Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Apr 2006, 18:43 (Ref:1597665)   #76
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I remember that one, missed the coverage of the race that the Beeb apparently showed that year (1984 International Trophy support race) but it wasa helluva shunt.

I might have referred to it earlier but Peter Lovett tried to overtake Andy Rouse and accidentally helped poor Rouse off to the right, into the pit wall - the unsighted Phil Dowsett then clattered into the stricken Rover.

How's that?

Rouse's car was nearly written off and I think they only slavaged the engine and built a new rolling chassis!
It was a whopper alright. Funny if you ever ask people of their Grandstand memories, that piece always sticks out.

Speaking of Group A SD1 crashes, I got my dad the 1986 [I think ?] James Hardie 1000 book for Christmas one year in the 1980s and there's quite a lot of detail about Tim Slako's shunt with that pink one. They've got plenty of images detailing the shunt being 'straightened out' by hydraulic pullers at somewhere nearby the circuit [a panel beater ?]. Not the best feature to have on your car in the event you were trying to sell it I'm sure.
Old 30 Apr 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1597999)   #77
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TWR #011 is still for sale Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 May 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1598646)   #78
J200SPT
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
J200SPT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I believe Dave Mepham is running an ex-Leach, ex-Chatfield SD1 in Classic Thunder...he's had it for ages and it goes well when it runs...will have a word and see what he can confirm..

JWW
Old 5 May 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1601109)   #79
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good one, but ex Leech/Ex Chatfield?

Have been trying to work that one out - maybe Brian bought it off Dennis?

Yes, see what you can find out and come back!

I've got to get a scanner plugged into my box as found a host of SD1 pics from mid 80's, lots of paddock shots of TWR, Rouse and Linden cars.
Old 5 May 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1601276)   #80
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Going back to the two Belgian cars that ran at Spa 88 mentioned early in the thread- Dave Carvell confirmed that the blue & yellow 'Eurodefi' car was the ex-Bathurst one he'd driven in the 87 BTCC, and that the other was the 86 TT winner.

Just been looking at the latest updates on racingsportscars.com and found this-
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-08-02-013.jpg

Bovy/Maillien/Bertinchamps at Spa in 87.

So is this the TT winner sold to Belgium and appearing at Spa in 87 and 88??
Old 5 May 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1601409)   #81
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes, that picture surely suggests an ex TWR car, highly likely the TT winner - they must've bought those red alloys with it as i'm sure TWR ran those wheels at the Brands GP support race and the TT?

I'm gonna post this on the mustang thread, but having viewed the '83 ETCC review that I received last night, a plain white TWR car ran at Donington 500 - I wonder if that later became a Sanyo car or the Barclay one or something?

Oh and what a joy seeing Soperman opposite locking beautifully around the old Stowe, and the Lovett v Weaver battle over the last 20 laps - absolutely brilliant stuff and was a portent of the first part of the following season's BTCC battles between them methinks?!

And BTW, that Dave Cook Mustang was right up there at the end of the year in Vince Woodman's hands!!

Last edited by chunterer; 17 Jan 2012 at 11:43.
Old 23 May 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1617222)   #82
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Just been reading the thread on the British GT meeting last weekend, followed the link to rdjones' photos and found something very interesting splashing around in one of the support races (presumably Heritage GT or whatever it's called)-

http://www.rdj-pics.co.uk/Photos/200...on/index2.html

http://www.rdj-pics.co.uk/Photos/200.../F3GTDP60.html

http://www.rdj-pics.co.uk/Photos/200.../F3GTDP56.html

Anyone know who it is, and which car? (assuming it's an original Group A car, and not a very nice replica)
Old 23 May 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1617257)   #83
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Oh what a loverley pic!!

Thanks for posting this KA

Hmmm. looks original to me?

If anyone was trackside and heard it that would also give us a good clue, the faster the rpm, the more likely it is an original Grp A car!!
Old 23 May 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1617260)   #84
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Chap called Charles Williams is listed as driver on MST timimgs site?
Old 29 May 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1622312)   #85
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave Mepham's Rover is the Trevor Panter/Colin CordyThundersaloon (their TS debut 1989) previously owned by Jim Mensley. AFAIK Jim first raced the car mid 85 in Mod Saloons and ATAC before using it in TS for 86 and 87. This car is believed to be ex-Leech.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1624659)   #86
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

That's interesting because i thought Denis kept his Vitesse right up until his crump at Thruxton in '88 and then sold it at the end of the year after rebuild?

Mind you that was probably a different car to his original Grp 1 car that I think he uprated to Grp A spec?

Anyone know of his exploits who can confirm?? !!!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1627385)   #87
Charlie123
Rookie

Charlie123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TWR Bastos Rover

Charles Williams here, you'll be pleased to know our Rover you saw at Donington wasn't a replica!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1627418)   #88
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie123
Charles Williams here, you'll be pleased to know our Rover you saw at Donington wasn't a replica!
Hello Charles and welcome to the thread forum!

Fabulous, could you please tell us bit more about it's history?
Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1627567)   #89
Charlie123
Rookie

This is where we've got with regards to the history of the car so far. . It started life as chassis 17 before Tom Walkinshaw crashed it at Zandvoort. Dennis Leech then reshelled the car. Most recently Ken Clarke who was one of the TWR mechanics at the time has given it a total rebuild and restoration; and then we step in. . . My father bought it last year, and we're competing in a few races in the Heritage Touring Cars. We took it to Spa a month or so ago as well, where Jeff Allum's son informed us that Jeff would be bringing his TWR Rover out for a jolly at some point. . so there's the whereabouts of another of them.

In conclusion, our Rover isn't the most original as it was reshelled, but it is basically the same car with all the original parts attached, and damn good fun!
Old 9 Jun 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1630613)   #90
Charlie123
Rookie

Anyone else know any information on our car? We're only piecing info together from what we've been told so any help would be appreciated. .
Old 15 Jun 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1634913)   #91
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
terryobeirne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SD1 Gp A

I was offered a complete but dilapidated GpA SD1 in Adelaide (Sth Australia) about 4 years ago. I recall it was the ex Tim Slako car that raced bathurst several years. if thats is so, then it was probabaly an ex Walkinsahw BTCC car. I believe it was broekn up for parts not long after this. if anyone wants more info, I could recontact the seller.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1634919)   #92
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryobeirne
I was offered a complete but dilapidated GpA SD1 in Adelaide (Sth Australia) about 4 years ago. I recall it was the ex Tim Slako car that raced bathurst several years. if thats is so, then it was probabaly an ex Walkinsahw BTCC car. I believe it was broekn up for parts not long after this. if anyone wants more info, I could recontact the seller.
That's interesting Terry, but the general consensus was that Tim's 'Pink' car was an ex Andy Rouse Engineering prepared car that may have been owned/driven by Charles Sawyer-Hoare in 1983/84?
Old 15 Jun 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1634920)   #93
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryobeirne
If it was the pink Tim Slako car, then it was definitely ex-BTCC, but I think it's origins were with Andy Rouse (Charles-Sawyer-Hoare's 1983/4 car I think), rather than Walkinshaw. I vaguely remember it being advertised for sale in a couple of UK car magazines (maybe Autosport or one of the various classic car mags) a few years back- if it has been broken up since, that's a pity
Old 15 Jun 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1634921)   #94
KA
Veteran

Quote:
That's interesting Terry, but the general consensus was that Tim's 'Pink' car was an ex Andy Rouse Engineering prepared car that may have been owned/driven by Charles Sawyer-Hoare in 1983/84?
you just beat me to it....!
Old 15 Jun 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1634926)   #95
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

KA we any the wiser about the Williams' Bastos car? The guys have been great is giving so much info but they clearly need some further input on it's history pre 'shunt'.

The Leech link about re-shelling interests me though. Could it be that this car is in fact the car he ran in 1988, then crumped heavily and has since passed through some others hands before having the original livery restored on it?
Old 15 Jun 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1634932)   #96
KA
Veteran

Quote:

KA we any the wiser about the Williams' Bastos car? The guys have been great is giving so much info but they clearly need some further input on it's history pre 'shunt'.

The Leech link about re-shelling interests me though. Could it be that this car is in fact the car he ran in 1988, then crumped heavily and has since passed through some others hands before having the original livery restored on it?
It really needs someone who knows the history of the individual TWR chassis- I'm not bad at knowing 'when, where and who' in terms of Rover (and other Group A) appearances, but usually haven't got a clue about the individual chassis and their histories, other than odd bits I've read here and there.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1635115)   #97
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
It really needs someone who knows the history of the individual TWR chassis- I'm not bad at knowing 'when, where and who' in terms of Rover (and other Group A) appearances, but usually haven't got a clue about the individual chassis and their histories, other than odd bits I've read here and there.
Yep I know exactly what you mean KA.

I seem to have some kind of photographic memory for the 80's/90's Grp A era which i couldn't replicate for my studies at the time and it used to drive my parents bezerk!

This was a period where I couldn't get enough of the sport across many different levels. It's not quite the same now, possibly because i no longer subscribe to the comics or get to anywhere near as many meetings.

Pressures of adulthood I guess?

To summarise where we're upto for the benefit of newcomers who might not fancy wading back though the thread, I would like us to verify the total number of TWR cars built, who raced them and where and what happened to them afterwards, as well as the numerous private cars that were dotted about....
Old 24 Jun 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1640223)   #98
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Right John mentioned in the bimmer thread it might be nice to start to try and pin down chassis numbers relative to owners/drivers.

Well we can start with TWR and so far we know or strongly assume the following which will need further verifying where possible everyone!!

I still have a slight niggle that the chassis numbers were Austin Rover issues so therefore may not be limited to just TWR?

But for the moment we can only assume they are!

TWR Rover Vitesse Chassis:
(drivers that year not necessarily specific to a car)

001 Sanyo BTCC Jeff Allam?
002 Sanyo BTCC Peter Lovett
003 Hepolite BTCC Steve Soper
plus a white car at Donington 500 which may have been one of above pre livery or the later Barclay ETCC car?) it might throw subsequent numbers out of kilt!! (drivers Lovett, Joosen TBC) May have been the test hack and devoid of a chassis number?

004 Sanyo BTCC Tony Pond? (one of Bathurst cars and later driven by David Carvell in 1987 BTCC)
005 Sanyo BTCC Lovett/Jean-Louis Schlesser
one of these then painted in Gitanes colours for Spa?, possibly Pond's Sanyo car.
Both these cars then re-sprayed in Mobil colours for 1984 James Hardie 1000, Bathurst.
006 Fleet ARF ETC Soper/Allam
007 Fleet ARF ETC Duez/Hahne?
(one also used/shaken down in 2 BTCC rounds driven by Soper)
Plus unidentified Computervision rally car (maybe converted white Donington '83 car!)
009 Marlboro Metge/latterly Griffin BTCC/modasloon?

010 Bastos ETC Walkinshaw/Percy
011 Bastos ETC Allam/Joosen (but accroding t the add 2 guys have linked to the thread this was an '86 title winner?)
There were actually 3 cars but was the 3rd one of the '84 cars (006/007) or a new 012 chassis?? Soper/Hahne?
One of these also raced at Brands GP supporting round by Major Tom.
Plus Computervision car more than likely a new one this time.

(assuming the 3rd 85 car was new car!)

014 Bastos ETC (was definitetly running this year in this livery according to Jespers notes)
015 Bastos ETC
016 White spare/Istel TT winner? (or was this one of the Herbie clips/mobil cars reinvented?)

017 Bastos ETC Walkinshaw (this is now owned by the Williams')
018 ??
019 Bought from auction by Jeff Allam and still in his hands.

2 cars raced in Herbie Clips colours at Brands GP BTCC support race, (likely 004 and 005)

Well it flows but accuracy needs verifying. We can probably add in the rally cars and the gaps will disappear, moving relevant chassis numbers further forward in years?

Last edited by chunterer; 24 Jun 2006 at 10:12.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1640704)   #99
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks KA, I'd forgotten you'd already referred to this possibility in the thread.

I'm still hoping someone will come on and help us clarify the race cars at least.

I was also thinking that there maybe something of a red herring.

Someone mentioned that Tom's cars were disregarded at the end of their season's racing, someone else mentioned crashed cars/rebuilt cars.

Just a hunch, but what if any cars that had extensive rebuilds, or were re shelled ended up being given a new build number?!
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1641765)   #100
KA
Veteran

I've wondered about that as well- I believe some of the Group C Jaguar chassis were rebuilt (eg from XJR8 to 12 etc) and given new chassis numbers, so it's entirely possible that the saem approach could have been taken with the touring cars. I had another look at the article on the SD1 owners club website about Del Lines who owned a number of ex-works rally Rovers in the 80's, and a couple of things made me wonder about the amount of use made of individual cars by TWR- firstly, according to the article, one of Lines' rallycars was heavily crashed in 1986, rebuilt it during 86/7, using an ex-TWR/Bastos shell- this suggests that at that time there were cars or shells going spare at TWR- maybe from older cars which had been retired from use by the team, or reshelled?.

Secondly, this ex-TWR shell came as part of a deal that included the purchase of an ex-Tony Pond Computervision rally car, and the ex-Allam/Hahne 1984 Bathurst car- what's interesting, is that the photos on the webpage, presumably taken around 1986, show the car still in Mobil livery, which suggests it hadn't seen any track action since Bathurst, in the autumn of 1984...
(http://www.roversd1club.net/features...e-ianlines.asp)

Tags
allan dippie, arg, armin hahne, btcc, eddy joosen, etcc, group 1, group a, jean-louis schlesser, jeff allam, john davenport, ken clarke, neville crichton, peter lovett, ron dickson, rover 3500, rover sd1, rover vitesse, steve soper, tom walkinshaw, tony pond, twr, win percy