Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jul 2004, 06:48 (Ref:1051653)   #1
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy Bithday Neil Crompton!

- I wrote this the other day when I had a spare ten minute, intending to post it on his Birthday (30th/07). I wasn’t intending it to be this long, so sorry about that! -

44 years ago to this day in Ballarat, Victoria, Mr and Mrs Crompton unleashed a young man into this world like we had never seen before. They called him Neil.

He has always been and will probably always be obsessed by motorsport, racing motocross bikes from a young age and coming oh so close to winning Bathurst on a few occasions, where mechanical dramas and his co-drivers mistakes have cost him so dearly. I (as do many others) believe that he would have won the race in 92 had it not been stopped, as Dick Johnson wouldn’t have stood a chance in the pouring rain against the might of Crompton and his GTR. Never-the-less some of his drives on the mountain will never be forgotten, such as his amazing effort in the 98 race to drag the #5 Ford Credit Falcon up from multiple laps down right up into 5th and nearly on the lead lap by flag fall. And you never know, at just 44, there is a good chance he will be back again to give it another shot.

Neil has raced so many cars over the years, including Falcon and Commodore V8Supercars, a Honda Accord and Peugeot 406 Super Tourers, a BMW M3 GTR V8, a Reynard Formula Brabham, Reynard F3000s at Brands Hatch in England and various touring cars for team such as Peter Brock’s Advantage Racing and the Holden Racing Team. Neil also came so close to a test drive in a Champ Car in 1992, when sadly the team folded just prior to Neil getting in the car!

When the category was at its best during the 90s, Neil spoke of Champ Car racing with the kind of enthusiasm a child has for Christmas. He told MRA in 1993: “I know that Bernie tells us there are 14 squillion people watching F1in Ethiopia and all the rest of it, but the fact of the matter is that the Americans have got ESPN and they’re on every other weekend and it’s big-time- real big-time in the markets that count.” It would have been fantastic seeing our own Neil Crompton battling Rahal, Tracy, de Ferran, Unser Jnr, Zanardi and company around the streets of Surfers Paradise!

Neil has of course also done a fair bit of commentating over the years. This side of his motorsport career began in 1984 when he broke his ankle after falling off his motocross bike and was asked to do a “riders viewpoint” on a small televised motocross series (which he would have competed in had he not been injured). Despite the fact he knew nothing about television; he gave it a go and directly after was given a cheque for $300. He couldn’t believe it! Neil always said he does television for three reasons: He enjoys it, the exposure is good (to fund his racing) and he likes money!

Even long after his retirement (which should be many years away yet), Neil should always be remembered as a racer who could talk, rather than the commentator who could drive a bit!

Cheers Neil, and Happy Birthday!

I am not really good at remembering quotes, but here is a couple. If anyone else wants to add any, please do so by all means………..

“Remember, I’m not biased here folks. I couldn’t care less whether it is Ronald McDonald versus the Paddle Pop lion.” – Winton 2003

“That is one of the worst if not the worst stewards decision I have ever seen.” – Winton 2003

“Bright and Ambrose, side by side in the grass, what is going on here?” – Phillip Island 2003

“Mike (Raymond), we have a highly technical problem here, we’re out of gas!” – Bathurst 1991

And my favourite Cromley quote, said in an interview in 93 discussing the future of touring car racing in Australia……..

“International Touring Car racing (2 Litre) is all about cars of the world, it’s about engines that are high- tech, and light, and breathe well and rev, and I think that will ultimately take over as our form of national touring car racing.”
Attached Images

“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 06:57 (Ref:1051660)   #2
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Doh! Can one of the mods please put a R in the thread titleIdiot.

Anyhow, a pic of the famous #5 Seton/Crompton Bathurst 98 Falcon (from http://www.ecn.net.au/~amib/)
Attached Thumbnails
98bathurst1000 10.jpg  
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:01 (Ref:1051662)   #3
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
And his 2002 steed....... (www.v8supercar.com.au)
Attached Thumbnails
02v8championship 10.jpg  
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1051665)   #4
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
And the ill-fated Crompton BMW from the 2003 Bathurst 24hrs...... (www.motorsport.com)
Attached Thumbnails
03bathurst24hr 10.jpg  
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:08 (Ref:1051668)   #5
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Not the actual car he drove, but an identical example of a 406 Super Tourer that Cromley drove at the 1997 AMP Bathurst 1000...... (http://www.ecn.net.au/~amib/)
Attached Thumbnails
97bathurst1000 10.jpg  
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:12 (Ref:1051675)   #6
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Again, not the actual car but a very similar Nissan GTR to the one Cromley drove at Bathurst in 1992......(www.progalleries.com.au)
Attached Thumbnails
92bathurst1000 10.jpg  
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:15 (Ref:1051678)   #7
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Ok, I will make this the last pic, just incase someone mistakes my respect for Neil as something more....!

The only Coke Commodore pic I could find on the internet, so it is Gardner, not Cromley, but you get the idea............(www.autopics.com.au)
Attached Thumbnails
94gardneratcc.jpg  
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:18 (Ref:1051681)   #8
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Sorry, one more, I could hardly have a Holden as the last one could I.

Neil cresting the rise at turn 3 at Barbagallo, 2000 in the FTR Falcon........(www.v8supercar.com.au)
Attached Thumbnails
00shellchampionship 10.jpg  
Old 30 Jul 2004, 08:04 (Ref:1051709)   #9
The Pressure !!
Racer

Australia
Sydney
The Pressure !! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite quote was from Winton 2003 "110 percent wrong, Colin Bond"
Old 30 Jul 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1051860)   #10
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy Birthday "Neils on Weels"

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 30 Jul 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1051861)   #11
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS Well done XR8 it must have taken you a while to compile

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 30 Jul 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1051923)   #12
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember when he cracked the poos after his top ten lap at Bathurst in '93 when he speared off because the track was covered in oil, only to find out that he laid it out on his previous lap.

Classic - Happy Birthday Neil.

P.S. 00 XR8. I believe one of his best chances of victory was Bathurst '95 but it was Crompton himself who made the blue.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 30 Jul 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1051945)   #13
V8 Supercars
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
V8 Supercars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pity he hasn't got a good attitude towards someone just saying hello
Old 30 Jul 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1051946)   #14
dumbrell_fan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
dumbrell_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy Birthday Neil
Old 31 Jul 2004, 01:18 (Ref:1052443)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Happy Bithday Neil Crompton!

Quote:
Originally posted by 00 XR8
Neil has of course also done a fair bit of commentating over the years. This side of his motorsport career began in 1984 when he broke his ankle after falling off his motocross bike and was asked to do a “riders viewpoint” on a small televised motocross series (which he would have competed in had he not been injured).
Not to pick holes, it is a nice read.

But he was commentating before 1984, he commentated on a couple of ABC Sports broadcasts of the 1983 Touring Car season, and possibly earlier than that as well.

Old 31 Jul 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1052616)   #16
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didnt know I shared my birthday week with Cromley as well as Jose Fernandez, happy birthday to all three of us!!!! (Im the youngest :P)

Last edited by rdmdog; 31 Jul 2004 at 10:46.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1052632)   #17
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Re: Re: Happy Bithday Neil Crompton!

Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Not to pick holes, it is a nice read.

But he was commentating before 1984, he commentated on a couple of ABC Sports broadcasts of the 1983 Touring Car season, and possibly earlier than that as well.

Thanks for adding that, I was working with all the information I could find (and my trust-worthy memory), but I cannot guarantee 100% correctness on everything

Wrighty05, I cannot believe I forgot to mention that moment! I have it on tape, quite hilarious I thought

And Happy Birthday rdmdog
Old 1 Aug 2004, 05:51 (Ref:1053064)   #18
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Cheers
Old 1 Aug 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1053352)   #19
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Happy Bithday Neil Crompton!

Quote:
Originally posted by 00 XR8
- I wrote this the other day when I had a spare ten minute, intending to post it on his Birthday (30th/07). I wasn’t intending it to be this long, so sorry about that! -
Don't forget his first circuit race car, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo Group E Production Car.

Or his Bathurst 12 Hour victory for Mazda in the RX7.

It should also be noted that the two years he spent racing in Formula Holden were spent in aluminium Ralts, not carbon Reynards.

Neil shares his birthday with Tony Scott and Layton Crambrook. And others.

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...07#post1741507

Many happy returns Neil. Hope you get to put the helmet back on sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Falcadore; 1 Aug 2004 at 15:56.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 23:18 (Ref:1053609)   #20
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy Birthday Boss of BMX
Old 2 Aug 2004, 02:36 (Ref:1053666)   #21
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by V8 Supercars
Pity he hasn't got a good attitude towards someone just saying hello
Different strokes I guess, but I remember Lakeside 1989, when he was bumming around outside the HRT garage doing something for Channel 7, he approached me as a 15 year old, asked me how my day was and just started talking motor racing with me for about 5 minutes. His enthusiasm and down-to-earthness really made an impression on me and I've been a fan ever since.

Excellent driver and top communicator.
Happy Birthday Neil!
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 07:15 (Ref:1053712)   #22
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
ID agree, the only time it might have seemed that he was shrugging off a fan would have been while he was "At Work". He is a pretty focussed guy and this shows in the lengths he goes to to find out what is going on in the teams, this way he dosent have to make up a lot of **** to talk about during the telecast.

You would also have to remember that in his final year he was teammate to a SORF, and this would have been very dissapointing for such a competitive bloke.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1053949)   #23
V8 Supercars
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
V8 Supercars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember back in 2000 in Canberra and he ingored my mate who works with us at the tracks when he said hello.

Then at Coolangatta airport in 2000 when I was picking up my mate for Indy he was the first to jump off the plane. As he was walking towards me I said "g'day Neil' and he just grunted back. I thought to myself what a DH. I was just saying hello and didn't expect anything other than 'hello' or 'hi' in return. Anyway when I see him at the races now I just walk past and don't say a thing not that he was saying anything to me anyway. I would rather talk to people that are polite back to me like I am to them.

Anyway thats just what I experienced and I assume many others have had totally different experiences with him.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1053957)   #24
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to have talks with him when he was on the safety committee.
He would go a long way if he worked for CAMS!
It was like talking to a wall!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1054113)   #25
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
one of Cromley's first gigs was commentating for the Drag Racing telecasts on the ABC in the early 80's