Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Apr 2019, 08:20 (Ref:3900135)   #76
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
The entry lists for all the grids are very impressive. I'm really looking forward to this event.
The 3 big historic race meetings at Spa are all amazing, and the best thing is that they are all different- each has its own appeal!

This first of the 3 can be a bit cold, and snow isn’t out of the question. Or it could be Scorchio, such is the location.....

Thermals, wellies, shorts and sunscreen all packed......
Old 28 Apr 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3900152)   #77
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The 3 big historic race meetings at Spa are all amazing, and the best thing is that they are all different- each has its own appeal!

This first of the 3 can be a bit cold, and snow isn’t out of the question. Or it could be Scorchio, such is the location.....

Thermals, wellies, shorts and sunscreen all packed......
Snow is more than possible at this event, as I remember well!

Can’t believe it was 6 years ago though Mike, the picture that you posted of Lairy Canary brought back some great memories.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3900191)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Snow is more than possible at this event, as I remember well!

Can’t believe it was 6 years ago though Mike, the picture that you posted of Lairy Canary brought back some great memories.
Remember the argument with officials about where to park the truck- during a snow storm! This PA meeting is always hard work, due to the paddock logistics and race times. That year was no exception, but great fun....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 28 Apr 2019 at 12:14.
Old 13 May 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3903466)   #79
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Remember the argument with officials about where to park the truck- during a snow storm! This PA meeting is always hard work, due to the paddock logistics and race times. That year was no exception, but great fun....
So in the end did we find out if spectators can attend on Friday? That is the only day imay be able toattend.
Old 13 May 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3903496)   #80
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
All the info ascertained is on page one.....
Old 13 May 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3903534)   #81
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What I found for you is a pass for the 3 days as Mike said in post #10…
https://www.ticketmaster.be/event/sp...-tickets/33833
Old 14 May 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3903700)   #82
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, it’s 13c and sunny at Spa today, but if the predictions are correct (and who knows in the Ardennes) the weekend isn’t going to be so kind to us! Lots of building work happened and happening, so money being spent.... According to one of the track day drivers, where last weekend’s World Rallycross went onto the circuit it was dirty yesterday, but better today. Good as we’re testing tomorrow......
Old 14 May 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3903761)   #83
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So, it’s 13c and sunny at Spa today, but if the predictions are correct (and who knows in the Ardennes) the weekend isn’t going to be so kind to us! Lots of building work happened and happening, so money being spent.... According to one of the track day drivers, where last weekend’s World Rallycross went onto the circuit it was dirty yesterday, but better today. Good as we’re testing tomorrow......

Mike, looks quite clean on the images from the live webcam. http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/webcam

See you there, I'll be arriving around 2pm on Thurs.
Martin
Old 14 May 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3903774)   #84
8en
Rookie

United Kingdom
South West
8en should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I`m leaving for Spa in the morning and normally print off an entry list before I go. However on Peter Auto website it hasnt been updated for a good few weeks. Can anyone provide me with the latest ones?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15 May 2019, 16:12 (Ref:3903974)   #85
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Odd to see no 512 at Spa this weekend along with the Speed 8.

33 cars for the Endurance Legends is pretty impressive for a new series (race wise).
Old 16 May 2019, 03:58 (Ref:3904069)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8en View Post
Hi,

I`m leaving for Spa in the morning and normally print off an entry list before I go. However on Peter Auto website it hasnt been updated for a good few weeks. Can anyone provide me with the latest ones?

Thanks in advance.
The entry lists on PA website are latest versions and very recently updated. I’ve just checked against last ones sent to competitors.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 16 May 2019 at 04:04. Reason: Problem posting from Spa...
Old 16 May 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3904216)   #87
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
All the starting lists are incredible.

The various grids pretty much cover the whole of sportscar racing from the 1950s until ~2010. Just awesome.

Interesting to see that the Endurance Racing Legends grid has lots of cars from the 1990s whereas the Masters Endurance Legends at Monza was all from post 2000.
Old 17 May 2019, 04:53 (Ref:3904276)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
All the starting lists are incredible.

The various grids pretty much cover the whole of sportscar racing from the 1950s until ~2010. Just awesome.

Interesting to see that the Endurance Racing Legends grid has lots of cars from the 1990s whereas the Masters Endurance Legends at Monza was all from post 2000.
They certainly are some impressive grids, as exampled by the queue for 60s Endurance scrutineering last night- out of the gate! (Each category has own scrut team.) I was on my tod until mid afternoon, but managed to get our car 2nd in line after the family Stephens 356 and in front of Mr Birch’s GT160, get the truck eventually parked for the e/end, plus some tyres fitted for the Chevron. After the rest of the team arrived (some off ‘car shopping’ and some stuck at Heathrow by wildcat Belgian ATC strike ) I made myself a well deserved cuppa.....

The logistics of getting everyone into the circuit/meeting were not helped by Spa running a track day and then track evening that didn’t finish until 8pm. A lot of trucks, including the GpC Avon tyre guys, couldn’t get in behind F1 boxes to start unloading until late last night..... I don’t understand why PA don’t take over the Thursday for themselves and make it a test day. As it was, a lot of this weekend’s entries, including us, were on track earlier in the week.....

One of the improvements happening at the circuit is the old tarmac ‘Safety Academy’ area below the bottom paddock entrance gate is being tarted up, including the installation of lighting and hook-up. Of course, not finished for us, but a generator supplying leccy to all those needing. Hope toilets on the ‘to do’ list as well......

First car on track 0935 for FP, SLR all ready to go.
Old 17 May 2019, 05:22 (Ref:3904278)   #89
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Now raining.....

As usual here, the Belgian scrutineers very much regard it as ‘their patch’, take over and sometimes make the whole process slow and over complicated..... This time, we’ve had a new focus on the use of elastic on shoulder straps (to pull them out of the way when changing drivers). Apparently they will not be legal next year, but it’s been decided we can’t have hem this year either, so they’re all being removed or cut at scrutineering.....
Old 17 May 2019, 08:45 (Ref:3904317)   #90
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Shoulder straps not legal may be its not new. What you describe as over-scrutineering has already been noticed but not only at Spa, Silverstone too. They are focused on "good" things, like FE, homologated foam on the ROPS and stuff. What is questionable is when they introduce themselves into a car when on the track and dont slam the door correctly…

Will! Know what? You are much too fast in the wet… Go on like that!
Old 17 May 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3904352)   #91
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Oops, if I'm right in HTC no less than EIGHT cars had their BLT deleted, probably track limits. One moment I saw De Borman's Capri 3.0 Goup 1,5 in the region of 2'54" now moved to 3'06"7. First Group1 is a Mustang in 3'01". That's fast!
Old 17 May 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3904354)   #92
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post

Will! Know what? You are much too fast in the wet… Go on like that!
We have already started our rain dance for quali in a few hours time!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 17 May 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3904379)   #93
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The start of the 60s qualifying queue, SLR on pole.... Gerard, see who’s right behind!
Attached Thumbnails
76886CC6-38D0-405B-B97D-E781A4717F2A.jpeg  
Old 17 May 2019, 20:06 (Ref:3904399)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The rain dance didn’t work so a dry session. Excellent P8 overall for the Elva, another impressive time from the Stephens 356, and we’re ahead of all the 26Rs and 911s.... Let’s hope FP for CER1 goes as well in the morning!
Old 17 May 2019, 21:08 (Ref:3904411)   #95
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes I see, Mike, he is behind atm. Let him stay like that! The Elva 2'55"5 made me think: wahoo!
Old 18 May 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3904545)   #96
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
36' minutes to go, just after the mandatory pit stop, "the" 26 R is back to the pits. The SLR was third in category and just before the SC jumps first! What a freeking' suspens guys, can't wait for a good result!
The Big Healey pedaled by Hywel Evans/ Smith is impressive, 1 st in category and 11th overall. Many YF, SC's and warnings I see. No less than NINE infractions to pit stop… Go SLR, go!

Last edited by Gerard C; 18 May 2019 at 19:03.
Old 18 May 2019, 19:13 (Ref:3904547)   #97
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I imagine a fantastic battle between the SLR and Eyears/ Twymana's 26R.
Last lap but not least, another 26 R bites SLR's dust! Didn't cross the line, probably won't be classified. Very respectable 3'13"5 for the Stephens family. Congrats! Vivement Dijon as they say…

Last edited by Gerard C; 18 May 2019 at 19:39.
Old 18 May 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3904548)   #98
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another win for Van Riet in Sixties.Think thats at least 3 in a row for this meet now.

Looked like quite a interrupted race judging by the amount of SC and YF.
Old 18 May 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3904564)   #99
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I imagine a fantastic battle between the SLR and Eyears/ Twymana's 26R.
Last lap but not least, another 26 R bites SLR's dust! Didn't cross the line, probably won't be classified. Very respectable 3'13"5 for the Stephens family. Congrats! Vivement Dijon as they say…
Now just about finished supper at the posh do! Not very posh for us as came straight from the race......

Exciting race with several SCs, wet track to start with, oil, cars breaking...

P22 o/a and 2nd in Under 2.5 litre category a good result for the SLR. Bit of drama at the driver change when we found coolant escaping at some rate. Luckily turned out to be top hose (silicone) starting to slip out from under clamp. Few bottles of Evian and refitting sorted it.

First SC shortly after start (which was also behind SC) caused by Daytona Coupe and E Type crashes. Latter very much shorter rear end after, and Cobra shorter front end.... Mid race under SC the Shapecraft Elan rear ended another 26R, which was a bit embarrassing for someone
Old 19 May 2019, 01:45 (Ref:3904590)   #100
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike as you can guess, I know people from the Shapecraft too. Let them do, its a foreign affair, dont mind those people. I already had hard words with the owner and his long term team mate preparer is famous for selling cars with arranged chassis numbers and/or bent cars. All in all birds of a feather… Who is the under 2.5 litre category winner then, didn't see that?