Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3995612)   #76
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a great day despite the weather. The Jack Sears race was wonderful. The crowd was OK but a bit thin I suppose. I think a lot of the more casual spectators, especially family groups, are put off by having to book in advance. Looking forward to tomorrow now
Old 15 Aug 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3995628)   #77
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Coming down tomorrow - last year on Saturday the crowd was very thin as I recall. Having been to Mallory, Cadwell, Oulton and Snetterton in recent weeks taking photos, and with the green of Thruxton tomorrow , I don't miss Silverfence ...
Old 15 Aug 2020, 20:57 (Ref:3995634)   #78
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good racing today and pretty strong grids, spectator numbers low as has been said but all the better for those do attend! Usual gripes with Thruxton on small issues like access gate from the car parking area to the complex being locked and unattended and the PA not working but well worth the trip, oh and the commentary team is worse than useless - back tomorrow
Not sure what happened to the Westminster in Iain's race , it dropped off the charts half way through-always looks fearful to drive! Thankfully very few excursions on track despite the mixed weather conditions.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 05:04 (Ref:3995674)   #79
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was going to do a full report later today after the GTSCC race . The Westfie was going great guns in the race and I was having so much fun . I only did couple of laps in qualy and let Brian do most of the session as he had not driven the car . We were way down the grid which was expected . The cars have moved on a bit in performance .There are some very quick A 40 ‘s out there . I started the race and passed a couple of cars and started chasing the MG Magnette . Had a brilliant 20 mins of fun and the lap times started coming down . Then on my last lap before pit stop as I came out of Cobb corner I could not select 3 rd . Had to coast back in 2 nd and very disappointed for Brian . Not looked at the box yet but fingers crossed it’s just a selector problem. Fantastic day catching up with lovely racing friends and Marshall’s. I kept on picturing Mike rushing around . Just up now and back to track to race the MGB.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 06:59 (Ref:3995678)   #80
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad end for the Westminster Iain, best of luck in the GTSCC race and Peter in his MGB later on, back on the run down.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 09:02 (Ref:3995688)   #81
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that was interesting. First lap I spun at a very greasy Goodwood. Second lap the car I was catching spun at the same place so once again I took to the grass. Then we got red flagged on the third lap. In the pits the car wouldn't restart but some kind chaps pushed me. All round the lap it was popping and spitting. Then it was the chequered flag.

Had to push the car from Park Ferme. Assume it was fuel vaporisation so charge up the battery and re fuel ready for this afternoon. Happy days.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 09:49 (Ref:3995693)   #82
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Lot more spectators today and car clubs. That’s good .
Old 16 Aug 2020, 20:36 (Ref:3995836)   #83
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always enjoy the longer races best and the GTSCC today was excellent. We do take it rather for granted even though it is a quite recent innovation but it is amazing the difference having TSL on line makes. Instead of trying to catch snatches of what is going on from an almost inaudible PA it's all there in full detail to see and it's easy to follow everything. Makes for a much improved experience for a spectator. Thank you TSL
Old 16 Aug 2020, 20:40 (Ref:3995837)   #84
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good day today and seems we probably got some of the better weather looking at photos from other circuits. Photos of Messrs Mallett and Rowley will be forthcoming shortly - any other 10/10thers racing on Sunday ?
Old 16 Aug 2020, 20:53 (Ref:3995839)   #85
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
I always enjoy the longer races best and the GTSCC today was excellent. We do take it rather for granted even though it is a quite recent innovation but it is amazing the difference having TSL on line makes. Instead of trying to catch snatches of what is going on from an almost inaudible PA it's all there in full detail to see and it's easy to follow everything. Makes for a much improved experience for a spectator. Thank you TSL
Always assuming you have the technology to hand! which I don't but absolutely agree about the first race which turned out to be quite enthralling.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 21:21 (Ref:3995841)   #86
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Decent weekend. Caught up with several people I had not seen this year and the spectators seemed to be social distancing. Felt a bit weird but that's the times we now live in.

A batch from qualifying on Saturday, around the complex :
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0033.jpg   IMG_0123.jpg   IMG_0338.jpg  

IMG_0647.jpg   IMG_0697.jpg   IMG_0630.jpg  

Old 16 Aug 2020, 21:23 (Ref:3995842)   #87
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I had another brilliant race sharing Brian Lambert MGB. Did the middle stint and had fun dicing with Simon Drabble in his Reliant Sabre and then another MGB joined in the fun. Looks like Peter did well along with another old tenther Nick Morrison.Lovely weekend and really enjoyed being back at Thruxton.
Been asked to co drive again at Castle Combe so looking forward to that.
Looking forward to the photos. Would love some of the Westminster as well. Thanks in advance,
Old 16 Aug 2020, 21:25 (Ref:3995843)   #88
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Decent weekend. Caught up with several people I had not seen this year and the spectators seemed to be social distancing. Felt a bit weird but that's the times we now live in.

A batch from qualifying on Saturday, around the complex :
And as if my magic. That photo sure looks scary.Thank you.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 05:22 (Ref:3995877)   #89
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that was fun. First time in the car since Spa last year and first time at Thruxton for 25 years.

The fuel problem was resolved by taking old fuel out and putting new in. I was somewhat circumspect at the start so ended up behind Nick but got past after a lap only to be re passed later when we came up to a Sprite. That resulted in three of us swapping places a couple of times. A mini and an Alfa also got in on the act. Ultimately we moved up the order but remained stuck in our personal train. Had a good laugh with Nick afterwards.

I suspect we'd have all gone faster if we weren't dicing but it probably wouldn't have been as much fun.

Ken and Tim Clarke howled their Rover around and finished second overall in the two race HTC event. Had a good chat with Tiff Needell.

Great to see Iain and saw some of his race. That is a stunning grid of cars. I don't think any other MGBs went as fast over the weekend as his did in that race.

Look forward to the pics.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 14:13 (Ref:3995991)   #90
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQ59SNr

HRDC Alfa Challenge gallery up first.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 20:13 (Ref:3996060)   #91
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A batch from Sunday qually and part of the GTSCC race. Galleries can be found here: https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p443012597 and https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p20832225
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0819.jpg   IMG_0943.jpg   IMG_0963.jpg  

IMG_1204.jpg   IMG_1343.jpg   IMG_1658.jpg  

Old 17 Aug 2020, 20:34 (Ref:3996069)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Some great pics there.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 05:39 (Ref:3996125)   #93
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
MRL Pre-War race now added; GTSCC next on the list - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQ5TPQ6
Old 18 Aug 2020, 06:23 (Ref:3996129)   #94
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Whats car number 46 ?
Old 18 Aug 2020, 06:25 (Ref:3996131)   #95
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheetah?
Old 18 Aug 2020, 06:33 (Ref:3996132)   #96
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
Cheetah?
Thanks.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 06:58 (Ref:3996136)   #97
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be wrong Iain, never actually seen one. I remember a slot car version.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 07:12 (Ref:3996141)   #98
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to TSL, number 46 is Ian Burford in a Bill Thomas Cheetah. Ian is probably best known on here for driving the Austin Healey Sebring Sprite 'Lumbertubs'. Doesn't he post on Ten-Tenths ?
Old 18 Aug 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3996173)   #99
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
MRL Pre-War race now added; GTSCC next on the list - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQ5TPQ6
Some cracking photos here, you are a talented photographer....
Old 18 Aug 2020, 20:23 (Ref:3996299)   #100
Bluebell
Rookie

Bluebell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Documentary of event

Promo up on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/qp2JoRVcHt4