Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Nov 2002, 07:29 (Ref:421202)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Daimler Chrysler buys Brooklands

According to weekend reports, Daimler Chrysler has bought Brooklands in a £5M deal.

They plan to turn the site into a Mercedes brand centre, displaying the history of Mercedes, run Brooklands museum tours and test drive cars on a new track.

Geoff Brady, MD for Daimler assures us that they are working with relevant bodies, including English Heritage, to preserve the "rich history of Brooklands".
Old 4 Nov 2002, 08:12 (Ref:421215)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has TimD regained conciousness yet?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 08:15 (Ref:421217)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was on the cards.

So I haven't had to pick myself up off the floor this time. I'd be interested to know just how much area they've bought, as there's a lot of land that was at risk still, even if the remaining snippets of banking are now protected by a preservation order.

Let's see what the Brooklands Society has to say about it. Hopefully Daimler Chrysler will be a better steward of the place than the vandals employed by Gallaghers, Vickers and the Prudential.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 08:23 (Ref:421223)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who owns Bentley nowadays?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 09:20 (Ref:421249)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TimD

I believe they have bought 150 acres of site. Don't know if this constitutes the whole, but it sounds substantial.

David - VW/Audi own Bentley.

ST

Last edited by Super Tourer; 4 Nov 2002 at 09:21.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 10:32 (Ref:421277)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This could be great or terrible, I can just picture diamler throwing up a huge ultra modern facility. I guess theyve bought the section that runs behing the warehouses, the warehouses themselves the runway the start of the members banking and the grassy area by the river, I doubt theyve bought the museum or tescos, or even the kart track.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 12:44 (Ref:421343)   #7
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For 5million I doubt that Merc have brought much at all!
on balance I think this could good news, not as good as say Bentley buying it but it could be worse.
Merc own a slice of Mclaren and now Brooklands, maybe with the help of some very big silencers it will be the new Mclaren test track!
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:54 (Ref:421446)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Don't forget that McLaren also own Lydden Hill near Dover, although they insist (and so does Dover Council) that no testing takes place there either.

On balance it would appear to be good news for Brooklands and I can only hope the remaining parts of the banked circuit are preserved for future generations.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:02 (Ref:421450)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
McLaren are currently putting the finishing touches to their new HQ which is all of 3 miles from Brooklands. One of the things they will be doing at their new factory is building the new Mercedes 'supercar' so it would seem to make sense to have somewhere closeby to test this. However, apart from McLaren themselves owning Lydden, they have previously used Dunsfold - now home to BBC's Top Gear - and the Transport Research Lab's test track which is also just a handful of miles away. Besides there are some very powerful people around here who I am sure would object to any plans of this nature

150 acres will make very little difference anyway - unless it was 150 acres of the more sensitive areas of the site.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:04 (Ref:421451)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Craig, I thought that Lydden is where the new supercar is to be built by McLaren. Ron Denis himself was down there last week for a meeting with Dover District Council Planning Department.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:08 (Ref:421452)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That's not what was originally stated when the planning application went in. Part of the reason that this was granted was the number of jobs that it would create around here. It was a close run thing that permission was granted and many would say that the whole reason that the company bought Lydden was as a threat to the local council that they would not be afraid to relocate if they didn't get permission. The problem ? They wanted to build on green belt land. What a shame they didn't think of building at Brooklands... I'm sure it would have suited all parties down to the ground.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:16 (Ref:421455)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well I hear that McLaren have asked for a 2 year delay to the building at Lydden.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:56 (Ref:421477)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Forgive me for sounding out of touch, but what building at Lydden ?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:01 (Ref:421486)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
One of the reasons for a possible end of racing at Lydden are McLarens plans to build a factory beside the circuit in which the new Mercedes supercar will be built. There has been a lot of negotiating between McLaren and Dover District Council over planning consent and the implications of the factory on the race circuit. Hence my comments about the new car being built in Kent by McLaren.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:08 (Ref:421493)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Ah... sorry I just didn't connect as I presumed all that had been shelved way back when the permission was granted to build on Mizens Farm!

Anyway, apologies for deviating from Brooklands...
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:12 (Ref:421498)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
No problem...
Old 4 Nov 2002, 20:50 (Ref:421703)   #17
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe one for Tim, but have Merc a good history at Brooklands ? I would guess that they have being among the older of the car makers. Is there a BIG win that could be played on.

I am quite pleased that it has gone to a motor company as there is a good chance that they will use it to play on their past. Do Merc own any UK brands that won or linked with Brooklands. A V Roe or other aircraft ? It could be a lot lot worse.

Brooklands is more than a race circuit, it has a very famous aviation history as well, in fact so well, half the banking was removed so aircraft could take off during the war. The beginings of UK aviation, at the time very close with fast cars, were at Brooklands as well.

Simon
Old 5 Nov 2002, 09:03 (Ref:422001)   #18
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be that the only connection between Merc and brooklands being that Mercerdes powered planes would have tried to bomb it 70 odd years ago!

Mercerdes cars did race at Brooklands, and have many wins to there name.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 22:16 (Ref:424854)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So what we have concluded then is that merc now own a chunk of brooklands, plan to build a factory and test track maybe (I'm sure they wouldn't approve on st.georges hill!) and mclaren own lydden with plans to build a factory and test track (I'm sure they wouldn't approve in wotton!). does anyone have the foggiest what is going on?
Old 11 Nov 2002, 08:15 (Ref:426208)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
SS McLaren don't plan a test track at Lydden. One of the reasons for the uncertainty about the future of racing at Lydden is that McLaren have indicated that when the factory is built they will close the circuit. At least, thats how I understand it?
Old 11 Nov 2002, 22:43 (Ref:426686)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I heard the factory would be alongside and the circuit would be used for car development and testing after they had extended it. I think its clear (or at least it is to me) that there needs to be a review of motorsport in the south east (Kent, surrey, sussex) venues exact situations - not rumours, costs, potential problems, potential venues. Recently I've heard rumours regarding Crystal Palace, Brooklands, Brands and Lydden and each of these rumours has another claiming the downfall of the venue.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 08:27 (Ref:426882)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree especially as the South East is one of the most highly populated areas of the country and should be able to support motor racing with enough spectators, not forgetting it's proximity to mainland Europe as well.

I think we have to forget Crystal Palace as a venue for anything other than the very occasional sprint as Bromley council really don't seem at all keen to grant a licence. Brands Hatch has been the source of rumours for many years and more so now there are financial difficulties at Octagon. The circuit bordering the M20 at Paddock Hill Bend makes it a very attractive proposition for developers looking to build something like a freight distribution centre close to the Channel Tunnel. The latest rumour there was that Bernie himself had tried to buy the circuit although who knows what he would do with it if it were true!

As for Lydden, as I said, the last information was that one the factory was built, racing would stop which is why there has been very little development over the past few years. I was told by 'someone in the know' that McLaren have asked Dover District Council for a two year delay to the factory building program.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 19:45 (Ref:427236)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Crystal Palace - just keep an eye on the hill - thats all I'm saying
Old 16 Jan 2003, 13:01 (Ref:476162)   #24
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The current Motor Sport (magazine)has a photo of Brooklands, marked with the area Mercedes wish to buy and develop. Looks like a section through the middle of the circuit including parts of both banked bends, the runway and kart track.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:31 (Ref:646994)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Update for those of you that followed this story:From www.pitpass.com

http://www.pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=6599