Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Mar 2004, 16:48 (Ref:898211)   #1
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
lifeline-fire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT30 Help required

I own a Ralt RT30 VW Formula 3 car chassis number RT30 567. I am advised on TNF that the car was Driven by Dave Scott sponsored by Swift Caravans and run by Mint Engineering in 1985 where it won two rounds of the British F3 championship. In 1986 it was sold to Lynx Engineering and driven by Paul Stott. In 1987 Steve Bottoms bought the car and ran it for one possibly two years. The trail then goes very cold. I bought it in 1995 from a guy in Yorkshire. My first question is according to my research Dave Scott competed at Monaco in 1985 finishing fourth. Can anyone advise me if this was in his British championship car run by Mint Engineering or did he have a one off drive with another team and car. Secondly does anyone know what happened to the car between 1988 and 1994/5.
Any information would be gratefully received

Kind regards

Jim
Old 8 Mar 2004, 18:37 (Ref:898346)   #2
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jim,

Since I gave you the original info. on -567, just to mention that Dave Scott started 1985 with a updated RT3 (RT3P) for Richard Dutton Racing, so not sure when Mint Engineering received 567. I saw him in the RT3 in March, and first saw the RT30 in July so it doesn't help much.

Haven't managed to find anything after Bottoms either, sorry.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 10:47 (Ref:899240)   #3
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
Jeremy

Thank you
I have recieved a copy of the April 14th round of 1985 bought on Ebay which quite clearly states that Dave Scott was driving an RT3 for Richard Dutton. I need to find a set of 1985 Autosports to look at. It must have been written about when he changed from Richard Dutton to Mint. I would really like to know which car he drove when he finished fourth at Monaco in 1985. The results I have state he was driving an RT30 VW but do not indicate the team running the car.

Kindest regards

JIM

Regards

JIM
Old 9 Mar 2004, 14:21 (Ref:899490)   #4
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory Mint was Scott's 'family team', though he was run by Intersport in 1981-83, the latter year in F2. I guess Intersport/Glenn Waters was involved with Mint that year with Scott. Maybe the team was called Mint to avoid any conflicts of interest with the other Intersport drivers.

Dutton's team ran various drivers that year, and for many years prior to that, in FF2000 and Sports 2000. I think they mainly concentrated on F3 Class B at that time. Can't think why Scott was with them. From memory Glenn Waters devised an RT3 'update kit' that year, so I'd have thought Scott would have been in one of these rather than a Dutton car.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 15:07 (Ref:899516)   #5
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Dan,

Scott was a stand-in for a guy called Dan Stover in Dutton's RT3 in the first few F3 races of 1985. This is from my programme and photos. Still carrying his Swift Caravans logos of course. I assume he drove this until the Mint RT30 was delivered.

Jim, seems reasonable that it was the Mint car at Monaco, but I'll see what I can trawl for you.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 15:11 (Ref:899523)   #6
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
Dan
Thank you for the reply. It is quite funny because when I bought the car I was advised by the vendor that it was an ex intersport chassis. I spoke to Glenn Waters to try and confirm this but he had no record of the chassis numbers he ran. I can support Jeremy in the fact that Richard Dutton did run Scott in an RT3 for the first few races of 85. This car would have had to run to the new flat bottom regs intoduced for 85. Waters did produce the update kit for RT3s but I am aware he was the only one who did as Ralt did not seem to be interested in supplying them, probably to busy in making new cars to the new regulation. Looking at the entry list of the first round of the 85 British F3 championship then Scott was entered in an RT30 VW under the Mint Engineering banner. However the program (Which I purchased of ebay) has a few notes on it and there is a did not start next to Scotts name. However his name has been put next to car no 22 driven by an American Ray Stover which was a RT3 run by Richard Dutton. Scotts car must not have been ready in time for the start of the season and he opted to drive for Dutton. Am I correct in stating that Scott had taken a bit of a backward step in 1985 and come back to F3 from F2 to rejuvinate his career. Dan if you had any access to the 85 Monaco F3 race I would be very interested to see who ran Scotts car.
Kind regards

JIM
Old 9 Mar 2004, 15:15 (Ref:899531)   #7
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Thanks for the correction Jim, couldn't read my own programme alterations. Ray Stover, not Dan!
Old 9 Mar 2004, 15:16 (Ref:899533)   #8
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
Jeremy

Thank you, Funny I came accross the Ray Stover info just as you were posting.

Kind regards

JIM
Old 9 Mar 2004, 16:11 (Ref:899578)   #9
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim, no sorry nothing else on the Scott cars in 85, esp the Monaco matter. F3 was good in 85, almost a brand new start after years of RT3s winning it all. I recall being flabbergasted at the Reynards early on, it seemed incredible that something other than a Ralt could win in F3 at that time !

Scott I thought was one of those who lost his way rather. He looked very good in F3 in 81, not bad in 82, but went gradually downhill from his first F2 start at Silverstone. He did win though in F3 85, so I guess he still had something in him, against a pretty competitive field, Gugelmin, Wallace,Spence, Ross C, van Kouwen etc.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 19:37 (Ref:4078496)   #10
Paul Stott
Rookie

Paul Stott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The RT30 was Dave Scotts and then bought by me Paul Stott for the B class Races in 1986.
We won 2 races in this Car which was run by Nick Potter Lynx Engineering from Grantham
Nick worked for Richard Dutton Previously and ran my FF1600 and Sports 2000
for Richard Dutton Racing.
We did run an Rt3 with Richard at the end of 1985 which was my First win in F3
at snetterton.
The RT 30 was a fantastic car
Just for ref Dave Scott got a testing contract with Lotus F1.
In 1987 I then Raced in F3 for Eddie Jordan with Johnny Herbert as Team mate
I hope this hel[ps with RT30 BUT WOULD LOVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE IT A RUN AGAIN