Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 May 2020, 20:09 (Ref:3975781)   #151
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
There are much worse options than that. And they aren't Orecas.
Old 13 May 2020, 10:30 (Ref:3975890)   #152
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope they do well. They have strong opposition
Old 13 May 2020, 11:03 (Ref:3975894)   #153
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
How long before we get really funky and start adding Renault Spiders like the 1990s?
Don't even start me on that! As it happens, I'm updating my story from 1992 on my website right now. Brought back some memories.....
Attached Thumbnails
1992-022.jpg   1992-080.jpg   1992-081.jpg  

Old 13 May 2020, 13:30 (Ref:3975922)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Feels a bit weird seeing Le Mans cars without roofs. Been so used to seeing all cars having roofs the last decade

Shame no Corvette on the grid, it won’t be quite the same without them. Let’s hope the battle in GT will still be good
Old 13 May 2020, 18:43 (Ref:3975963)   #155
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1992 edition was deffinitely one of worse for an entry list point of view thanks to the FISA, Bernie and all the other that have trialed to kill endurance racing
Old 14 May 2020, 09:22 (Ref:3976064)   #156
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Don't even start me on that! As it happens, I'm updating my story from 1992 on my website right now. Brought back some memories.....
Looking forward to the updated story, while 1992 was a nadir the weird and wonderful grid makeup compensated a little - much better than swarms of identical cars.
Old 14 May 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3976075)   #157
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i was there but to be honest the only cars i have a good memory of from that race was the Atmo 905 Peugeot, it winning makes it easier. But as said there was a great variety of cars there.
Old 14 May 2020, 13:23 (Ref:3976136)   #158
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
But as said there was a great variety of cars there.

Yes, but not enough of them! Only twenty-nine starters and fourteen finishers, plus, iirc, plenty of the "r" word
Old 14 May 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3976187)   #159
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Looking forward to the updated story, while 1992 was a nadir the weird and wonderful grid makeup compensated a little - much better than swarms of identical cars.
It's just finished Ian. It was a woeful grid, but the three Pugs and three Toyotas plus the gorgeous Mazda made up for that - and the dismal weather.....

https://www.aysedasi.co.uk/gallery/1992p/

Moving on to the 1993 update shortly - now I've got the new scanner largely sorted out.
Old 14 May 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3976201)   #160
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's just finished Ian. It was a woeful grid, but the three Pugs and three Toyotas plus the gorgeous Mazda made up for that - and the dismal weather.....

https://www.aysedasi.co.uk/gallery/1992p/

Moving on to the 1993 update shortly - now I've got the new scanner largely sorted out.
I thought the mazda in 1992 was a bit flat in not having that lovely rotary engine
Old 14 May 2020, 21:00 (Ref:3976245)   #161
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But it was a beautiful looking car......
Attached Thumbnails
1992-188.jpg  
Old 14 May 2020, 21:11 (Ref:3976247)   #162
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yes i would agree with that, but certainly at that time i was missing the sound of that rotary engine that over the previous year i had always loved
Old 14 May 2020, 21:19 (Ref:3976249)   #163
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeah, but we had the Toyota TS010's, which in my view, sounded even better......
Old 19 May 2020, 17:03 (Ref:3977183)   #164
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Feels a bit weird seeing Le Mans cars without roofs. Been so used to seeing all cars having roofs the last decade
But there were still open tops at Le Mans just 4 years ago
Old 19 May 2020, 18:16 (Ref:3977195)   #165
S griffin
Veteran

Were there? I don’t remember any, who had it?
Old 19 May 2020, 18:34 (Ref:3977200)   #166
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Murphy Prototypes, Strakka Racing, SRT41 by OAK Racing, Race Performance, Pegasus Racing, G-Drive Racing
Old 19 May 2020, 20:24 (Ref:3977205)   #167
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
LMP2 was open top or coupe until the launch of the spec-regulations in 2017, so the final race for open was 2016 (already mentioned)

LMP1 was open top or coupe until the launch of 2014 regulations, so the final race for open was 2013 (Strakka)

Of course, there were still other open tops in use as late as 2017 elsewhere, the dinosauric Oreca FLM09 Chevrolet in America and over at ASLMS they had the old open top P2s as well CN class still in the spring of 2017

Last edited by Deleted; 19 May 2020 at 20:31.
Old 19 May 2020, 20:28 (Ref:3977206)   #168
S griffin
Veteran

Oh yes I remember now, they were a bit behind LMP2. I prefer the closed cars of LMP1, although the open cars were good while they lasted
Old 19 May 2020, 20:33 (Ref:3977207)   #169
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Oh yes I remember now, they were a bit behind LMP2. I prefer the closed cars of LMP1, although the open cars were good while they lasted
They weren't really behind anything (except maybe Oreca 05), after all it was as late as 2014 as Zytek Z11SN was still easily able to dominate the class

That car and HPD 03 would still have had years left. Courage-Oreca 03R and Oak-Pescarolo-Morgan 01 were clearly falling by the downside in contrast to their newer coupe counterparts but still operational as well as cheaper to run, which is why they were continued to be used

Last edited by Deleted; 19 May 2020 at 20:53.
Old 19 May 2020, 21:04 (Ref:3977212)   #170
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
considering most of downforce of a lmp2 is generated by front splitter, rear wing, airflow tunnels inside and under the car, the only disadvantage of a open lmp was a slight worse drag.... that's in theory at least because was not so unusual to see 03R, zytek or morgan lmp2 with better top speed of the ligier js p2 lmp2 maybe rarely close to 05 top speed.
It's not about if coupè > open, it's about how good is a car.... recall 2010 season where the strakka hpd lmp2 was so insanely competitive that could set qualifying times just some tenths off lola astons and lola rebellion and even beat them in race.
Old 19 May 2020, 21:23 (Ref:3977214)   #171
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
considering most of downforce of a lmp2 is generated by front splitter, rear wing, airflow tunnels inside and under the car, the only disadvantage of a open lmp was a slight worse drag.... that's in theory at least because was not so unusual to see 03R, zytek or morgan lmp2 with better top speed of the ligier js p2 lmp2 maybe rarely close to 05 top speed.
It's not about if coupè > open, it's about how good is a car.... recall 2010 season where the strakka hpd lmp2 was so insanely competitive that could set qualifying times just some tenths off lola astons and lola rebellion and even beat them in race.
That's correct, the top of 2010 LMP2 was easily at the level of bottom LMP1 or even higher. At Le Mans too, not just Hungaroring. But obviously we have to remember that 2010 was still under old regulations, which meant higher power, no pro-am, no cost-cap, no tech freeze

Anyway, even if the open tops would have had worsening drag issues coming into 2017 and even as far as today, the more open regulations meant you could have still risen to the top with A) new EVO package B) different engine C) different tires, perhaps even something unique like Yokohama
Old 20 May 2020, 16:38 (Ref:3977366)   #172
S griffin
Veteran

The LMP2 had it easy in 2010. They had meetings where most of the LMP1s didn’t turn up, but they weren’t far behind at Le Mans. Mind you we were in the open LMES in those days, less rules and all that and Le Mans was different

Maybe the open top cars could make a comeback in LMP2, but it hasn’t suffered without it. The way the rules are it has made it competitive, but we could see some more variety in there or at least make it so that they aren’t completely left behind by the LMP1s.
Old 20 May 2020, 22:20 (Ref:3977429)   #173
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as far can I remember acura/hpd arx-01C lmp2 was something like 825kg >500hp while petrol lmp1 like lolas aston and rebellion/judd were 900kg - 650hp.
Yeah at that time lmp2 wasn't a mandatory pro-am class like is now, but most of LMS lmp2 entries were basically pro-am line up, it was in ALMS that hpd highcroft and porsche rs spyder MMR were basically backed official teams.

Anyway, past seasons aside, it's just arx-01c that was basically an overkilling beast compared to the other lmp2 cars. Funny side of the story is that arx-01c was at the same time conceptually the freshest and the oldest lmp2 around since was made using courage lc75 carbon tub.
Old 20 May 2020, 22:32 (Ref:3977430)   #174
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But it was a beautiful looking car......
Essentially the same car that was the Jaguar XJR-14 a few years prior. A further modified version of that car would then go on to win Le Mans twice.
Old 21 May 2020, 07:11 (Ref:3977459)   #175
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Indeed so, but it never looked better than in the Charge/Renown livery.... (and it looked better with a roof!).