Old 16 Mar 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2153822)   #1
Striker
Rookie

Bahrain
Bahrain
Striker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting GT3 team, need help.

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been a member of this forum for quite some time but I have been inactive for a long time.

I am a race driver myself with little or no experience compared to the people on this forum due to the sole reason of being unfortunate of starting a career in the Middle East as it is quite hard within this region.

Myself and my partner are looking into starting a GT3 team and I would like to have a guideline and some help for starting a team in the GT3 series.

What do I need to keep in mind when the team is on the verge of starting. I have already done my research but I would like to have more information from actual race drivers and team owners or managers. What should I be aware of when I am starting a team, where do I find mechanics and maintainence issues. If I do have my own mechanics, where can I train them for further enhancement. How much are the running costs and any additional costs that could be present when starting a GT3 team. AND what about drivers training centers to enhance and improve the drivers for their racing as well as centers to keep the drivers fit physically and mentally to drive in any series (preferably Europe).

What about equipments, devices and spare parts. What sort of best equipments to get for race driver as to show the consistancey for the driver and the vehicle itself as well as the devices to enhance the machine and the human. One more question, which would be the best company/ies to deal with regarding those issues even when it comes to tires. From point A to Z.

If you have any more input regarding anything in starting a GT3 team, please feel free to post them.

Thank you in advance for the help that I hope will be provided to me on this thread and any other person who would like to start a GT3 team.

Last edited by Striker; 16 Mar 2008 at 16:48. Reason: Staring instead of Starting.

-/////AMG
Old 16 Mar 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2153841)   #2
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well you know if you need a mechanic
Old 16 Mar 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2153849)   #3
Striker
Rookie

Bahrain
Bahrain
I will keep you posted tux.

I will need to know more about the whole series before getting in and bringing mechanics.

Thank you for your input.

-/////AMG
Old 16 Mar 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2153872)   #4
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What series were you planning to enter? Fia gt3?

Price of a new car is following.
Ascari kz1r €405,903
Aston Martin dbrs9 €300,000
Corvette zo6-r €235,000
Dodge Viper cc €149,650
Ferrari F430 €273,000
Ford Gt €329,500
Ford Mustang €239,500
Jaguar XKR €265,684
Lambourghini Gallardo €199,800
Morgan Aero 8 €300,000
Porsche 997 €250,000

You could pick up second hand cars from teams at cheaper prices.

You will need a minimum of two cars Plus spares.

Spares you would probaly need to carry from race to race are a couple of sets of brake pads/discs, 1x engine, 1x Gearbox, a couple of driveshafts, spare suspension components, bodywork, spare wheel rims.
Thats not a definitive list and varies considerably dependant on what sort of wear/ reliability of parts are.

Also a set of tyres costs €375 you would maybe need 2 or more sets per race weekend.

You would also need refuelling equipment, wheel guns, tools, set up scales, data recording equipment and radio equipment etc.

personnel wise id guess you would need a engineer, no.1 mechanic, 2x no.2 mechanics and a trainee/ apprentice per car

Lifted from the 2008 fia gt3 Presentation.
For the 2008 season, the average budget to race in the FIA GT3 European Championship is between
125,000 to 150,000 euros per driver per season.

Theres lots of information in the 2008 Fia GT3 presentation which can be found here. http://www.fiagt3.com/downloads.php Just scroll down to 2008 FIA GT3 European Championship presentation

Last edited by tux; 16 Mar 2008 at 17:56.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2153931)   #5
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If buying second hand cars, the team selling them should be able to give you plenty of advice. Even if buying new, I would still try approaching some existing teams for help / guidance.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2154007)   #6
Striker
Rookie

Bahrain
Bahrain
Tux - Thank you for the major assistance that you have provided me with. Do you have any rough idea about drivers training center?

Tainan - I have tried that earlier with existing teams but I did not get any reply from them.

-/////AMG
Old 16 Mar 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2154030)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainan
If buying second hand cars, the team selling them should be able to give you plenty of advice. Even if buying new, I would still try approaching some existing teams for help / guidance.
Go find or heir away a CHEIF Mechanic or Crew Chief or better yet an Ex Team Manager or one out of work. That is the first person you heir.

Buy a one year old car to cut your teeth, ( start out) and get experience.

What ever your budget is, double it. Go to the GT3 races and hang out. Watch and talk to ppl . Emails wont work, you must go TO Europe and the races.

Good Luck
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2154079)   #8
Striker
Rookie

Bahrain
Bahrain
That would be a nice way to create some enemies if I went ahead and hired a chief mechanic or crew chief...It would be better getting an Ex team manager, do you have any site with ads for such people who are out of work?

About racing training centers, I heard that there is one in Italy or so, a 3 month strict program to get you physically and mentally fit..Any more info about this place or any other place like that?!

-/////AMG
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2154100)   #9
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DO a search for a GT3 forum. and right here.

You need to go TO the races. and just start talking too ppl.

No offense, I would not respond to a job position OUT of my own country. Nor respond to any emails offering me a position. But if the guy meet me AT A RACE looked me straight in the eye, stuck out his hand and said, "Hello My name is Tom. I would like to talk to you about . . ."

Then I would give him the some time.

Or an other way is too SPONSOR an other team for this year. or BUY your own Ride for this year, as you make contacts for next year.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 16 Mar 2008 at 20:55.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2154118)   #10
SimonY
Rookie

SimonY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure I would enter a series I had very little experience of by starting my own team, particularly at this level. If you have that sort of budget I would pay to race for another team in the series first to find out exactly what was required and build some decent contacts.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2154615)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
gfm is a poster on this forum and he was British GT champion a few (5 ish) years back. Look him up and PM him, he'll know answers to most of your questions.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2155053)   #12
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Does it have to be specifically Gt3? Was just thinking you could possibly buy a couple of the new Radical SR8 cars and be very competitive in the Gulf Radical cup. Would also work out cheaper as it is based mainly in your area. You could combine this with a couple of appearances at the Radical World cup events. Then after maybe a couple of seasons step up to Fia GT3 or mabe Porsche Supercup.

http://www.gulfradicalcup.com/

Just remember this famous saying though. Dont try and run before you can walk. But best of luck for your venture.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2162720)   #13
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Striker, the one main thing that you will need to know.

Above all else, cheat, bend the rules, (and don't get caught) - or you'll be the odd one out in the pitlane, and a long way down the grid.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2162989)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59
Striker, the one main thing that you will need to know.

Above all else, cheat, bend the rules, (and don't get caught) - or you'll be the odd one out in the pitlane, and a long way down the grid.

hey hey HEY. There is no such thing as cheating. It is "Rule Interpretation Harassments"
Old 27 Mar 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2163098)   #15
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, I should have quoted from the Tom Walkinshaw book of "how to run a Touring Car, Gp.C car, and F1 team" Allegedly.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2163122)   #16
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And V8SC teams.

Mick