Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2004, 08:52 (Ref:913557)   #1
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV Commercial Breaks

Are ITV going for a record or something? 2 Ad breaks in 8 minutes before the start of the race.

Why not have 15 minutes of solid adverts before the start and that means the race can be shown uninterrupted.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 08:57 (Ref:913567)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You clearly don't understand the realities of commercial broadcasting.

The ads are spaced through the race so people see them - and the advertiser gets value for money.

If all the ads were shown in a fifteen minute block, no-one would watch them, no-one would advertise and your tv channel would be out of business.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 08:58 (Ref:913570)   #3
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but that's what they do with football! if someone tried to interrupt a footie game with ads there would be riots... we are just too used to that...
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:03 (Ref:913578)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
they don't run a big block of ads in football.

they have a few breaks in the build up, 45 minutes ad-free, a few breaks at half time, 45 minutes ad-free then a few breaks afterwards.

F1 doesn't have "natural breaks" so as long as it is on a commercial channel you'll have to suffer commercials.

We didn't miss anything anyway.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:06 (Ref:913583)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure if ITV put there mind to it, they could have the race in a picture box inside the ad window.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:11 (Ref:913592)   #6
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not too bothered about the breaks. I'm more concerned that yet again most 'events' were mostly missed by the tv coverage.

I also am very annoyed that the times behind the leader are not shown any more. that means we have to rely on listeneing to the commentators to work out where everyone is and how far apart they are.

Yet again a new low in quality of tv coverage for this race.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:17 (Ref:913618)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Advertising rules dictate you can't run the race in a picture box during the commercials.

As for the quality of the coverage - it was decent. I've seen a lot worse.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:18 (Ref:913619)   #8
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they showed several times on screen the gap from the leader to second place, second to third and so on.

does it really matter anyway, you know no one is going to pass MS
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:20 (Ref:913630)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My 4 year old lad asked whether the race stops during the ads. It might as well - bring back full coverage.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:21 (Ref:913633)   #10
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If You`ve never watched a Motor race in America on TV, It makes ITV look like the BBC,and why does Jim Rosenthal keep smiling every time Tony Jardie is Talking is there some Footsy action going on!!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:24 (Ref:913641)   #11
James Kimbley
Rookie

England
James Kimbley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A picture box would never happen as advertiser would refuse to advertise, as with a picture box you would be concentrating on the race and not the advert. So the advert would have no effect so no point advertising.

So you might be thinking yes no adverts. But with out adverts ITV would not exist, and we would not get to see the F1 Free.

The no chance of the BBC getting F1 again as the BBC can not afford the rights, to any decent sports anymore.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:45 (Ref:913693)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rosenthal really freaks me out. Just watch him when he's talking to Tony Jardine:

He'll ask Tony a question, then immediately stop listening and look at his bits of paper with a deep frown on his face. Then he'll look at the camera and put on a wicked smile.
Then, the director will say something into his earpiece and, whilst Tony Jardine is still talking, you can see Jim gagging to ask him a different question completely oblivious to what he's saying. Then he'll look at the camera again and smile, a wicked, devious smile. And then frown and nod to look interested. And smile again.
And then of course, he'll ask a totally different question and start the process again.

I was on the verge of suicide watching this hideous man take yet another long, extended dump on the sport we love.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 10:21 (Ref:913755)   #13
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know, its painful to watch, especially as they might as well be wearing Ferrari t-shirts and be broadcasting from inside the Ferrari garage such is their bias but there you go...
I think they're all rubbish apart from Martin, if I was an F1 driver I'd make sure to be really sarcastic/akward whenever I'm being interviewed by ITV (apart from on the grid as they'd be other things to focus on at that time and as such, no time to mes around deliberatly).

Last edited by Matthopps; 21 Mar 2004 at 10:23.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 11:32 (Ref:913864)   #14
Russ
Rookie

Russ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bastinscully
If You`ve never watched a Motor race in America on TV, It makes ITV look like the BBC,and why does Jim Rosenthal keep smiling every time Tony Jardie is Talking is there some Footsy action going on!!

He sure is one cheesy clown!!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 12:14 (Ref:913887)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthopps
I know, its painful to watch, especially as they might as well be wearing Ferrari t-shirts and be broadcasting from inside the Ferrari garage such is their bias but there you go...

Glad someone's noticed.

Jim, Tony and James are so far up the backside of Ross Brawn they probably never see daylight.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 13:22 (Ref:913918)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I keep saying this;
I was in Italy for the 2001 German GP and on their terrestrial feed they had literally two 30-second ad breaks thoughout the entire GP.
I couldn't believe how few there were.

I think it just shows how ITV really milk the ad breaks, im sure they could have less if they really wanted.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 14:57 (Ref:913967)   #17
mark_l
Veteran

England
The Daily Telegraph is obviously not paying ITV enough for them to take their mobile studio to the flyaway races.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:25 (Ref:914026)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

The money the Daily Telegraph is paying will go straight onto ITV's accounts as advertising and sponsorship income.

The budget for the programme will have been allocated at a planning stage some time ago.

Just because a programme has a sponsor does not necessarily mean that money gets spent on the programme.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:38 (Ref:914044)   #19
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In defence of ITV I think Martin Brundle is their biggest asset I listen what he has to say and know its 100% genuine, I wish they would get Steve Ryder as Anchorman, remember the classic outside broadcast from Silverstone(they used to feed the BBC live feed around the circuit bigscreens), PLEASE ITV USE ITV2 FOR THE FLYAWAY QUALLY SESSIONS!!! I`m sure the BBC would use BBC2 or BBC3 learning from their mistakes from the past
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:40 (Ref:914046)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Steve Rider would be a good shout.

Knows motor-racing, too.

Unlike Jim.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:41 (Ref:914047)   #21
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shame about the telegraph, i used to like that paper, now im not going to buy it again as they ruin GP's with adverts! the more fans who boycott advertisers the better!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 16:46 (Ref:914051)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

If you boycott the advertisers then the advertisers are likely to pull out - meaning ITV would be forced into cutting their programming budget and F1 might end up on Sky.

Thus depriving non satellite viewers.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 17:00 (Ref:914074)   #23
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I though two ad breaks so close together so close to the start of the race was a bit off. There was only about a minute between them the Jim had to fill in, never heard him say so much!
Old 21 Mar 2004, 22:20 (Ref:914356)   #24
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Glad someone's noticed.

Jim, Tony and James are so far up the backside of Ross Brawn they probably never see daylight.
Well there's room in there for the 3 of them, plus a few more
Old 22 Mar 2004, 12:26 (Ref:914973)   #25
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I might become a broken record: ITV viewers - EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!!!

Our national TV, in addition to showin live quals after 12 yrs, is providing even more pleasure - NO AD BREAKS AT ALL!!! ?????

Last edited by ljakse; 22 Mar 2004 at 12:27.