Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2020, 11:39 (Ref:3965965)   #326
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hill was linked to McLaren, Prost and Sauber for 98, before deciding on Jordan
But he also stated that if Arrows could have secured the Mugen engine he would have stayed.
Old 21 Mar 2020, 12:43 (Ref:3965975)   #327
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Wheldon certainly compared well against Button when they were both in karting and FFord together, so no reason why he wouldn’t have performed well in F1
I thought it was BAR and Williams he was linked to?
Interesting that he turned any of it down. Clearly he felt it was better to be at the top in IRL if a top drive wasn't an option in F1.
Old 21 Mar 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3965976)   #328
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bryan Herta was linked to Minardi for 2002 and 03, even tested with them at Donington
Come to think of it, wasn't he one of the 2seater racers at Donny in '02?
Old 21 Mar 2020, 13:00 (Ref:3965982)   #329
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Think he might have been, I think he also tested the actual Minardi that weekend too.

And Wheldon was also linked to BAR, but I think BMW Sauber actually had contract talks
Old 21 Mar 2020, 22:32 (Ref:3966046)   #330
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Tom Kristensen came close to replacing Rosset at Tyrrell after the first few races in 98
Old 22 Mar 2020, 00:17 (Ref:3966056)   #331
S griffin
Veteran

Keke Rosberg was linked to Ferrari for 84
Old 22 Mar 2020, 11:53 (Ref:3966114)   #332
Theunser
Racer

Lotus were looking for a new second driver for 1980.
They tested Elio De Angelis, Jan Lammers, Eddie Cheever, Stephen South and Nigel Mansell.
Other names who were linked with the seat:
Mike Thackwell, Alain Prost and Richard Dallest.
Old 22 Mar 2020, 13:23 (Ref:3966122)   #333
S griffin
Veteran

Williams had a list of three drivers they wanted for the seat in 1978. Jones, Nilsson and Stuck
Old 22 Mar 2020, 13:25 (Ref:3966124)   #334
S griffin
Veteran

I think Andy Wallace was linked to a Benetton drive in 87. I know he tested for them
Old 22 Mar 2020, 17:18 (Ref:3966139)   #335
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
I think Andy Wallace was linked to a Benetton drive in 87. I know he tested for them
And he was also a possibility for Leyton House to drive alongside Capelli in 1988. He tested with the team in 1987(or '88, i can't remember) and in 1990.
Old 22 Mar 2020, 18:30 (Ref:3966147)   #336
S griffin
Veteran

Yes he was test driver for Leyton House in 1990-91
Old 22 Mar 2020, 23:58 (Ref:3966167)   #337
Theunser
Racer

Erik Comas was heavily courted by Eddie Jordan to join his new team for 1991.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3966213)   #338
S griffin
Veteran

When Fittipaldi left McLaren for Coperuscar, they did originally consider Jacky Ickx to replace him
Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:02 (Ref:3966298)   #339
Theunser
Racer

JJ Lehto was one of both Tyrrell's and Pacific's options for 1995.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3966299)   #340
S griffin
Veteran

Candidates to replace Hakkinen in 2002 apart from Kimi were Heidfeld, Villeneuve, Panis, Wurz, Irvine and Button
Old 23 Mar 2020, 18:30 (Ref:3966330)   #341
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
Candidates to replace Hakkinen in 2002 apart from Kimi were Heidfeld, Villeneuve, Panis, Wurz, Irvine and Button
Weren't Ralf and Montoya linked as well?
Old 23 Mar 2020, 21:41 (Ref:3966372)   #342
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
JJ Lehto was one of both Tyrrell's and Pacific's options for 1995.
Shame 94 at Benetton never worked out for him. I think his testing crash took longer to recover from than originally thought
Old 23 Mar 2020, 22:07 (Ref:3966378)   #343
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
Shame 94 at Benetton never worked out for him. I think his testing crash took longer to recover from than originally thought
Yes. It's a shame. Lehto should have had a much more successful F1 career. The other driver who was maybe even more talented than JJ is called Karl Wendlinger.
But he had an injury too and made his comeback too early.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 22:08 (Ref:3966379)   #344
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Weren't Ralf and Montoya linked as well?

Never heard it before, Ralf I think had a long term contract with Williams, don’t know about JPM, I know there was always a question mark since Williams still owned Button, despite him being with Benetton at the time
Old 24 Mar 2020, 11:02 (Ref:3966461)   #345
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
Never heard it before, Ralf I think had a long term contract with Williams, don’t know about JPM, I know there was always a question mark since Williams still owned Button, despite him being with Benetton at the time
Around April-May RSC was linked to Mclaren and Ferrari.
Maybe Montoya was mentioned only for 2003 and '04.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 11:22 (Ref:3966467)   #346
S griffin
Veteran

Senna was linked to Brabham for 86
Old 24 Mar 2020, 23:29 (Ref:3966636)   #347
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Yes. It's a shame. Lehto should have had a much more successful F1 career. The other driver who was maybe even more talented than JJ is called Karl Wendlinger.
But he had an injury too and made his comeback too early.
Lehto was imo better than Wingbender but they were close. Benetton obvs thought the same in comparimg how Schu had also fared against the Austrian when they tested the Finn late in '93 and he blew the other contenders away.
If he hadn't have been injured JJ would have had a good 2-3 years at Enstone and if that went well I could envisage him joining Ferrari, wh he tested for at the end of the 80's.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 23:30 (Ref:3966637)   #348
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Williams had a list of three drivers they wanted for the seat in 1978. Jones, Nilsson and Stuck
Presumably Pryce would have been on that list had he not perished. Although I believe he was more heavily linked to Lotus to partner Andretti.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 23:32 (Ref:3966638)   #349
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Button's contract may well have become irrelevant after Montoya pulled that move on Schu at Interlagos. Frank and Patrick were ecstatic!
Old 25 Mar 2020, 00:28 (Ref:3966642)   #350
S griffin
Veteran

Ronnie Peterson apparently signed or came close to a contract with Shadow in 75