Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Oct 2021, 19:05 (Ref:4077100)   #576
Paige
Rookie

United States
Southeast Texas
Paige should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What's everyone's take on that? Was it justified or was there something else going on or something? Seems an odd time to do it, but maybe that's just me
If it turns out he was let go, it's disappointing but I understand why. Olivier's shown that he's a talented driver but the guy's, unfortunately, been possibly the worst full-time driver in the DPi class this season in terms of performance & not making mistakes. It's been a shame.

While MSR's struggles this season haven't solely been due on the drivers (their crew is quick but their strategy calls at times have been questionable; also, I think there's been a bit of an adjustment period going back to the top class from GTD after several years & it being a much stronger class than when they left), Olivier's had multiple incidents on track that set them back during race weekends.

I like the guy but he's made multiple errors this season in practice, qualifying, and the race itself. Long Beach was the latest in a few examples (Practice 1 & the race itself). I've actually been a little surprised at how mistake-prone he's been this year. Didn't expect him to struggle this much even on tracks he'd never been to (actually was surprised at how many tracks he hadn't been to before this season).
Old 5 Oct 2021, 19:35 (Ref:4077104)   #577
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
If it turns out he was let go, it's disappointing but I understand why. Olivier's shown that he's a talented driver but the guy's, unfortunately, been possibly the worst full-time driver in the DPi class this season in terms of performance & not making mistakes. It's been a shame.

While MSR's struggles this season haven't solely been due on the drivers (their crew is quick but their strategy calls at times have been questionable; also, I think there's been a bit of an adjustment period going back to the top class from GTD after several years & it being a much stronger class than when they left), Olivier's had multiple incidents on track that set them back during race weekends.

I like the guy but he's made multiple errors this season in practice, qualifying, and the race itself. Long Beach was the latest in a few examples (Practice 1 & the race itself). I've actually been a little surprised at how mistake-prone he's been this year. Didn't expect him to struggle this much even on tracks he'd never been to (actually was surprised at how many tracks he hadn't been to before this season).
You've hit the nail on the head. If Pla was a problem worthy of being fired, then more than a few crew members needed to be let go months ago. Somehow you're gonna go faster being slower, going slower AND pitting an extra time at Laguna?? Really? At best you would maybe be close but in reality they were always gonna be at the back of the line. And they are WELL behind the WTR car, same car and notebooks to an extent.
Old 6 Oct 2021, 13:43 (Ref:4077201)   #578
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think this could run and run. Certainly Pla seems to be made a bit of a scapegoat. I mean was he the only problem? I don't think so.
Old 9 Oct 2021, 19:29 (Ref:4077641)   #579
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
There was a race. Bit of bumpy bumps. Winners, losers, guaranteed podium, etc.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 01:26 (Ref:4077707)   #580
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
There was a race. Bit of bumpy bumps. Winners, losers, guaranteed podium, etc.
I generally grumble about any safety car at VIR, but that one mid race was needed as the #66 Acura took a hard hit there. Grass does not hold races cars back much. Most of VIR is so wide open its ok if you go off rigth but he went off left. I did bring Estre back to the Corvettes. Got exciting there for a period of time. GTD was a battle too with all the pros dooking it out. The mid race safety car rendered the effort of the Am drivers to be not too big of a deal unless you had an off course exursion in the first half of race that made you lose more than a lap.

Great all GT race once more. Wish it got some more attention, but IMSA seems to have trouble generating much pubicity, attention, and viewership anymore beyond the 36 hours of Florida races and maybe Petit Le Mans.

I've said this before but will say it here, the prototypes from DPI, P2, and P3 is just not intreresting from top to bottom. GTLM has faded now, GTD is good but you can get good GT3 racing with SRO and DTM without the protos taking TV time away. Never thougth I'd watch DTM more than IMSA but this year that has been the case.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4077882)   #581
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently there was quite the save in LMP3. Spins, gets on two wheels, nearly flips, gets it pointed in right direction and wins race!

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1447...3z6IA-I9Q&s=19
Old 11 Oct 2021, 09:40 (Ref:4077991)   #582
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now that was close. So close to throwing it away there, yet brilliant recovery
Old 11 Oct 2021, 13:55 (Ref:4078029)   #583
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Apparently there was quite the save in LMP3. Spins, gets on two wheels, nearly flips, gets it pointed in right direction and wins race!

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1447...3z6IA-I9Q&s=19
She came back! Impressive. Down a couple of gears and off you go!

Well done to the rule makers for the aero that discourages that flipping.
Old 13 Oct 2021, 11:48 (Ref:4078304)   #584
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://racer.com/2021/10/12/pruett-bring-the-noise/

Have not agreed this much with Marshall Pruett in a long time. Yes Yes and Yes. Glad to see he liked the V.I.R race. It was certainly intense.
Old 13 Oct 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4078354)   #585
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't seen the race but from his description a NASCAR race broke out and maybe there was some no contact action?? Personally getting tired of the touring car attitude and then suddenly here's comes penalties. Either all season like this or penalize contact but nothing in his article makes me want to watch the race. It's not a purity of no contact and "gentlemanly" racing but rather just some consistency. Punting a car off, that's a paddlin; stick your nose in and dump a class leader, that's a paddlin; dump a car in a class/lap speed lower, that's a paddlin; send a car in to the wall, that's a paddlin;

rubbing WITHIN class for position, that's allowed without banging, it's a subtle thing not sledgehammer; revenge dumping a car/team, that's a parking.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4078420)   #586
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I was really surprised when there was no penalty for pushing off the proton. Sure each of the Corvettes had received previous contact from it, but the last shove by Corvette coming out of oak tree with the proton playing stadium truck seemed a bit much. Proton passes happened with everyone staying on track.

Oh well. Roll on petit with final bmw and gtlm class appearances
Old 14 Oct 2021, 12:20 (Ref:4078425)   #587
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Just one of these days, with the race director swallowing his whistle, a driver will take matters into their own hands. I was a little surprised the Porsche driver didn't just decide to take out both the Corvettes and win the race, because now that's the sort of driving that's IMSA encourages.

Think of this moment next time you preach BS about IMSA's unwavering commitment to safety trying to justify their ridiculous FCY procedures.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4078432)   #588
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Just one of these days, with the race director swallowing his whistle, a driver will take matters into their own hands. I was a little surprised the Porsche driver didn't just decide to take out both the Corvettes and win the race, because now that's the sort of driving that's IMSA encourages.

Think of this moment next time you preach BS about IMSA's unwavering commitment to safety trying to justify their ridiculous FCY procedures.
Has nothing to do with safety, REPEAT AFTER ME, it's 100% insurance requirements of on track assistance/recovery
Old 14 Oct 2021, 13:35 (Ref:4078433)   #589
S griffin
Veteran

It’s still standard procedure, that they don’t know any different. That’s probably more the reason
Old 14 Oct 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4078457)   #590
WyldStallion
Veteran

Betcha Petit Le Mans GTLM could end up just like Sebring. R.L.L BMW vs Corvette vs Weathertech battles have been very intense so far this year. Its been a while so its easy to forget. GTLM at Road Atlanta will be a race to remember I"m sure. The R.L.L. team have not won yet this year but they have "brought it" for sure.

Funny that my sentiments for Corvette changes from race to race depdending where they are. I was cheering for them hard at Le Mans 24H, but in IMSA I have been cheering for R.L.L and Weathertech.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4078459)   #591
S griffin
Veteran

I think it’s unlikely the form book will be different, BMW are still going strong and so are their main rivals. The series may be going through tough times, but there is still enough to get excited about. I just hope the PLM lives up to it’s billing. I am sure we will be entertained no matter what.

Certainly the GTLM will be the class to watch, but hopefully the other class will be good enough. It’s what the series deserves
Old 14 Oct 2021, 17:11 (Ref:4078471)   #592
C6R Racing Fan
Racer

United States
Ohio, USA
C6R Racing Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridC6R Racing Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McClaren 720s GT3 run by Inception Racing out of the UK in for GTD at Petit.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 17:15 (Ref:4078472)   #593
S griffin
Veteran

Now that’s an interesting prospect. I’m sure the McLaren can do well, but it will be against a lot of tough opposition
Old 15 Oct 2021, 12:23 (Ref:4078584)   #594
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6R Racing Fan View Post
McClaren 720s GT3 run by Inception Racing out of the UK in for GTD at Petit.
I was just coming to this thread to post that!

https://www.endurance-info.com/auto/...aren-au-depart

I think that will be a fan favorite. We haven't seen much McLaren action in the IMSA GT3 class. I know compass ran some, but it will be nice to have some a new car to look at!
Old 15 Oct 2021, 12:36 (Ref:4078586)   #595
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, it's been limited to Sprint Cup only previously. Just been a few GT4s
Old 15 Oct 2021, 13:55 (Ref:4078592)   #596
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was just coming to this thread to post that!

https://www.endurance-info.com/auto/...aren-au-depart

I think that will be a fan favorite. We haven't seen much McLaren action in the IMSA GT3 class. I know compass ran some, but it will be nice to have some a new car to look at!
So, does this mean that McLaren upped their manufacturer fee investment from sprint cup only to the big show? Did I miss that?
Old 15 Oct 2021, 14:09 (Ref:4078595)   #597
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
That's a good looking car.

As for the fee, are there different levels? I kinda assumed it was the same dollar amount matter the class.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 18:24 (Ref:4078627)   #598
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
They did offer a lower price a couple years ago for Sprint only but that appeared to be a that year thing. But it's IMSA and they don't tell us nothing so. Maybe single race entry does not require such payment but we peons aren't important enough to know
Old 16 Oct 2021, 19:56 (Ref:4078757)   #599
S griffin
Veteran

Obviously the costs have got high, so something needs to be done. The series isn’t in great shape as it is
Old 19 Oct 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4079101)   #600
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Looks like Winward will be bringing their GT3 car to Petit and dropping the GT4 car.