Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2004, 08:10 (Ref:911671)   #1
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks ITV

good to see a company who can prioritise... now we all know cartoons are a higher priority than F1 qualifying!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 09:14 (Ref:911750)   #2
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. I was dumb enough to wake up thinking it was live...
Old 20 Mar 2004, 09:33 (Ref:911769)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many times do you have to be told.

GMTV, not ITV owns the frequency between 0600 and 0925.

ITV have bought the space from them for the race - doing so for qualifying is not commercially worthwhile.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 09:40 (Ref:911778)   #4
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hey,

We don't even get the race live in Australia, we have some crappy reality programs that rate much lower than the F1 GP did (second highest in the ratings that week) instead, and have to wait till 10:40 to watch the race. But the TV channel will put the results in to each news break for us to try and avoid.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 09:58 (Ref:911801)   #5
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But (comment yet again) what about ITV2
Old 20 Mar 2004, 10:16 (Ref:911819)   #6
Russ
Rookie

Russ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
How many times do you have to be told.

ITV have bought the space from them for the race - doing so for qualifying is not commercially worthwhile.
Even so it still makes you want to vomit in terror!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:17 (Ref:911881)   #7
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back

I see so lets get this straight........ paying a fortune for the rights to show something when you have no medium on which to show it is commercially worthwile? Personally i think its a total waste of money ! and yes why not ITV2?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:19 (Ref:911884)   #8
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I am happy not to life in the UK...
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:34 (Ref:911903)   #9
James Kimbley
Rookie

England
James Kimbley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off topic - but howcomes the ITV-F1.com forums closed down?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 13:24 (Ref:911987)   #10
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think the BBC would have shown qualifying live if they had the rights? 2 channels after all: show F1 on one and cartoons,as usual, on the other.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:46 (Ref:912147)   #11
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, the BBC wouldn't have bothered either. It would still have had the feed from News 24. The old coverage from the BBC makes the ITV coverage look good. How many times are people going to have such short memories about the BBC, harking back to the "halycon" days of the BBC not bothering to show qualifying, going off-air immediately the second the race finished and no dedicated F1 programme. GET REAL.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 17:16 (Ref:912325)   #12
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bluebeard
and yes why not ITV2?
Not everyone that get's ITV1 can get ITV2. I can't for one.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 20:18 (Ref:912682)   #13
mcrane2000
Rookie

mcrane2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Granted, not everyone can get ITV2, but it is surely better to air the programme on some medium than not at all, if not, then why does ITV2 exsist!
The fact that not everyone can see it nevert stopped ITV fom airing half of last years rugby world cup on ITV2! so how is this different.
If, as it appears, ITV1 is unavailable as first choice, then surely ITV2 would be a logical 2nd choice!!!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 20:27 (Ref:912693)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did Sky Sports suddenly stop broadcasting the Premiership because some people don't have Sky? No they didn't, so ITV better start putting some qualifying on ITV2 pretty quickly!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 20:45 (Ref:912720)   #15
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ironic is it not that ITV expressed it's dissapointment with the current qualifying format (reported on page 9 of this weeks Autosport magazine) further stating that the popularity of the new format would be made clearer by the audience level for this weekend's sessions in Malaysia!...And then don't bother to show it live!...What nonsense is this!!!!?

I for one after 'listening' to qualifying live on BBC 5 Xtra Radio...participated in my own one man protest against the ITV by not bothering to watch their recorded programme at 1.30pm....Whilst I doubt they missed me...when I want to look at history..I'll read last weeks newspapers!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 20:46 (Ref:912723)   #16
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrane2000
Granted, not everyone can get ITV2, but it is surely better to air the programme on some medium than not at all, if not, then why does ITV2 exsist!
The fact that not everyone can see it nevert stopped ITV fom airing half of last years rugby world cup on ITV2! so how is this different.
If, as it appears, ITV1 is unavailable as first choice, then surely ITV2 would be a logical 2nd choice!!!
Probably because they had GMTV2 on ITV2. Well, ITV2 exists to air the vast amount of soaps, reality shows and other rubbish that seem to pollute the airwaves nowadays

But I do admit ITV do have to get their act together.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 20:49 (Ref:912727)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
actually cartoons are better
Old 20 Mar 2004, 20:58 (Ref:912743)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Not live in NZ either,delayed coverage pretending to be live at 10:30pm,which is crappy as they spend and hour pretending to preveiw an event that happened 6 hours earlier.
Oh well better than nothing I guess.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 22:10 (Ref:912826)   #19
mortda
Rookie

mortda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a pity that here in NZ that the race couldn't be shown live on TV2 as The NZBC owns both TV1 & TV2 and they have done this sort of thing before with other programs.
Maybe all us NZ F1 Petrol Heads should get a petition up and see if we can get them to reprogram the Sunday nights so that they Show both the Malaysian And Japanese GPs on TV2 instead of the normal Sunday Night **** they are showing (bit late this year, for the Malaysian but the Japanese is still to come at the end of the season)
Old 20 Mar 2004, 22:19 (Ref:912839)   #20
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin Brundle is the star of the show...but as for Mark Blunders...give us a break!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 23:19 (Ref:912964)   #21
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrane2000
I agree on this.

Every time I check ITV2, it's always a flippin' soap omnibus.

If they can't show qally live on ITV1 because GMTV own the airtime, show it live on ITV2! Of course, the same proramme should also be shown on ITV1 as well when possible for those who don't have access to it.

They have this extra channel at their disposal, but they still put tosh on it.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 01:48 (Ref:913226)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even with Eurosports terrible programming schedules....sometimes , i wish they still had the rights to F1....as they did actually do quite a committed job in their coverage ....

ITV are pants....yes , Brundle is very good .....but thats the only plus point i can see.....They dont deserve to cover the sport....
Old 21 Mar 2004, 01:52 (Ref:913235)   #23
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very true sato. But as in everything, money talks. *sigh*

Last edited by Spudgun; 21 Mar 2004 at 01:52.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 10:22 (Ref:913758)   #24
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GMTV have the frequency at that time of the morning so it seems nothing much can be done about that. But what excuse do ITV have for not showing qualifying live when it is on in the evening? ITV have never shown qualifying for Canada live (nor IIRC did they show qualifying for Brazil and Indy live last year); what chance is there of that ever changing?

Would there really be that much uproar from Saturday evening prime time viewers to deter live coverage of evening qualifying?

In fairness to ITV; at least they show all* the races live - in contrast to Eurosport when you are left wondering if/when the forthcoming CART/F3000 races are going to be shown.

* (except Indianapolis in 2000 )
Old 21 Mar 2004, 10:35 (Ref:913785)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think people are complaining too much about this, although it was a nuisance for me yesterday, as I avoided the result so I could see it, adn couldn't get online afterwards.

Showing it on ITV2 is no use to most people, an you can still avoid the result until then easily enough.

As for the Saturday evening qualifying, the shows they show have much higher viewing figures, as well as a regular schedule, so it's perfectly natural to concentrate on those.

BBC never showed more than 5 minutes of qualifying away from Silverstone, so let's be grateful for what we get now.