Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 1 Oct 2020, 02:35 (Ref:4007725)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2021 NASCAR Big 3

I thought about this earlier today, starting a new thread for this b/c it's pretty ridiculously big news all around but just saw some other news. Mods, feel free to move some 21 discussion from the 20 thread, but whatever...a handful of us are in here?

Schedule for 2021 is a big swing for the fences, a hail mary, a half court shot (what other stick n ball sport analogies can be thrown at this?) I won't repeat my previous comments, just quote them below and throw the proposed schedule in a post, with the biggest news of the crazy changed schedule here: spring race at Bristol will be run on dirt!! Not sure how I missed this earlier as it's in the first paragraph of the article I posted; i was just looking for the below schedule! Walk a mile in my shoes...

Sorry, broad, saw just now that you noticed it too. Good stuff. They got me interested in Bristol again. I'll damn sure watch this and yes, Smoke will find his way in to that one for sure.

Proposed 2021 Cup Series schedule
Feb. 14 | Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway
Feb. 21 | Homestead-Miami (Fla.) Speedway
Feb. 28 | Auto Club (Calif.) Speedway
March 7 | Las Vegas (Nev.) Motor Speedway
March 14 | Phoenix (Ariz.) Raceway
March 21 | Atlanta (Ga.) Motor Speedway
March 28 | Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (dirt)
April 4 | Easter
April 10 | Martinsville (Va.) Speedway
April 18 | Richmond (Va.) Raceway
April 25 | Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway
May 2 | Kansas Speedway
May 9 | Darlington (S.C.) Raceway
May 16 | Dover (Del.) International Speedway
May 23 | Circuit of the Americas (COTA)
May 30 | Charlotte Motor Speedway
June 6 | Sonoma (Calif.) Raceway
June 13 | All-Star Race (Texas Motor Speedway)
June 20 | Nashville (Tenn.) Superspeedway
June 26-27 | Pocono (Pa.) Raceway (doubleheader)
July 4 | Road America
July 11 | Atlanta Motor Speedway
July 18 | New Hampshire Motor Speedway
July 25 | Off Weekend (Olympics)
August 1 | Off Weekend (Olympics)
August 8 | Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International
August 15 | Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course
August 22 | Michigan International Speedway
August 28 | Daytona International Speedway
Sept. 5 | Darlington Raceway
Sept. 11 | Richmond Raceway
Sept. 18 | Bristol Motor Speedway
Sept. 26 | Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Oct. 3 | Talladega Superspeedway
Oct. 10 | Charlotte Roval
Oct. 17 | Texas Motor Speedway
Oct. 24 | Kansas Speedway
Oct. 31 | Martinsville Speedway
Nov. 7 | Phoenix Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Nice to see them bring two races back to the true origins of stockcar racing, but yeah, push it to September, early October. Also, a second race added for Darlington. Taking away from both should not have been done in the first place. Now for the race back at The Rock...

Also of note. They are taking an Olympic Break for the first time ever, there's a double header at Pocono, a race at the Nashville Superspeedway, which I thought was closed, Road America is on July 4th, the summer daytona race is in August and the All Star race is at Texas.

They're throwing the kitchen sink at this!

And took me a minute to find an article with the actual damn schedule!!
https://us.motorsport.com/nascar-cup...edule/4884312/
Old 1 Oct 2020, 07:18 (Ref:4007742)   #2
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, I was trying to take all this in yesterday eve, it really is a big shake up - had the Fan Council chasing opinions too, duly given. All positive for me to be honest except I've never been a big fan of Atlanta - but I'd rather have two Atlanta's than two cookie cutters or one Atlanta and a cookie cutter.

I've not seen a "big series" NASCAR race on dirt. Too young (I think!) so that's going to be an experience.

Road America - I used to love watching CART back in the day here, so this is right at the top of my "looking forward to" list.

Never seen a race at Nashville, so that's high on the list. Darlington I love, always produces something.

My only abiding memory of Chicagoland was an open wheel wreck some years ago - cannot remember NASCAR racing there, even though I've watched on the TV - so presumably dull and uneventful or my memory continues to fail.

More variety of tracks is good; didn't see all this coming, I knew COTA as that was "leaked" and I assumed that and the Fontana reconfiguration would be the big news. Thinking about it Nashville was kind of obvious after the post season "display" last year.

Hopefully this is going to make for more excitement.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 12:14 (Ref:4007776)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 2021 schedule sure is something... and I freakin' love it!
Old 1 Oct 2020, 16:32 (Ref:4007819)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They have run Bristol with dirt recently but for World of Outlaws in 2000 and 2001, FYI lap record on dirt is 13.86. Cup record on concrete is 14.568. Overall concrete record is 12.742 in something called Must See Racing X-treme Speed Classic (winged sprint cars)
Old 2 Oct 2020, 02:07 (Ref:4007869)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That World of Outlaws races were pure insanity. They also ran WoO late models then, which that is what we should compare too, but also type of dirt, banking etc.

Should be fun. I'll watch.
Old 2 Oct 2020, 17:48 (Ref:4008062)   #6
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When NASCAR Cup and Indy cars run together at the Speedway, they HAVE to do a big grid picture on the front straightaway.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 18:41 (Ref:4008562)   #7
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
When NASCAR Cup and Indy cars run together at the Speedway, they HAVE to do a big grid picture on the front straightaway.
What am I missin'? Why's that? Two different series.......

jimclark
Old 5 Oct 2020, 14:33 (Ref:4008688)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Nascar Cup and IndyCar are doing the Indianapolis road course in mid August.
Old 7 Oct 2020, 21:03 (Ref:4009063)   #9
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still why have the dumb stages when you can just do two 200 mile races each weekend. One Saturday and One Sunday. Especially with prac and qual not being a factor anymore. Who cares if there ends up being 50-60 races a year. The only events that need one race is the Daytona 500, Charlotte 600, and Southern 500. That's about it. I would have said Brickyard 400 but that race is in the racing graveyard for now. You'll have to modify your "playoff" format some but NASCAR has tinkered with that a ton already.

Doing this also allow the Grand National series to run races at different locations from the Cup series most of the time. Which is a good thing I think.
Old 8 Oct 2020, 02:33 (Ref:4009094)   #10
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Spire already making money on their charter buying, started with Furniture Row then bought Leavine operation and apparently have a third now. Leasing one to the new Trackhouse Racing team with Daniel Suarez. Satellite Childress car run from the RCR campus.

https://racer.com/2020/10/07/trackho...spire-charter/
Old 8 Oct 2020, 13:14 (Ref:4009159)   #11
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
The Spire guys are ambitious that's for sure.

Wonder who's charter they bought? I'm gonna speculate Hendrick has downsized and it's the 88's.
Old 8 Oct 2020, 15:09 (Ref:4009173)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
If the Woods don't sign Matty D back on for next year I'd say they're nuts having watched Dega, the lad definitely has what it takes and sooner or later is going to get that break through victory.
He's been renewed for a year then he's fired at the end of 2021. Fired so the partner team's chosen one can get the seat, Cindric to drive for Wood Brothers in 2022.

https://racer.com/2020/10/08/dibened...et-ride-in-22/
Old 8 Oct 2020, 21:41 (Ref:4009218)   #13
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Glad he's got the ride for now, hopefully he'll make a big enough impression to land a decent ride elsewhere for '22 - though can't see the big boys like Hendrick, Gibbs, SHR or even RCR having a seat for him.

Cindric has definitely come on in leaps and bounds, so is deserving of the ride. Seems like Penske have the Gibbs problem - more drivers coming through the ranks than they have seats.

If they booted Doosh out of the 22 that would be popular mind you
Old 9 Oct 2020, 07:39 (Ref:4009273)   #14
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Bowyer is done. Off to Fox.

I enjoyed his TV work when we were all locked up, so looking forward to him in the booth fulltime. Witty, knowledgeable and I just like his accent - easy to listen, just like DW was.

Guessing we're due a Kyle Larson in the #14 announcement.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 12:20 (Ref:4009319)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
He's been renewed for a year then he's fired at the end of 2021. Fired so the partner team's chosen one can get the seat, Cindric to drive for Wood Brothers in 2022.

https://racer.com/2020/10/08/dibened...et-ride-in-22/
I guess it was pretty expected, but at least DiBenedetto gets another year behind the wheel of the #21 before he gets the boot. He should be able to get something lined up for '22, especially if he continues to put in good races (and finally break through for that first win).

Quote:

I enjoyed his TV work when we were all locked up, so looking forward to him in the booth fulltime. Witty, knowledgeable and I just like his accent - easy to listen, just like DW was.
Agreed. I think Bowyer is going to be fantastic in the booth

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct - if there's one team owner in the garage willing to give Larson another chance, I'm fairly sure it'd be Stewart.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 23:37 (Ref:4009419)   #16
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct - if there's one team owner in the garage willing to give Larson another chance, I'm fairly sure it'd be Stewart.
If you believe Kelly Crandall on Racer Tony will have to fight Hendrick for his services. In the 88 car.

She thinks Chase Briscoe will end up in the SHR car.

https://racer.com/2020/10/09/nascar-...ate-for-oct-9/
Old 9 Oct 2020, 12:49 (Ref:4009329)   #17
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Bring back real stock cars. On track today at Road Atlanta. Sorry, sitting and eating breakfast so picture through 2 fences
Old 9 Oct 2020, 14:59 (Ref:4009350)   #18
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Looks some machine.

Looks like it just escaped from a museum. I like old fast cars way more than new fast cars.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 17:45 (Ref:4009389)   #19
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Looks some machine.

Looks like it just escaped from a museum. I like old fast cars way more than new fast cars.
And a ton of them. Can you imagine how many cars out there exist that has ran in Cup, Grand National, and ARCA races? There is a class of cars that could be added for an endurance race somewhere. Thunderhill 25 would be a great place to run a car that used to run in the NASCAR Cup series.
Old 9 Oct 2020, 18:37 (Ref:4009400)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
And a ton of them. Can you imagine how many cars out there exist that has ran in Cup, Grand National, and ARCA races? There is a class of cars that could be added for an endurance race somewhere. Thunderhill 25 would be a great place to run a car that used to run in the NASCAR Cup series.
Most are rollers sold for peanuts and placed out front as ads. You can pick up a lot of older cars for cheap but the engines are all over the map. Even engined cars don't sell for high dollar compared to other race machines. And remember some of the more recent cars are just rebodied or sold to other teams to continue racing.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 00:32 (Ref:4010023)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Just for information, SVRA approved cars.
Damn Tapatalk hates text, 20-45k for complete cars. BaT has a couple rollers for 2-4k
Old 20 Oct 2020, 14:15 (Ref:4011657)   #22
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Larson had been reinstated for 2021, can resign with a team but no NASCAR activities until Jan 1
Old 20 Oct 2020, 18:27 (Ref:4011687)   #23
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Yeah, pieces falling into place. My brain still says the #14. Partly as I can see Mr Haas being primary sponsor if KL is a difficult sell. Hendrick would need a sponsor on board who is not too squeamish the young man said the n word once.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 21:42 (Ref:4011711)   #24
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
...and wrong!

It is Chase Briscoe to the 14 bringing the sponsors from the xfinity car.

So two hot young talents in Cole and Chase next year. Hope SHR gives them the necessary time to get in to the groove unlike JGR with its young guns.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 23:42 (Ref:4011717)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, the Briscoe signing was hinted at last week. So far Kelly is dead on right which means if she continues Larson is in the 88 with a sponsor already signed. Don't expect anything before Jan 1 so he can be there so the announcement.

I don't think it's a problem because the main stream media barely mentioned it before. It was a blip and gone. Other that race fans, and the professionally offended, no one will remember or frankly care.