Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Mar 2024, 07:38 (Ref:4203098)   #51
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My ideas for improving it:

- stop making events just for rich people to have play things
- use tracks which can host races properly
- have consequences (ie, points) on stake, not prize money for people who are already millionaires

This weekend could've had another race somewhere else. Instead we had this.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 11:52 (Ref:4203138)   #52
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I am not over keen on having massive wealth shoved down my throat at a place like this, i saw the entry requirements for fans, no coolers, I mean what the hell is this!

It is basically like an exclusive golf club buying a series with an event, that means nothing apart from money

At least with f1 they buy a race for their money not a gimmick. it is very erm American.

And the format did not really work did it.
Are you new to racing? Cause you seem to whinge and cry over things that are blatantly obvious. What do you think most of the large houses are, homes for the poor?? Damn, you literally DID NOT HAVE TO WATCH and prove you didn't care
Old 28 Mar 2024, 11:52 (Ref:4203139)   #53
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
My ideas for improving it:

- stop making events just for rich people to have play things
- use tracks which can host races properly
- have consequences (ie, points) on stake, not prize money for people who are already millionaires

This weekend could've had another race somewhere else. Instead we had this.
For most of the field 125-500k makes a HUGE difference in their budget
Old 28 Mar 2024, 14:17 (Ref:4203159)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
For most of the field 125-500k makes a HUGE difference in their budget
Most of the field aren't going to win though.

This was a marketing attempt for rich people to have a play thing by giving out a cash prize to another rich person. It'd have been better as a regular race in an actually interesting venue.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 14:53 (Ref:4203163)   #55
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Everyone made more on that race than anything outside of the 500. Not defending it as we all knew what it would be and they have run there in the past so tire wear issues were known. It's fine for testing but not conducive to racing.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 15:34 (Ref:4203169)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Most of the field aren't going to win though.

This was a marketing attempt for rich people to have a play thing by giving out a cash prize to another rich person. It'd have been better as a regular race in an actually interesting venue.

It was a marketing attempt to attract rich people who are interested in motorsports, as potential investors/sponsors for IndyCar.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 17:22 (Ref:4203182)   #57
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the extended highlights reel on youtube, I can say it felt a bit odd to see all of these houses instead of cheering fans in the stands. From that video, you did not get any impression on whether the attendants of the event were happy with it or not, as they may or may not have watched from their own private balconies. They say there were some tickets sold to fans. Wherever they may have been beside the track, they sure weren't visible in the footage. Did they have a good experience? Is it worth attending for the racing only, or rather for the business-to-business only?

From the video, I was not too fond of the heat format. If they go there again, I feel they should have a real race instead where everybody can show their craft. With this format and on a circuit as technical as this one, chances are very high a polesitter wins it when he gets a clean start.

I don't know what to think of the circuit yet. Does it provide good racing? Is it better than the current Detroit downtown layout? I hope it is because I still have not seen that one.

There seem to be some serious IndyCar aficionados among Thermal Club's residents, otherwise they would not have bothered about getting a race to their track. For this viewer from abroad, it is the same than watching footage from a real racetrack that is also too far away to attend. Are there better tracks out there in the US that they could race at instead? Sure, but as long as IndyCar cannot get those on their calendar (How about COTA?), Thermal does not take away a spot from anywhere else.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 20:28 (Ref:4203197)   #58
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It was a marketing attempt to attract rich people who are interested in motorsports, as potential investors/sponsors for IndyCar.
That. Exactly why most of the houses were actually set up as hosting sites for businesses and pressing the flesh meetings. It's just the roped off areas of Indy races but without the riffraff allowed in.

Pointless idea in terms of the advertising and marketing of the event, especially the Million Dollar whatever it was name when it was only ever 500k to the winner and 500k to the land owner associated with that driver but they dropped that part. And the no change in prize money after 6th I think it was meant everyone settled in with a few laps left and just rode it out
Old 28 Mar 2024, 22:36 (Ref:4203210)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just watching some of the racing now. Track looks as good as most in Indycar. Tires and fuel (Fittipaldi!) are there all the time. Very funny with Herta. The comedyness in the first half made the second half.

Although it is certainly more much when you don’t have to worry about the tires. but then I wasn’t trying to win a race.

And Stingy destroyed Dixon. Not that I am surprised.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 05:07 (Ref:4203238)   #60
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

And Stingy destroyed Dixon. Not that I am surprised.

Highlight of the race, but as you say totally expected.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 09:25 (Ref:4203253)   #61
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Are you new to racing? Cause you seem to whinge and cry over things that are blatantly obvious. What do you think most of the large houses are, homes for the poor?? Damn, you literally DID NOT HAVE TO WATCH and prove you didn't care
AS I said I do not really like having massive wealth rammed down my throat, I am aware it is how sport is backed but I do not really think hosting events is the best way to do this, some like me will be repelled, I would rather see the money from these people just on cars and see them waddling around venues at times with their 100 grand cosmetic surgeoned bird or whatever.

I was not aware this event was happening for your information I do not follow this series closely, I was flicking through channels and saw Indycar on so watched about half an hour before turning off after realising it was just an exclusive club for rich people.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 11:57 (Ref:4203271)   #62
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
well don't watch Monaco then
Old 29 Mar 2024, 12:50 (Ref:4203279)   #63
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
General admission at Monaco for 2 days is around $200.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 13:12 (Ref:4203284)   #64
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
But the folks around it make the "wealth" at Thermal look pathetic. EVERY yacht there is worth more than any property around Thermal
Old 29 Mar 2024, 14:05 (Ref:4203301)   #65
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Agreed - Monaco is disgusting in that regard. But despite this it's still accessible to regular people - and is part of a world championship. And is a unique challenge that F1 doesn't get anywhere else. It has some upsides.

I'm not seeing the upsides of Thermal.
Old 30 Mar 2024, 08:55 (Ref:4203385)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It must be remembered, Thermal was not a regular IndyCar race. After last year's testing session there, it was decided to add a ''race'' to this year's testing session. The purpose of which was to attract potential investors and sponsors. I also think it was an attempt to plug the gap in the calendar between St. Pete and Long Beach, which isn't until April 21st.
Old 30 Mar 2024, 12:42 (Ref:4203390)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So basically an add, not a replacement.
Old 30 Mar 2024, 15:33 (Ref:4203399)   #68
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What would you change about the format?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
God knows how you change the tyre saving issue other than giving everyone a new set for the last 10 laps
My proposal:
  • Three stages
  • No changes in the first break
  • Full stop on the second break
  • The starting grid for the last stage would be decided by the aggregate time of the first two stages.
Therefore, drivers would go at full speed throughout the race.