Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 31 Aug 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2278693)   #1
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arlanda Motorpark

It's been long since I last posted a design here so I thought it was time. The track is located in Arlanda outside Stockholm, Arlanda has Swedens largest airport and is an area where buisness is expanding a lot.

The track it self is meant to bring international racing back to Sweden in the form of the larger Europe based series such as DTM, FIA GT, Formula 3 and so on. The track is 3.9 km long and has some pretty decent elevation changes on the backside.

Edits and suggestions are of course welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
namnlös3.bmp  
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2278912)   #2
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Nothing good, nothing bad, no nothing?
Old 31 Aug 2008, 19:46 (Ref:2278916)   #3
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its got a nice shape to it prefer the changed pitlane the red and black track rather than the green and grey bit

Several good overtaking points to
Old 1 Sep 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2279091)   #4
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a nice track and that last bit before the S/F straight would be interesting if there was a serious fight for the lead. If it was the 1st corner, there would be serious carnage if it were to go horribly wrong at the start IMO.

Would you host more localised categories there like Finnish F3, STCC, DTCC? most likely the STCC.

An entertaining track. Niiice job Mr Pink.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 07:13 (Ref:2279164)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Respect to anyne who dares to comment without knowledge of, say, track direction

From the pitlane I presume it's clockwise, though.

With its almost 4 km lenght it seems to be a bit short, without too much overtaking opportunity. Even the S/F line seems to be no longer than about 6-700 meters following a rather slow corner sequence.

The shape is fine though.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2279220)   #6
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The short would be a bit short for F1, but everything else would do fine. For the rest there is not much information to judge this track unfortunately.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2279352)   #7
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Yes it would hold local series such as STCC and yes it is clockwise.

Maybe it would be better at around 4.5km in lenght?

Werner: What sort of information do you want?
Old 1 Sep 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2279525)   #8
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i presumed it was clockwise by the pit entry
Old 2 Sep 2008, 01:13 (Ref:2279838)   #9
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Likewise.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2280110)   #10
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is only 1 line, I'm sure you can think of things that you can add to your 'map' to increase the amount of information in you design...
Old 2 Sep 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2280148)   #11
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
I'm no good at graphics though so I doubt it will clear anything up..Probably it will just become very messy.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2280529)   #12
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far am I'm concerned a 1 line plan is just fine. If there are elevation changes then tell us about them but other than that...we can all imagine what run-off looks like & the amount of threads that have had more discussion about the pit buildings/paddock shape/size /tunnels/bridges that about the actual track is almost beyond belief. I'd rather see a good one line plan that a mess any day. Just my opinion though lol!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 3 Sep 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2280696)   #13
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One line plans often are the very best track designs. I don't give two Danny ****tu's about the width of the pit lane gantry poles or the plushness of the commentary box. I don't care one jot about how many people the imaginary venue can hold or whether the pitlane crosses the moat on an ancient castle.

Use your imaginations you braindead suckplums.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2280698)   #14
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
I use my imagination for my own tracks, and if I make a good one, I share it, and discuss it. That's hard when there is nothing to discuss.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2280803)   #15
bio
Veteran

Hungary
And use your manners, shambles. Please.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2280825)   #16
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Alwaysfirst: The track starts going downhill after turn 4 and continue to do so through turns 5&6 before leveling out about 100 meters in on the straight.

It starts going uphill at turn 8 and then levels out again after turn 9, the rest of the lap is pretty flat.

Werner: I still don't really uderstand why there's nothing to discuss? Most of the time I think it's easier to imagine the track when it's in a single line design because it's easy to see all the changes in direction etc.

BTW, I really appreciate the design debate because I think it's pretty interesting but I think it deserves it's own thread.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2280982)   #17
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bio, I'd prefer it if you didn't give me flaccid instructions on how to govern my language.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 23:19 (Ref:2281253)   #18
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, shambles, behave and all will be OK.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 23:50 (Ref:2281276)   #19
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said in the design thread those who want to be useful will offer up a constructive response & this is what I am trying to do here.

I've added the barriers (although I couldn't be bothered with specific areas of gravel/asphalt), some grandstands, 3 bridges, all in places where not too much track will be blocked for spectators in the grandstands & a short tunnel to the paddock. I've also added 2 short cuts for national circuits & a karting circuit. Then I took it upon myself to add some corner names. I also thought that if I slightly lengthened the run to Double the overtaking would be easier, so i've done this.

I've changed some of the elevation description so that the track runs downhill from just before the Dropaway, through the dipper before rising again on the straight to a crest at Lift-Off & down again before the 1st of the fast sweepers. Through these sweepers (The Climbing Esses) the track climbs to Summit corner, the highest point on the track, before dropping slightly towards The Kink. The rest of the track is flat. I also decided that there should be come positive camber on Heaven corner after the heavy braking zone of Hell Corner. I can also imagine the section that runs down to Double & back up to Triple being heavily wooded, although I have chosen not to show this on the map.

And all of this withough using any fancy graphics, just good old MS Paint.

Mr Pink: I hope that you like my edit & approve of my changes & don't mind that I've added some things that you chose not to.

I think that we all seem to be a bit snappy at the moment & it's not really the kind of atmosphere that will encourage other to take more interest in this forum. I'm trying to practice what I preach here & IMO some other people could do worse than try to do the same...

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 4 Sep 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2281308)   #20
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
bio, please man don't tell me to 'behave'. I like you and all, you see like a cool guy but get a grip.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 01:40 (Ref:2281310)   #21
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
If he's not good at graphics, that's alright, we just have to use our visualizing skills a bit more to understand what he's talking about.

I suck at graphics, but Mr Pink is a lot better than me, so there isn't exactly any need to tell him to add stuff when he may or may not know how to do. so.

BTW, Alwaysfirst has a good point, some of us need to calm down.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2281410)   #22
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Great effort! I think another grandstand between the sweep and Dropaway at the paddockside would give a great view. You might consider leaving the space inside Summit and the Double empty, that way you wouldn't need any of the bridges. OTOH, the entry of the kink and the outside of the Triple are nice points to watch the race.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2281505)   #23
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Alwaysfirst: I really like what you did with it!
Old 4 Sep 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2281541)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A very nice and well done evolution on Mr Pink's original design.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 02:16 (Ref:2282024)   #25
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice job Alwaysfirst!
I like the pitlane entry/exit...is one of the few I have seen that is well thought.