Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Dec 2017, 00:40 (Ref:3784643)   #2501
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaynes321 View Post
I will be sad to see the sharkfins go I think they looked really cool - but not the coat hangers ! and of course im dreading the Halo

I agree, I like the shark fins too.

Can't imagine that the sponsors would be to pleased with the demise of the shark fins, they are very good ad hoardings, number too.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 04:13 (Ref:3784674)   #2502
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I agree, I like the shark fins too.
Me too. My favourite shark fin is THIS ONE.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 04:28 (Ref:3784680)   #2503
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Me too. My favourite shark fin is THIS ONE.
I think that carbon fibre soup would be very hard on your digestive system!
Old 4 Dec 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3785019)   #2504
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I'm sure one of the commentators on sky said the teams will be allowed to add winglets to the halo but I haven't heard anything since. Are we going to see more of these little things on the cars next year?
Yep.

Old 4 Dec 2017, 14:06 (Ref:3785040)   #2505
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yep.

It looks like McLaren have added a leading edge to the Halo. Is that green stuff meant to be decorative?
Old 4 Dec 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3785052)   #2506
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It looks like McLaren have added a leading edge to the Halo. Is that green stuff meant to be decorative?
I presumed it was the viz-flo paint stuff that's used to map air flow?
Old 4 Dec 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3785056)   #2507
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That has to be flow viz paint.

Anyhow... I wonder if there is a potential for the aero devices making cockpit egress harder? What happens when you as a driver are trying to get out, grab the halo to help pull yourself out and pull off a handful of aero treatments instead?

They should have specified a aero neutral cross section (they may have) and not allowed anything to be attached to the halo itself.

Richard
Old 4 Dec 2017, 16:40 (Ref:3785070)   #2508
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So it could make an ugly device even uglier
Old 4 Dec 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3785074)   #2509
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3785076)   #2510
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!
You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3785080)   #2511
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's what Formula One does best.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3785095)   #2512
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe they can bring back the X-Wings too?
Old 4 Dec 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3785117)   #2513
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.
you can't polish a poo but you can roll it in glitter...
Old 4 Dec 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3785121)   #2514
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
you can't polish a poo but you can roll it in glitter...
It looks like they've tried to cover it in viz-flo paint.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 22:38 (Ref:3785137)   #2515
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
That has to be flow viz paint.

Anyhow... I wonder if there is a potential for the aero devices making cockpit egress harder? What happens when you as a driver are trying to get out, grab the halo to help pull yourself out and pull off a handful of aero treatments instead?

They should have specified a aero neutral cross section (they may have) and not allowed anything to be attached to the halo itself.

Richard
When the car has been upside down and the aero bits have all been disrupted and are now hanging of the Halo in a series of sharp "knives", then we will see just how truly bright allowing the teams to decorate the halos is.
Safety device, just leave it clean and unadorned.
Jeez!
Old 6 Dec 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3785406)   #2516
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
3 engines per car is now set for 2018.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...e-rule-986349/

Would love to see the Ferrari engines cost them the championship next year.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3785412)   #2517
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Tbh that would be justice if it costs Ferrari, but I just can’t see that happening. Yet more loaf in the sand thinking from the FIA
Old 7 Dec 2017, 05:25 (Ref:3785581)   #2518
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The FiA has tweaked the rules in readiness for the fracas that will be because of the engine related grid penalties for the upcoming season.

"A change to the power unit penalty system was also approved, whereby if a driver incurs a penalty exceeding 15 grid places he will be required to start the race from the back of the starting grid. If more than one driver receives such a penalty they will be arranged at the back of the grid in the order in which the offences were committed."

Apparently, it's to make things less confusing for the fans.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-announc...il-decisions-8
Old 7 Dec 2017, 05:36 (Ref:3785583)   #2519
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The FiA has tweaked the rules in readiness for the fracas that will be because of the engine related grid penalties for the upcoming season.

"A change to the power unit penalty system was also approved, whereby if a driver incurs a penalty exceeding 15 grid places he will be required to start the race from the back of the starting grid. If more than one driver receives such a penalty they will be arranged at the back of the grid in the order in which the offences were committed."

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-announc...il-decisions-8
That's going to liven things up, as teams will try and get their penalty in first, so their driver doesn't end up at the back of the grid.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 05:52 (Ref:3785586)   #2520
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seemz it means if two drivers are on the back of the grid, this with less grid place penalties + starting position without them would race before the other.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3785591)   #2521
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
That's going to liven things up, as teams will try and get their penalty in first, so their driver doesn't end up at the back of the grid.
I remember when teams would try and get their car in first place, now teams will race to try and get their penalty in first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
It seemz it means if two drivers are on the back of the grid, this with less grid place penalties + starting position without them would race before the other.
Hmmm... well they did say it was to make things less confusing for the fans.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3785612)   #2522
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I have images in my head of Horner wielding a lump hammer at the side of the Renault lump.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3785614)   #2523
S griffin
Veteran

It's not the best solution, but it will be better than what we got at the moment
Old 12 Dec 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3786487)   #2524
wnut
Veteran

Is the F1 hybrid formula really relevant to anyone?

Old 12 Dec 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3786490)   #2525
wnut
Veteran