Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:40 (Ref:560637)   #1
fastracer
Racer

United States
Irvine, California, USA
fastracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What could have been...

From F1-live:
"Today saw possibly the first time ever that Minardi was potentially in a genuine, race-winning position,” added Paul Stoddart. “Many people may laugh, but only those of us within the team will ever know the truth. We had the strategy, but not the luck.”
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:41 (Ref:560643)   #2
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hahahah I seriously doubt that!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:42 (Ref:560649)   #3
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just what planet is Stoddart from?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:42 (Ref:560650)   #4
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stoddart's gone senile..already. Cool! Now head for Florida Paul and let Giancarlo take over again.

Last edited by Mania; 6 Apr 2003 at 20:42.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:48 (Ref:560673)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, I don't think so
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:54 (Ref:560701)   #6
Greg Cummins
Rookie

Greg Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
talking it up for the sponsors maybe? Seriously tho, I'd love to see a Minardi in a race-winning position. And who knows, if the Minardis can stay on track, and we have a race of mid markers (the big teams go out like most of the drivers did today) then it is entirely possible that they could get a podium. I've been watching F1 since 1989 (and sporadically as a kid before then) and don't think the field has been as competitive. Thoughts?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 21:08 (Ref:560743)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jos was ahead of Giancarlo when he spun(he had just been overtaken by Kimi) and was on a NONE stop strategy..................
Old 6 Apr 2003, 21:10 (Ref:560749)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stoddy did say to look out for the Minardis at 3/4 distance..

Shame they didn't last!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 21:13 (Ref:560755)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: What could have been...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoddart
...people may laugh...
Old 6 Apr 2003, 22:01 (Ref:560854)   #10
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope dies last. I am not laughing at him.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 02:37 (Ref:561077)   #11
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This Says It All

Minardi Could Have Won!!!
From Crash.net:

Quote:
A combination of luck, clever strategy and atrocious weather conditions saw the European Minardi Cosworth team contemplating the very real possibility of a podium finish in the treacherous Brazilian Grand Prix, but any hopes the Faenza squad may have had evaporated when Justin Wilson and Jos Verstappen were both caught out by standing water at turn three. Today saw possibly the first time ever that Minardi was potentially in a genuine, race-winning position," team boss Paul Stoddart insisted, "Many people may laugh, but only those of us within the team will ever know the truth. We had the strategy, but not the luck." There was drama before the start in the Minardi garage, when Verstappen encountered a problem with his car on the formation lap and was rapidly switched to the spare chassis. This meant the he had to start from the pit-lane but, as the car was on wet suspension settings and carrying a full fuel load, a potential 'negative' was turned into a 'positive', as the race start behind the safety car meant that Verstappen was quickly able to catch up with the field. With sufficient fuel on board to run non-stop in the race given a number of safety car interventions, the Dutchman had climbed to sixth place just before sliding off the slick track. The track conditions in today's race were very, very difficult and, of course, I'm extremely disappointed not to have finished today, especially when we don't have so many opportunities to score points," Verstappen lamented, "This was definitely a race where there was an excellent possibility. When Raikkonen passed me in Turn One, I was running behind him in the spray with virtually no vision. The car just spun very quickly two corners later. I feel extremely sorry for Paul and the whole team, but that's life and that's racing. Wilson, by comparison, was on a one-stop strategy for fuel and tyres and, after yet another storming start, had battled his way up to an excellent twelfth place before his incident. He, too, looked to have been on his way to a points finish before being caught out by the unpredictable conditions as water poured across the track. I'm gutted," the British rookie said, "I was just caught out by the rivers running down the grass and across the track. They never seemed to be in the same place on two consecutive laps. On the lap I spun, I had got through the first river, but then aquaplaned off on the second one. It's a huge disappointment, because we were definitely on for a strong finish today.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 03:11 (Ref:561090)   #12
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know it is a sign that the end of the world is near when Minardi might have won a Grand Prix. The Four Horsemen shall bring destruction on the backs of black colored beasts called, Minardi's.......
Old 7 Apr 2003, 03:17 (Ref:561094)   #13
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Stoddart must be out of his mind if he thinks full fuel load and non-stop strategy would win him the GP!

Frentzen adopted the exact same strategy...started from the pit stop, wet race setup and didn't pit for any change of tyres or fuel too and was in a more superior car than the Minardi....but only managed 5th placing.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 08:05 (Ref:561163)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
merged- two identical threads
Old 7 Apr 2003, 08:16 (Ref:561174)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Verstappen was 8th when he retired, and considering the number of cars in front, he could have scored a point or two. But that all becomes 'What if' due to Jos deciding to throw his car off the circuit as well!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 09:56 (Ref:561287)   #16
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see what he means, but, c'mon, be serious, this is Jos! Did any of us seriously think he'd get it home in those conditions?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 13:14 (Ref:561588)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And we all saw Fisichella's speed in those closing laps. Does anyone actually believe Jos could have held him (let alone Raikkonen, Coulthard, Alonso, Webber, Frentzen, Trulli, Villeneuve and Ralf) off?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 13:53 (Ref:561648)   #18
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Fisi's engine blow up as soon as he parked? If so then he would have retired long before the end of the race (had it been run for the full length)
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 7 Apr 2003, 14:07 (Ref:561666)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So many people could have won - but Jos wasn't really one of them.

Montoya was looking very strong, and if Ralf's fuel was anything to go by the Wiliams strategy could easily have put him on the top step. Both McLarens could have made similar claims. Even Button said that his BAR was fuelled to he finish when he went off, and at the time he was ahead of Kimi, on the superior (in the drying conditions) Bridgestones... And then you've got the Ferraris who were both capable of winning the race, especially considering the tyre situation.

The breaks went Kimi's way - luck is an important factor in a championship challenge and its another factor playing Kimi's way this year.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 14:14 (Ref:561678)   #20
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it as a description of the race itself more than a statement of fact
Old 7 Apr 2003, 14:17 (Ref:561681)   #21
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Frentzen was building up speed same as Fisi. Verstappen would have been in the same boat. Why? Fuel was being chewed up and the bridgestones were lasting better with the drying line. Sure it would have been lucky but it's actually not that stupid.

Shoot, supposedly the 2nd slowest car took out second and could well have gone on to first depending on how fast the michelins died in the continually drying conditions.

I really thought Fisi, HHF and Jaques were in top positions just because they were there, had enough horsepower and the right tyres for the final stint. If Verstappen was there he'd have struggled to beat them but who knows.

And gee, verstappen binned it. yep. He's an amatuer. Just like Schumacher. Montoya. Pizzonia. Button. Wilson. Webber. Yeah, a full third of the grid are a bunch of amatuers. (Webber got lucky in that he somehow caught it.)

Fisi's car setting fire like that happens after the cars stop suddenly time to time. Shoot, the clutch on it wore out just doing parking manouvers at Sepang.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.