Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Sep 2021, 12:17 (Ref:4075871)   #91
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Lewis has had a (relative) dip in form this season, Max has yet to really experience that. I feel things have dropped into place for Lewis now, and from here on he will increase his lead in the WDC consistently.
Where's LH with his PU allocation?

For sure agree breaking through the 100 barrier will both be liberating and motivating, but cant help but feel like Max walked away from this race in better shape.

very exciting season with it all still left to play for!
Old 27 Sep 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4075872)   #92
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
The psychology aspect is interesting, though of course subject to wild speculation since we can’t know what is going on in someone’s head, we can only infer it from secondary evidence.

I wrote earlier that Hamilton is making too many mistakes. What I should have said is that Hamilton and Mercedes have been making mistakes, full stop. For the last few years their performance level was so high, so consistent, so savagely uncompromising that Hamilton missing a curb was news. This year has been different. They have looked mortal. Why?

Theory one: the extra psychological pressure crmalcolm refers to.
Theory two: having to make higher-risk choices which look like genius when they work, chumps when they don’t.
Theory three: regression to mean. All streaks end. Random chance plays a part. Merc have done nothing different, it just looks that way.
Theory four: Hamilton is a tiny fraction less good than he was. Father Time is unforgiving.
Theory five: whatever your other theory is
Old 27 Sep 2021, 13:08 (Ref:4075888)   #93
Lancsbreaker
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Surprised nobody has mentioned how easily Bottas rolled over for Verstappen. No longer a team player, for sure........well at least the Mercedes team
Old 27 Sep 2021, 13:16 (Ref:4075893)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Lewis had no choice, but to pit. When Max pitted for inters, he had to do the same. As I said in another thread, it’s better that you make the same wrong decision as your main rival, than your rival getting an advantage by him making the right decision and you the wrong one. And considering the gap Norris and Hamilton had over the rest, he would have finished in front of Max anyway

To be fair, I too thought Lando might make it on his slicks, especially as he was keeping pace with the inter shod Mazepin, but as soon as it was raining hard enough for the spray to appear I knew he was a sitting duck. Am I right that Max gained a minute on him on that one lap?

Seeing Lewis and Max take first and second after all that reminds me of that funny Gary Lineker quote which goes something like “football is a simple game where 22 players go at it for 90 minutes and in the end the Germans always win”
Old 27 Sep 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4075920)   #95
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Am I right that Max gained a minute on him on that one lap?
That could be true - he was 57 seconds behind him before pitting for inters, and finished 32 seconds ahead.

Old 27 Sep 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4075925)   #96
Aysedasi
2022?
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned how easily Bottas rolled over for Verstappen. No longer a team player, for sure........well at least the Mercedes team
I was as astonished as DC and MW on C4. There was no effort at all made to protect his position. I guess you could say that Valteri doesn't see why he should, but Merc are presumably still paying him......?
Old 27 Sep 2021, 15:34 (Ref:4075932)   #97
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I was as astonished as DC and MW on C4. There was no effort at all made to protect his position. I guess you could say that Valteri doesn't see why he should, but Merc are presumably still paying him......?

Memories of Sotchi 2018?

I would have thought they would be paying up until his contract ends.
Old 27 Sep 2021, 16:18 (Ref:4075947)   #98
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well overall that was a really good race and some interesting side stories like the bottas showing what he thinks of mercedes at the moment, wonder it they might try to get russell in the car for the last few races?
Old 27 Sep 2021, 16:26 (Ref:4075955)   #99
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don’t think there is much in this.

The only way to defend would have been to do a last second change of direction as Max was a lot quicker at that stage. To do so would have been dangerous.

Stay on the outside, Max nips down the inside. You lose minimal time. Defend on the inside, Max can stay on the line and will be past by the turn in point (IIRC) and he loses minimal time.

He was a sitting duck.

I’m surprised he generally didn’t drive quicker!

Ultimately Bottas is leaving because Mercedes have better alternatives. They’ve done good by him and I am sure he appreciated. Not everyone looks for reasons to be vengeful.
Old 27 Sep 2021, 16:30 (Ref:4075957)   #100
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well overall that was a really good race and some interesting side stories like the bottas showing what he thinks of mercedes at the moment, wonder it they might try to get russell in the car for the last few races?
As I said I don’t think Bottas is doing anything like that on purpose. Mainly because he is a decent person.

But maybe consider the swap early. However what are the pros and cons.

Pros. Gets Russell some Merc seat time to get ready for next year.
Con. Disruptive.

Unknown. Will it help this year? Would Russell do a better job at scoring points for constructors and support Hamilton. Obviously they think he is ultimately better, but better enough now to overcome the disruption?
Old 27 Sep 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4075958)   #101
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
im glad neither Bottas or Perez got in the middle of it.

if it happens naturally and without compromising their own race strategies, then sure defend your position aggressively but i dont want to see either go out of their way to do it.

i suspect the first team that does so will eat it in the media and online to the point of wishing they had not done it. as angry as everyone gets nowdays, i question how many really want to see a win at any cost?
Old 27 Sep 2021, 22:03 (Ref:4075993)   #102
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
On Lap 49, at the time Norris rejected the call for Inters, there were 10 other cars out still on slicks. Potentially, the move to Inters (knowing that it guarantees you lose 25 seconds) could have seen him drop 10 places.
Only if they would have been able to make up 1 minute in the remaing 4 laps.

Ocon (in 10th) was 1'20" behind after lap 48.
And that top 10 includes Verstappen, Sainz and Ricciardo who at the end of lap 48 stopped for inters.

So that 10th slick-shot car is even further behind.
Giovinazzi in 16th at 1'57"?
Stroll (12th) pitted at the end of lap 48, Bottas (13th) and Russell (14th) at the end of lap 47.
Old 28 Sep 2021, 02:50 (Ref:4076030)   #103
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the podium!Skam85 has a real shot at the podium!Skam85 has a real shot at the podium!Skam85 has a real shot at the podium!Skam85 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Personally I reckon what we're seeing is the performance balance has shifted this year due the aero regulation changes at the rear of the car (to compensate for the front wing changes earlier that hit RB harder than Mercedes).

The RB/Max package has just been really strong this year. If it hadn't been for Silverstone and Hungary, the championship would not nearly have been as tight still.
and Baku
Old 28 Sep 2021, 04:34 (Ref:4076033)   #104
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Where's LH with his PU allocation?

For sure agree breaking through the 100 barrier will both be liberating and motivating, but cant help but feel like Max walked away from this race in better shape.

very exciting season with it all still left to play for!
Component usage Chilli

https://maxf1.net/en/2021-f1-power-unit-elements-usage/

Interesting too:

https://maxf1.net/en/2021-italian-gp...-last-engines/