Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Apr 2004, 15:56 (Ref:944304)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Follow-Up on Taurus Lola Plans

A thread titled "Taurus Lola Questions" seems to have outgrown it's shelf life on the forum, so I wanted to raise one issue that I hope does not fall through the cracks....

Shrotly after the announcement of the Taurus Lola Turbo-Diesel (right after Sebring), someone on the Forum hinted that after Le Mans, one of the Taurus Cars would campaign in LMES, and the other in the ALMS....

and that the team had made arrangements here in North America for use of a race shop somewhere to use as a base of operations for the ALMS effort....

My Questions:

1. Do we know if this is still in the Taurus plans, especially since they are now added to the "Monza List" and could conceivable campaign the full LMES season with both cars????

2. If Taurus still plans to have one car in each Series, do we know which car will race in which Series?

2a. If it will happen, do we know when to possibly expect a Taurus entry (which ALMS race will they make their "debut")?

3. If we do not know the answer to #2, is there any time in the near future (a general idea of a time line -- mid-May? Le Mans Test Days?)that we should look forward to finding out something?

I obviously don't want anyone to "jump the gun" or break an embargo if Taurus has privately shared their plans on this issue....

But if "the word in the paddocks" or a basic "this is very likely" type of info is available, if anyone could share this with us, or give us a general update, I'd appreciate it....

Even if it is a "reliable rumor"....I just want to know if this one should still be on our radar screens...

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:30 (Ref:944353)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
According to Ian Dawson of Taurus, quoted on DSC this afternoon, Taurus are 'still evaluating our programme in the ALMS, but it will more than likely be with the diesel-powered car, in either the whole ALMS or selected events. Larry Oberto will be driving for us'

From that, it sounds as if they're looking at one car in each series, (they've got 2- the diesel and a Judd- entered for Monza, but I think they've got 3 Lolas now?)

More news apparently expected later this week
Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:32 (Ref:944356)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, KA!!!

I can only hope that they will be at Mid-Ohio!!!!!

I want to see and HEAR that Turbo-Diesel in person!!!!

Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:57 (Ref:944381)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
( I think they've got 3 Lolas now?)

More news apparently expected later this week
They do indeed have three Lolas - their original car and both ex Intersport cars.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 23:34 (Ref:944834)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Any speculation as to why the diesel would come here? Less competition? It seems like the diesel's marketing potential is more in Europe.

Also, any hope to see Citgo continue the involvement established at Sebring, and that Milka get some rides? Seems like they have a tremendous potential audiance in ALMS, and some value for the bucks.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 06:04 (Ref:945015)   #6
BMC
Rookie

BMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the ALMS is interesting for Taurus because Caterpillar is an american company and it could be that they want to see the car racing in america.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 12:02 (Ref:945358)   #7
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they really sure to race in America. I mean, the bulk of the diesel market is in Europe (oh why, oh why, oh why ). Maybe race the petrol engined lola (is there still one though) in America and race the diesel in Europe? (that is, if they have funds)

Last edited by 917Addicted; 20 Apr 2004 at 12:05.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 13:25 (Ref:945493)   #8
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the team boss says that they are most likely to run the diesel in the alms and the judd in the lmes, but they are evaluating which races each engine type will have an advantage at, so we could probably see both at sometime throughout the year
Old 20 Apr 2004, 13:36 (Ref:945506)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I just hope that they can make it to Mid-Ohio....

But it's a two-week turn-around from Le Mans....

They might wait until Lime Rock....

Which means BillNChristy will enjoy a big debut here in North America, and I will proabably miss out on it...

Old 20 Apr 2004, 13:51 (Ref:945525)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
My take on it...

On paper anyway, the Judd 4.0 L engine doesn't have as much torque as other engine options that teams compete with....and in North America, this engine has not been as competitive as it has been in Europe...

It takes good torque to get out of the corners and get to the next set of turns on the tighter, hig-downforce circuits her in North America....

The Judd 5.0 L engine was created to provide more torque as a way to possibly serve potential customers in North America with an engine that would be better-suited to the types of tracks we have over here...

That Turbo-Diesel will have torque to spare....and might be better suited to thir circuits here than it owuld be to the European courses which seem to have longer straights...

Just my thoughts...feel free to disagree...

Old 20 Apr 2004, 14:21 (Ref:945556)   #11
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
definitely well stated tim, i totally agree