Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Jul 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1349932)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FIA ditch Michelin

Duped. Yes, the FIA have ditched Michelin for Yokohama as official suppliers for the WTCC next year.

I was wondering why there were so many 'Advan' ads in the coverage anyway.

Anyone think it's a revenge thing?
Old 7 Jul 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1349940)   #2
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wish they'd taken Dunlops. That would make BTCC and ETCC crossovers so much easier.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1349959)   #3
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto
Old 8 Jul 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1350056)   #4
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think so.
as you say there many ADVAN ads on the track this year
Old 8 Jul 2005, 04:04 (Ref:1350089)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm assuming Yokohama made the WTCC a better sponsorship offer. Or is the F1/Michelin/US Grand Prix fiasco getting out of hand? Will the sponsorship appear under Yokohama or Advan? I assume Advan is a division of Yokohama? Yokohama isn't really known as a touring car provider/sponsor???
Old 8 Jul 2005, 05:54 (Ref:1350110)   #6
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
I'm assuming Yokohama made the WTCC a better sponsorship offer. Or is the F1/Michelin/US Grand Prix fiasco getting out of hand? Will the sponsorship appear under Yokohama or Advan? I assume Advan is a division of Yokohama? Yokohama isn't really known as a touring car provider/sponsor???
i think they will using 'ADVAN' brand to sponser the WTCC events,as they posted 'ADVAN' ad broad on track.

ADVAN is a series of the yokohama tire.just like 'potenza' on bridgestone.
they have provided tire of SUPER GT and Super Taikyu cars in Japan,for sure they have sponser some of Guia Race driver in Macau every year(but not for 2005
Old 8 Jul 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1350204)   #7
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kmchow posted "Yokohama isn't really known as a touring car provider/sponsor???"

Of course they are, they have a pedigree of supplying touring cars & sports cars throughout the world.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1350403)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm assuming Yokohama made the WTCC a better sponsorship offer. Or is the F1/Michelin/US Grand Prix fiasco getting out of hand?
Yokohama are a supplier not a sponsor. The contract was put out to tender, both Yoko and Michelin met the technical requirements but Yoko was cheaper. Nothing more to it than that.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1350433)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems like a coincidence that it happened so soon after the USGP, and I'm sure the 8 F1 teams opposing the FIA will be thinking of it in those terms.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1350738)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

Perhaps they sponsor or supply more tires in Asia than in Europe than in NA? It seems they promote the Advan line more than their own company brand. Marketing wise, they seem to be opposite of Michelin. You see more "Michelin" sponsorship than for their "Pilot" line of tires.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1350865)   #11
+ its a Chevy
Rookie

England
London
+ its a Chevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Yokohama are a supplier not a sponsor. The contract was put out to tender, both Yoko and Michelin met the technical requirements but Yoko was cheaper. Nothing more to it than that.
as boots says, it seems a remarkable coincidence that so shortly after the US gp mess the FIA of all people announce the new deal - probably whilst poking their tongues out at Michelin...
Old 9 Jul 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1350963)   #12
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelin tyres are traditionally the best in Touring Car racing, and the safest as well, so there can be only 2 possible reasons for the switch - a) spite after the USGP, and b) trying to boost Asian interest. Hopefully this will ebv the last sinister decision Max will be allowed to make.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1351078)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Wow, so many theories. Compared to the millions spent in F1, Michelin's WTCC contract will be small beer. Do you really think the FIA would actually bother to make such a minor gesture? As for most F1 teams thinking it was a snub to Michelin, I doubt many would have actually noticed, or indeed cared. The tendering process would have taken several months, and would have started long before the US GP.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1351179)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Wow, so many theories. Compared to the millions spent in F1, Michelin's WTCC contract will be small beer. Do you really think the FIA would actually bother to make such a minor gesture? As for most F1 teams thinking it was a snub to Michelin, I doubt many would have actually noticed, or indeed cared. The tendering process would have taken several months, and would have started long before the US GP.
Totally agree.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1356439)   #15
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
I wish they'd taken Dunlops. That would make BTCC and ETCC crossovers so much easier.

it would be a logical step to actually help the competitor and teams but hey thats to dam easy!
Old 15 Jul 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1356450)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
DTC (Danmark) and STCC (and German DPM?) are also using Dunlops.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1356543)   #17
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yokohama isn't really known as a touring car provider/sponsor???
I thought you would have remembered them from their days as the best tyre in the early part of the FIA Class 2/Super Touring days until Michelin took over.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 01:43 (Ref:1356621)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Or perhaps Michelin knew they were getting dumped by the FIA for the WTCC and wanted to get back at them by having a tire malfunction for the upcoming F1 race??

Or perhaps aliens kidnapped the FIA, brainwashed them and made them go with Yokahoma instead?
Old 16 Jul 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1356695)   #19
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard worse stories to how this conculsion came about .....
Old 16 Jul 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1356985)   #20
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
DTC (Danmark) and STCC (and German DPM?) are also using Dunlops.
Dunlop is also used on Finnish Super 2000 series.

-Jamie Hyneman