Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Jun 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3829654)   #76
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I hear that Bruni's car is going to have to run on 2CV tyres...….
Are they suitable for off road racing?
Old 15 Jun 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3829702)   #77
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Kind of glad Aston Martin won't factor in this year. Serves them right for going this long ignoring the IMSA GTLM class. All of the other 5 makes have cars in it. Assuming Risi comes back at VIR later in the year.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3829706)   #78
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
- Aston have been given turbo boost increase and -10kg.
- BMW and Corvette -10kg
- Ford +8kg
- Porsche +10kg
- Ferrari +1 litre of fuel

- Am Porsche +10kg
- Am Aston -10kg

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...e-changes.html
Old 15 Jun 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3829712)   #79
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As a Corvette fan, this is good news as the Vettes have responded well to weight breaks in the past, but... why can't they make final adjustments after the test day and prior to qualifying? Supposedly they have all the data they need to check for sandbagging so it shouldn't be necessary to wait until now.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3829736)   #80
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
- Aston have been given turbo boost increase and -10kg.
- BMW and Corvette -10kg
- Ford +8kg
- Porsche +10kg
- Ferrari +1 litre of fuel

- Am Porsche +10kg
- Am Aston -10kg

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...e-changes.html
Not that it matters much, I thought the Corvette was-5
Old 15 Jun 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3829739)   #81
kyoung
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
As a Corvette fan, this is good news as the Vettes have responded well to weight breaks in the past, but... why can't they make final adjustments after the test day and prior to qualifying? Supposedly they have all the data they need to check for sandbagging so it shouldn't be necessary to wait until now.
Yeah I am curious as well, what are lap times going to look like later in the stints when tires start going away.

I’m going back to my boycott of checking bulletins, just enjoy the spectacle. On that note, Go Corvette Racing!
Old 15 Jun 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3829769)   #82
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche and Ford may have 1 lap pace but I think the dark horse is the Ferrari on the double stint pace. The 488 is a tire whisperer.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 22:44 (Ref:3829788)   #83
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Porsche and Ford may have 1 lap pace but I think the dark horse is the Ferrari on the double stint pace. The 488 is a tire whisperer.
Yep, people somehow forget that the best car on the grid has been made even better.

Speaking of one lap pace, Gimmi has done something like this before. He managed to somehow do a 3:53.700 in a 458 GTE in 2014. That's the old GTE regulations don't forget, with less aero and power than today. He was 0.965 seconds clear of everyone else.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 00:30 (Ref:3829802)   #84
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
Yeah I am curious as well, what are lap times going to look like later in the stints when tires start going away.

I’m going back to my boycott of checking bulletins, just enjoy the spectacle. On that note, Go Corvette Racing!
Great point and I will do just that too. There was a bigger spread in Indycar qualifying at Detroit than the GTE Pro field. It's pretty darn close for a 8.5 mile track! Bowties!
Old 16 Jun 2018, 01:09 (Ref:3829806)   #85
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Great point and I will do just that too. There was a bigger spread in Indycar qualifying at Detroit than the GTE Pro field. It's pretty darn close for a 8.5 mile track! Bowties!
...minus the Astons unfortunately.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 01:47 (Ref:3829812)   #86
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I hear that Bruni's car is going to have to run on 2CV tyres...….

Lol

Bruni being Bruni it’ll slow him down by about a tenth..
Old 16 Jun 2018, 03:04 (Ref:3829816)   #87
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which GTE teams will have dedicated onboard feeds?

Ford is the only one that I know of. They have a youtube Channel.

It looks like Motortrend TV app will have the 68 Ford, the 82 BMW, and the 94 Porsche (wrong one!!) onboards.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 03:27 (Ref:3829818)   #88
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Which GTE teams will have dedicated onboard feeds?

Ford is the only one that I know of. They have a youtube Channel.

It looks like Motortrend TV app will have the 68 Ford, the 82 BMW, and the 94 Porsche (wrong one!!) onboards.
For the first time in a long time, Corvette will not have onboards.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3831368)   #89
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"The BoP could not forget the Porsche 70th anniversary" : is this assertion correct ?
Old 17 Jun 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3831378)   #90
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
"The BoP could not forget the Porsche 70th anniversary" : is this assertion correct ?
Seemed more like BO(SC) was the problem. Vette had fastest lap for a while late in the race and the margins seemed steady throughout. The problem was that early safety car split the 92 from the field and stayed that way the rest of the race. Everyone else seemed to be about even, just not a lot of lap after lap racing. Some of that I'd put down to pro drivers knowing what they're cars can do
Old 17 Jun 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3831382)   #91
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Seemed more like BO(SC) was the problem. Vette had fastest lap for a while late in the race and the margins seemed steady throughout. The problem was that early safety car split the 92 from the field and stayed that way the rest of the race. Everyone else seemed to be about even, just not a lot of lap after lap racing. Some of that I'd put down to pro drivers knowing what they're cars can do

Problem is that the SC is the only variable.
You dont have stint lenghts, fuel saving, tire saving and so on as tactical variables anymore. Only laptimes. Thats not what I call endurance racing.
In old times you could win with a slower car when you drive one lap longer and safe 1 or 2 pitstops. thats not possible anymore when you have max stint lenght of 14 laps.

Last edited by Maggo; 17 Jun 2018 at 15:01.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 14:59 (Ref:3831387)   #92
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
Problem is that the SC is the only variable.
You dont have stint lenghts, fuel saving, tire saving and so on as tactical variables anymore. Only laptimes. Thats not what I call endurance racing.
In old times you could win with a slower car when you drive one lap longer and safe 1 or 2 pitstops. thats not ****ible anymore when you have max stint lenght of 14 laps.
Absolutely spot on. The BoP Was pretty equal, and as broadrun said, the only gap was created by a SC. But when everything else like stint lengths is mandated, you can no longer have any sort of good strategies.

Similarly, pit stops are now all identical because there's no risk on patching up some damage, or even swapping a bumper. Tyre strategy is now a non-issue.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3831389)   #93
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agree, that's the rest of it. We didn't have the extra aggressive and dive bomb moves youd expect with balanced cars but it was definitely too balanced an event. Yes they were racing, yes they stayed close but other than a few side by side moments it was a procession much of the event. And when cars don't break like they used to, 3 of the GTEs retired I think there's not much room for advancement in the field
Old 17 Jun 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3831431)   #94
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Absolutely spot on. The BoP Was pretty equal, and as broadrun said, the only gap was created by a SC. But when everything else like stint lengths is mandated, you can no longer have any sort of good strategies.

Similarly, pit stops are now all identical because there's no risk on patching up some damage, or even swapping a bumper. Tyre strategy is now a non-issue.
Indeed. My question to the organisers would be how on earth do you expect an exciting race if all cars of equal performance and follow identical strategy when they are artificially spread out?

If car A and car B are just as quick and reliable in green flag conditions, and they are seperated by a saftety car or not hitting a slow zone an equal number of times, then that gap cannot be closed.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3831604)   #95
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Indeed. My question to the organisers would be how on earth do you expect an exciting race if all cars of equal performance and follow identical strategy when they are artificially spread out?

If car A and car B are just as quick and reliable in green flag conditions, and they are seperated by a saftety car or not hitting a slow zone an equal number of times, then that gap cannot be closed.
Agree with all of the comments on max number of laps per stint. I missed the communication on why the ACO mandated this - what was their logic behind the rule?

Believe that they should do away with the safety cars and do code 60s too.

That being said - did enjoy the race and coverage of the GT battles.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3832061)   #96
frenchyben
Rookie

France
Lyon
frenchyben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Kind of glad Aston Martin won't factor in this year. Serves them right for going this long ignoring the IMSA GTLM class. All of the other 5 makes have cars in it. Assuming Risi comes back at VIR later in the year.
find the $10M or so and I am sure that they will gladly go and race there...
Old 20 Jun 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3832085)   #97
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
Agree with all of the comments on max number of laps per stint. I missed the communication on why the ACO mandated this - what was their logic behind the rule?

Believe that they should do away with the safety cars and do code 60s too.

That being said - did enjoy the race and coverage of the GT battles.
Safety cars and code 60s are used for different things though. When you need a gap in traffic to safely deal with an incident, such as clearing a big debris field in the middle of the track or welding a drain cover back in, only a safety car will do.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 23:09 (Ref:3833261)   #98
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
I read a very intriguing question on the listeners collective a few hours ago, remarking about how the Porsche WEC Factory team ran the throwback Rothman's and Pink Pig liveries for this years Le mans, but the American Porsche Factory squad from CORE Autosport (#93 & #94) stuck with their factory "shield" liveries.

So my question is this....what Classic American Porsche racing liveries would YOU all have chosen to grace the 93 and 94? For me personally, Brumos Racing's livery fully deserves an automatic reservation on one of the two cars as that is the most legendary. The second car however, is a bit trickier as there are many to chose from.......

AJ Foyt's Copenhagen
Lowenbrau Special
Penske's Sunoco 917-30
Miller High Life 962
Hawaiian Tropic 935
Apple Computer 935
#86 Havoline 962
Swap Shop 962
Valvoline 962

Any other choices?

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 26 Jun 2018 at 23:14.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 05:47 (Ref:3833280)   #99
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
I read a very intriguing question on the listeners collective a few hours ago, remarking about how the Porsche WEC Factory team ran the throwback Rothman's and Pink Pig liveries for this years Le mans, but the American Porsche Factory squad from CORE Autosport (#93 & #94) stuck with their factory "shield" liveries.

So my question is this....what Classic American Porsche racing liveries would YOU all have chosen to grace the 93 and 94? For me personally, Brumos Racing's livery fully deserves an automatic reservation on one of the two cars as that is the most legendary. The second car however, is a bit trickier as there are many to chose from.......

AJ Foyt's Copenhagen
Lowenbrau Special
Penske's Sunoco 917-30
Miller High Life 962
Hawaiian Tropic 935
Apple Computer 935
#86 Havoline 962
Swap Shop 962
Valvoline 962

Any other choices?
Brumos & Penske Sunoco
Old 27 Jun 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3833351)   #100
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
- Brumos, because they were a historical Porsche importer and not only a sponsor.
- Any Bob Wollek's Porsche livery.