Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 4 Oct 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1728127)   #1
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we need a website for FF1600?

Sad news released tonight that ff1600.co.uk will soon be no more.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 01:05 (Ref:1728221)   #2
ff1600
Rookie

ff1600 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knew there was the possibility of this outcome but really hoped it wouldn't happen. I visit the web site at least once every day.

As a competitor from N Ireland it is quite hard to get info on events happening on that side of the pond but the site is a big help on that side of things.

I think the site is a great asset to the ff1600 community, a hub for all things ff1600.

Hope something can be sorted out to keep the site alive.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1728391)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be a crying shame if it goes. I use it a lot.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1728421)   #4
ff90
Racer

ff90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That’s a real Disaster!!!! No chance of it being saved??
Old 5 Oct 2006, 07:46 (Ref:1728447)   #5
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
FranksWilde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A shame 'cause I enjoy looking on the site to see what's happening.

Why is it going? Has Ian got too many commitments now or just not enough help?
Old 5 Oct 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1728455)   #6
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksWilde
A shame 'cause I enjoy looking on the site to see what's happening.

Why is it going? Has Ian got too many commitments now or just not enough help?
From the little fella himself
Quote:
All

Just a brief note to let you know that Matt Beer and I have decided that, after coverage of the Walter Hayes Trophy in November, there will be no more updates to FF1600.co.uk. Unfortunately, the time it takes to maintain the website to the standard that we would like to is greater than the time either of us have available to spend on it in the future. It was never a venture that was going to make money, nor was it intended to be, so the reason for closing is a lack of time alone.

When we stop updating the site, we will put a notice on our home page to that effect. Presumably at some point it will disappear altogether.

Thanks to all of you for your co-operation and support of our venture since March 2005 when we launched - little suspecting how many thousands of page impressions we would receive each month. It was a pleasant surprise, and the kind words that we had from many of you as well as all of our other readers - including the FF1600 competitor base - has made it an enjoyable and immensely worthwhile couple of seasons.

Although I can't speak for Matt, who is busying himself by getting married next year, I will probably be at almost as many race dates in 2007, but without as much midnight oil burning before and afterwards. I am sure I will see all of you next season; indeed, I will probably see all of you in the next month or so of fantastic trophy events.

Best wishes

Ian Sowman
Old 5 Oct 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1728493)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very sad. ff1600.co.uk was one of the reasons i've had my interest in the sport rekindled.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1728496)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Diz is really very quick off the mark. You should be able to read something about the reasons behind the closure on the site later this morning.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1728518)   #9
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Sorry Snowman
I didn't realise it was hush hush until the "Exclusive" announcement is exclusively announced on the world's number one FF1600 website.

Just a wee thought follows.

Sadly we are losing Ian and Matt, but what are all the contributors going to be upto? With backing, I'm sure there could be someone already involved who could take over the reins.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1728521)   #10
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree Diz, as many of the FF folk are in the business.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1728544)   #11
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rest assured the site will not be taken down in the near future.

Its been a pleasure, and I do mean that, to see this site grow to be something that is regarded as useful and enjoyable by the community.

I know how hard the guys work on it, so please don't take it lightly by asking "can someone else just not take it on", really consider the level of commitment it requires to not just do it, but do it well.

I personally think it is a sad loss, and I'd guess so would the community judging by the hits it gets, but at the same time as I said early, its a bigger commitment than a lot of people think.

I think now is a nice time to thank

Ian,
Matt,
the photographers and the additional journo's who have contributed and contributed well, even sometimes taking flack - which sorry journo's thats part of the game.

I for one have genuinly enjoyed reading the news and reviews. I have a much better understanding of the Irish championship guys now, so know who I'm talking to when I do actually chat to them, its also been useful to follow other championships that I was aware of.

Last edited by darcym; 5 Oct 2006 at 09:33.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1728555)   #12
darcym
Veteran

The question of "do we need one" is a differnt story to "do we want one"

Looking at how the BRSCC's site has been maintained for formula ford, I'd say yes for that alone, CCRC has been very co-operative and with the irish not actually having a site, one central place has made for me personally information much simpler to obtain.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1728562)   #13
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guys have done a great job, no doubt, and the lack of news and coverage will be sadly and greatly missed.

Joke follows:

When we have the quality that is "www.clubformulaford.info" why do we need ff1600.co.uk?
Old 5 Oct 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1728624)   #14
darcym
Veteran

ammuses me that club formula ford promised a good media service - yet the first update is the "festival news"

but rather than back a service thats respected and more "on the pulse" they decided to go their own way.

Its not even got the championship winners up for each championship, nor does it mention any news on the zetec championships troubles / current state.

I wonder why the BRSCC are percieved as they are......

John, how have you found the club F3 sites status / news etc as its run by the same orginsation that does formula ford.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1728626)   #15
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
It's a great shame, I've really enjoyed working for the site.
Not only has it properly shown me what a fantastic class FF1600 is, with a great atmosphere in the paddock - but it's also given me a chance to do something very different in motorsport, and I feel in terms of personal development it's helped. Thanks to Ian and Matt for the opportunity.

Do we need the site? - Well, no, of course not, things managed before. But, we've got used to it now, and it was the only way to follow all FF1600 championships in detail. So, it definitely will be sorely missed.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1728645)   #16
chewy pappas
Rookie

chewy pappas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Very disappointing to lose this great site.It seems the only place to get info on the NI events.Would it be viable to make it a subscriber site so the membership money would go some way to paying someone to do the job that the editors do now? I know I'd pay to susbscribe.Just a thought.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1728646)   #17
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym
John, how have you found the club F3 sites status / news etc as its run by the same orginsation that does formula ford.
It's better, but is actually updated by SK Racing I think.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1728648)   #18
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame. I don't think anyone will know what it takes to run the site to the standard we have all become accustomed too.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1728655)   #19
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gutted, fantastic site I always look at it at least twice a day looking for the next update! Can only imagine the vast amount of work that Ian and Matt put in.

Can't believe you can mention that BRSCC thing in the same post it's a sad joke.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 5 Oct 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1728660)   #20
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Sorry Snowman
I didn't realise it was hush hush until the "Exclusive" announcement is exclusively announced on the world's number one FF1600 website.

Just a wee thought follows.

Sadly we are losing Ian and Matt, but what are all the contributors going to be upto? With backing, I'm sure there could be someone already involved who could take over the reins.
As one of the afore mentioned "already involved" I have written to Ian, just last night about such a solution.

Should this be a goer it would help me greatly if other contributors could PM me with any offers to assist. Come to think of it it would help me to know who I've got willing to help out should Ian wish to discuss this further. I share everyones pain at the thought of losing the ONLY FF1600 website that's worth visiting.

I would like to say that although sadened by this news, I would like to give both Ian and Matt my heartfelt thanks for what they have achieved and will continue to achieve until the end of this season and also thank you for introducing me to the world of Motorsport Photography, it is something I will continue to do - well after I have hung my driving boots up for good.
Thanks again and all the veryy best of luck in what ever you do in the future.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1729224)   #21
Steve Lowdon
Racer

England
Bracknell,Berkshire
Steve Lowdon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure i feel the same as most of you guys,it will be a great shame if the site does have to finish & as Alan said,i to found that the site rekindled my interest once again in Formula Ford & was one of the factors that made me want to do it all over again.
I think ALL the race reports are excellantly covered & Ian & Matts enthusiasm for Formula Ford racing comes across all the way through the site.
I look at the site at least once a day & it helps with the withdrawl synptoms when not racing,GREAT shame if it does finish & i'm sure we'll ALL miss it.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1729253)   #22
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lowdon
I'm sure i feel the same as most of you guys,it will be a great shame if the site does have to finish & as Alan said,i to found that the site rekindled my interest once again in Formula Ford & was one of the factors that made me want to do it all over again.
I think ALL the race reports are excellantly covered & Ian & Matts enthusiasm for Formula Ford racing comes across all the way through the site.
I look at the site at least once a day & it helps with the withdrawl synptoms when not racing,GREAT shame if it does finish & i'm sure we'll ALL miss it.
I for one will miss it the reports have alway's been excellent reading covering all the incidents too not many websites seem to manage that,look's like i'll have to go back reading the news in the motorsports weeklys again!!!!

Oh well little is better than nothing
Old 5 Oct 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1729285)   #23
Steve Burns
Racer

United Kingdom
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Steve Burns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a great loss for FF1600 racing, which I'm confident would not be enjoying the current high levels of popularity without the tremendous efforts put in by Ian Sowman, Matt Beer and the rest of the FF1600.co.uk contributors.

Old 6 Oct 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1729738)   #24
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy pappas
Very disappointing to lose this great site.It seems the only place to get info on the NI events.Would it be viable to make it a subscriber site so the membership money would go some way to paying someone to do the job that the editors do now? I know I'd pay to susbscribe.Just a thought.
Whilst I thoroughly agree with this sentiment, sadly I don't think it would work.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it usually hits the spot. Everyone enjoys reading the reports etc on the website, but when it comes to putting hands in pockets, most people would take a step back. It has already been raised. WANT and NEED. A perfect example of this is the classified section. We all know it's there and yet, although everyone knows it will support the website to advertise there, most people choose to put their items for sale on the numerous FREE Classified sites.

Whilst the decision to close isn't based on a financial one, but a time one, we have to respect those involved in that.

Well done Ian and Matt and everyone else involved in the website. It has been a brilliant venture and sadly, it is now drawing to a close. I suppose the inevitability of it was that it focused solely on Formula Ford and as such, this did restrict it's market.

The next thing to look at though, which Mr Chatburn has touched on, is to try and keep it going. If the contributors were still willing to contribute and someone would take over the running of the site, could it be kept going?

Someone with web experience would be the ideal candidate. The subscription idea would work if it was to pay a wage for someone that could make it a part-time occupation, or even full time.

Do we know of anyone that would want to, or indeed could, take over the running of the site?

I think I know someone, but it would have to pay a wage!!!!!
Old 6 Oct 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1729750)   #25
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy
Whilst I thoroughly agree with this sentiment, sadly I don't think it would work.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it usually hits the spot. Everyone enjoys reading the reports etc on the website, but when it comes to putting hands in pockets, most people would take a step back. It has already been raised. WANT and NEED. A perfect example of this is the classified section. We all know it's there and yet, although everyone knows it will support the website to advertise there, most people choose to put their items for sale on the numerous FREE Classified sites.

Whilst the decision to close isn't based on a financial one, but a time one, we have to respect those involved in that.

Well done Ian and Matt and everyone else involved in the website. It has been a brilliant venture and sadly, it is now drawing to a close. I suppose the inevitability of it was that it focused solely on Formula Ford and as such, this did restrict it's market.

The next thing to look at though, which Mr Chatburn has touched on, is to try and keep it going. If the contributors were still willing to contribute and someone would take over the running of the site, could it be kept going?

Someone with web experience would be the ideal candidate. The subscription idea would work if it was to pay a wage for someone that could make it a part-time occupation, or even full time.

Do we know of anyone that would want to, or indeed could, take over the running of the site?

I think I know someone, but it would have to pay a wage!!!!!

Dailysportscar.com works well as a subscription based website and they do very well. I am not sure if the journos get paid but the site is very popular.

I would suggest this is the only way to go forward. I would pay £35 a year to read the site if I had to subscribe and I suggest most people would when push comes to shove.

Although Ian has said that it is not financial I am sure it would be still running if the site was able to pay him for his time he puts in. Ian and Matt have passion for FF1600 and also the correct skills to be running the site. Would the site be any good if a non journo took over???????

FF1600 is not a good site because it looks pretty but it is good because the lads do have an understand on how to write about racing correctly. We dont all agree with what they write but at least it was good copy.

If it can't be done to the same level then it maybe best to call it a day. You might get more people on Ten-Tenths now