it's a fuss over nothing, but if the drivers complain and would then criticise the decision if they don't get what they want, what can you do?
Old 22 Aug 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2944319)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's not the down-force that's really the problem. It's the balance front to rear. Cars have gone through there with less down force, but probably not as unbalanced as a current F1 car with its DRS enabled would be. Too much down force at the front, not enough at the back. Could be nasty!

It's the balance, and not the total amount of down force that is the problem. Plus there may be some issue with the wing not going back to its default position if the driver uses the brakes in that area.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2944329)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Is someone going to correct the title of the thread?
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2944332)   #10
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
DRS ZONE

My understanding of the DRS Zone is that off the red line that I have drawn, my question is why not the green line aswell? ...I know the saftey arguement hence why i cut the line short of Blanchimont

Please discuss
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2944339)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Is someone going to correct the title of the thread?

There are some things that you shouldn't leave for your spell checker to handle.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2944352)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It should be mandatory that it is used through Eau Rouge.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2944355)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Agreed.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2944370)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Unless there is Eau on the track.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2944374)   #15
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Seconded. I would also like it to have some 'la pluie' on the track come race day. What is it a French lesson on here or some thing?

I would have thought that Spa being so big there could be at least two DRS zones? The main one being along 'Blanchimont' and finishing just after the 'Bus Stop' chicane. The other one? Well, after 'La Source' and through 'Eau Rouge' and finishing after 'Les Combes'. Okay, I suppose I could handle it starting after 'Eau Rouge' and then finishing at 'Les Combes'.

Sadly Spa has lost some of its edge in recent years. Eau Rouge is no longer that much of a challenge to a F1 car. Plus the new Bus Stop chicane I don't like that much. Still 'Pouhon' is still a challenge.

I wonder what Kimi the Spa Master would make of it?
Old 22 Aug 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2944376)   #16
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Unless there is Eau on the track.
Of any colour?
Old 22 Aug 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2944380)   #17
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
Of any colour?
Yep, the 'rouge' can come from the drivers when they see the 'red mist'.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2944416)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
I wonder what Kimi the Spa Master would make of it?
He would absolutely storm it!
Old 25 Aug 2011, 01:11 (Ref:2945414)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I knew they would wimp out on this one. I bet JV is laughing his head off. Who wants Eau Rouge to be "difficult" anyway?!
Who indeed, one of the cash cows may injure himself when his ambition exceeds his talent. You must remember many of them are not very experienced or talented.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 04:01 (Ref:2945433)   #20
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
+1
Old 25 Aug 2011, 05:01 (Ref:2945440)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
What is it a French lesson on here or some thing?
Wallonie
Old 25 Aug 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2945614)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame rules like this have been implemented this year... rules that keep contradicting themselves

You can only use DRS in a certain zone or two in the race..

But you can use it whenever you want in practice & qualifying....

But sometimes you can't because a bunch of drivers complain....

If someone can get through Eau Rouge while using it, well they should be allowed to! If other drivers can't get through there safely using it, don't they have the option of not using it??
Old 25 Aug 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2945623)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reality shows go like this...
Old 25 Aug 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2945634)   #24
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

If someone can get through Eau Rouge while using it, well they should be allowed to! If other drivers can't get through there safely using it, don't they have the option of not using it??
couldn't agree more, it seems that some drivers are either jealous or a word shared by house cats and female genitalia.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2945638)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Well, exactly who those drivers are then ?