Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 15 Mar 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2416240)   #1
vauxypower
Rookie

United Kingdom
vauxypower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
converting to fuel injection

Hi there guys im thinking of converting my carbed vauxhall ex to fuel injection. What parts from my original system can I keep to cut down some of the cost fuel tank fuel pump throttle linkage? And what systems are recomended for those of you who have EFI cheers.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 06:54 (Ref:2417154)   #2
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From someone who build up a Nova GTE from scratch.....
Your fuel tank - no good - unless you run a swirl pot to feed the injection pump, though I'd do that anyway to rule out fuel surge.

Are you changing from DCOE's to injection - then if so, you can retain your inlet manifold if you go to any one of many breeds of throttle body. Weber, Jenvey, Lumenition, and a few others use standard DCOE pattern mountings.

You can retain your original throttle pedal!! The cable *might* be long enough, but you may have to cut/trim/modify to make it fit.

Now for the type of system....

What is the car, and what is it used for? That will decide the size of throttle bodies. It may mean that you have to get your inlet manifold machined/flowed to suit the bodies (ie: you may have 40DCOE's, but 45mm bodies would be better)

My choice for ECU would be DTA. That's a broad choice - because they do a number of different systems depending on how far you want to go (traction control, etc...) or how much you can afford.

Mine is fitted with a Lambda sensor, and can (if I want it) run in a closed-loop mode where the ECU can tweak the map to suit what it see's coming down the chimney.

The only thing you may have to get creative with is the crank pickup. With mine being a Nova, I was able to use a Formula Vauxhall Junior toothed wheel, and a fabricated mount for the pickup. Some GM engines already have the toothed wheel on the crank, and the sensor goes in the block.

You'll need to replace your fuel lines to stuff that can handle up to 100psi (better be safe than sorry - though it'll probably run between 40 and 60psi). I use a Vauxhall (Bosch) fuel pump, with a rising rate pressure regulator, and Bosch "green" injectors.

In terms of power increase, well I found about 10bhp at the top end, but with the mapped ignition and fuelling, mid range picked up between 10 and 20% over carbs, and fuel economy was improved quite a bit too.

So. What are you fitting it to?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2422679)   #3
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All as above but you will need a second fuel line to return the fuel from the pressure regulator.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2422721)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Our XE has the distributor chopped off the head too (and the corresponding camshaft has been shortened). It's got an SBD 225 kit fitted, it's worth a look at the SBD website as they have a lot of info on there that's worth a read if you're thinking about going down the throttle bodies route.