Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1399016)   #1
bigjon
Racer

bigjon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's Jim going!?

At the end of the race Jim said some one else would be presenting at Spa - does this mean we might be getting rid of him. Could it be itv are thinking of replacing him next year...?

Maybe they could trial a better commentator too!
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1399020)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw something in a tabloid that he is returning to the football side of things, plus other sports, but not F1. There was no clue to his replacement.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1399026)   #3
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rosenthal annoyed me today and I don't think I'd miss him. I hope his stand in won't talk over the top of people like Jim did today when interviewing Martin Whitmarsh, when he was quite interesting to listen to.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1399029)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ask him: http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?T...am&PO_ID=33937
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1399054)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Angus Scott will be hosting it next week, but I don't know if this is on a emrely one-off basis. I think the commercial pressuires of the job hindered Jim's performance, he always seems keen to advertise something else. Although he made an effort to learn the idiosyncracities of F1, he's clerly not that enthusiastic about it.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1399065)   #6
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally (take deep breath and runs for cover) - I think it is obvious Jim prefers his football but he does, as Boots said, make an effort and has come along way. He even does ask questions and it someone for the ex-/current drivers to bounce off and is there more as a person to person link that commentator as such. In that respect he does really well. Just need that level of comminment but from someone who goes home and watchs the races they missed when at F1 rather than Jim watching football. (again not critical as that is his true love)
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1399067)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is a really update profile on ITV's football section of the website: http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/...647389,00.html

Is this bloke any good? He works for ITV so I am sort of thinking not. Am I wrong? Have ITV let a decent presenter slip through the selection process?
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1399069)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Angus still present the WRC coverage for ITV? I remember he did Le Mans when they covered that. He's probably better.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1399073)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
So you mean they may have chosen him because he either knows something about the sport, he likes the sport or both! Blummin' 'eck. Can he talk though?

I haven't seen any of the rally on ITV this year (always watched it elsewhere) and I was out of the country during the Le Mans coverage. I wait with eager anticipation.

On the Jim side has he ever missed a race? Or has he presented everyone since Melbourne 1997?
Old 4 Sep 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1399090)   #10
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
So you mean they may have chosen him because he either knows something about the sport, he likes the sport or both! Blummin' 'eck. Can he talk though?

I haven't seen any of the rally on ITV this year (always watched it elsewhere) and I was out of the country during the Le Mans coverage. I wait with eager anticipation.

On the Jim side has he ever missed a race? Or has he presented everyone since Melbourne 1997?
Whilst Angus isn't brilliant, I think he could probably better Jim
Old 5 Sep 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1399154)   #11
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Rosenthal annoyed me today and I don't think I'd miss him. I hope his stand in won't talk over the top of people like Jim did today when interviewing Martin Whitmarsh, when he was quite interesting to listen to.

best quote from todays coverage "me and mark took a detor on the way home last night we drove on the old banked circuit that doesnt exist"

hell i want some of what hes smoking!
Old 5 Sep 2005, 05:32 (Ref:1399197)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The explanation is:

Jim's presenting the boxing next Saturday night, as he will through the winter.

This will be the first Grand Prix he's missed since ITVF1 began in 1997.

Angus Scott is a very good presenter - knows his motorsport too.

Solid journalistic background too as a news broadcaster, so at least his questions will be intelligent, rather than parroted from a producer while not listening to the answers, a la Rosenthal.

On a trivia point: Angus is the brother of ITV newsreader Steve Scott.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1399894)   #13
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh no - I love Jim.

He has a great ability in fronting the most technologically advanced sport, asking the most amazingly simple questions and making them sound so flippin 'deep'.

It's a great skill and I shall miss the ...

"Now Tony, if Alonso crosses the line first today, surely that means he's won, doesn't it?"
Old 5 Sep 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1399943)   #14
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. Jim has me in a blind rage when I watch F1 most of the time, and many people I know feel the same way.

He is the most un-interesting, boring and ignorant person to be honest. He gets on my nerves when I just look at him, then he opens his mouth to speak and I have to be restrained from throwing the remote at the TV! Whenever he is asking questions to Tony or Mark or whoever else, you can tell he is actually not listening and always seems to talk over them just as they are finishing talking. He always looks so uncomfortable, you really can tell that someone is speaking into his ear whilst he is trying to listen to what Tony is saying, and he can't deal with those two things going on at the same time! I hope this is permanant, goodbye Jim!
Old 5 Sep 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1399945)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's no loss. Angus is a solid replacement, far more competent when it comes to interviewing drivers and team members. Best of all he always seems interested in what he's doing, which is something Jim sorely lacks on the F1 show.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 05:23 (Ref:1400029)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hear this may be a precursor to no Jim at all next season.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 05:28 (Ref:1400033)   #17
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All we need know if for James Allen to be replaced and we might have a programme worth watching.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1400517)   #18
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
C'mon people, look, I understand where everyone's coming from but let's face it - we're never going to be entirely happy with the presenting / commentating lineup are we? You can't please everyone, and there's always going to be at least one of us moaning. I liked the Murray and James Hunt combination, that one was good for me...but no-one can ever win. I know it doesn't *seem* too much to ask for, to have someone who can commentate and know the sport well, but I guess sometimes it just is. Or at least that's the way it seems to be.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1400520)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I agree nothing will ever be perfect, but that doesn't mean we can't want it to be perfect. In this case we are just asking for it to improve over the current pitifully inadequate situation
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1400523)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know we're just asking for it to improve, but sometimes you just wonder if these things are never meant to happen...

If you could have your ideal realistic commentary team, who would it be? (My magic wand's broken today so no bringing Murray out of retirement nor bringing James Hunt back either).
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1400529)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Simple. Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle. I also feel this is in no way unrealistic.

Of course Jim isn't commentary, but I'd have Steve Ryder back as anchorman. Now that would take a miracle! I wouldn't want him to leave the beeb just for F1 either.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1400535)   #22
Suze
Veteran

England
Personally I'm not a Ben Edwards fan...Martin yes I'd keep.

Steve Ryder back as anchorman would be good though.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1400707)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Oooh, sacrilige! Dissing Ben!

Ben will be doing the A1GP commentary for Sky over the winter - a good chance for those who need convincing to hear that he's the man for F1.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1400723)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
*oooh* I can hear the collective gasp now...

I have my reasons, that's all!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1400812)   #25
NWFF 37
Rookie

United Kingdom
warrington
NWFF 37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only one i really appreciate is Martin Brundle, he is very clever, doesnt miss much, speaks well and is close to many drivers (except schuey!) and therefore gets great interviews. IMO his grid walks are often better than the race!!

Oh and hes not Ferrari / Schumacher biased like his colleage!

Nor does he come out with constructive comments like, 'you would'nt wanna be a race tyre'.

Also is Ted Kravitz going for the world championship in stating the obvious? i always get the impression that drivers find him irritating, unlike louise, who they all seem to be ok with. Tony Jardines very good and knowledgeable too/