Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Apr 2004, 17:34 (Ref:936615)   #1
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Look BTCC

I would just like to say I think Alan Gow has done an excellent job on his return to the BTCC.

Having just watched the excellent coverage from Thruxton on MotorTv, the new three race format definitely gets my vote. The racing was very close and there was plenty of overtaking especially in race 2 with the reversed gid.

The support races were also excellent, really enjoyed the Formula BMW.

Great job Alan
Old 11 Apr 2004, 18:33 (Ref:936651)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 19:53 (Ref:936686)   #3
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I saw on ITV I would say he's done a more then excellent job! Well done, can't wait for next time out!

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 11 Apr 2004, 19:56 (Ref:936691)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not just the racing, the whole presentation of the TV programme is much better. Graphics - gone are the dodgy yellow and blue scheme with some red which to me looks classy. In car cameras seem to be far much better quality, if a little bit intermittant.

But...the BTCC is back!
Old 11 Apr 2004, 20:11 (Ref:936700)   #5
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shame that ITV didn't show all the action from rounds 1 and 2, I thought it would be two 15 min highlight runs but all they did was a 30 second re-cap which to me was a shame as there was alot going on. Tho I have MotorsTV I stick to the ITV stuff and was disappointed by what ITV did with the first 2 races but the 3rd was great.

On the subject of the 'racing' i'll agree with all of you, Alan has done a great job, close racing and some very impressive drives!
Old 11 Apr 2004, 21:06 (Ref:936735)   #6
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah the highlights were poor thats my only fault with it.
well done alan gow, and well done watson-smith! go proton!
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 11 Apr 2004, 21:08 (Ref:936738)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I am just back from Thruxton. All I have to say was is wow they where 3 fantastic races, let just hope the next 27 are as a good. Can't wait for Brands in 2 weeks time
Old 11 Apr 2004, 23:28 (Ref:936840)   #8
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great touring car races. great coverage all day well done motors tv
Old 11 Apr 2004, 23:45 (Ref:936846)   #9
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm going to chime in with predictable agreeing-ness!

Amazing that you can see 10 races a day, and all of them kept your attention througout!

Also notable that Motors TV didn't have an advert break during racing action ONCE during those whole 10 races!!

A great start for FBMW, and the Clios were exciting as ever.

And the BTCC races, well, that race 2 was pretty tense wasn't it, watching for lap after lap to see if Plato can hold off Muller...fantastic stuff.

It works!
Old 11 Apr 2004, 23:49 (Ref:936848)   #10
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watson-Smith's performance today has really made a lot of people sit up and listen (or watch!). He has definitely gained a few fans today and hopefully he can get that Proton up the order a bit - I would love to see him on the podium!!!
Old 12 Apr 2004, 05:59 (Ref:936979)   #11
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah great racing guys and I enjoyed the 3 sprint format however call me thick but if the result of race 1 results in the grid being reversed for race 2 with the winner starting at the back then where's the incentive to really go for it balls on the dash in race 1???
Old 12 Apr 2004, 08:14 (Ref:937058)   #12
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by oily oaf
Yeah great racing guys and I enjoyed the 3 sprint format however call me thick but if the result of race 1 results in the grid being reversed for race 2 with the winner starting at the back then where's the incentive to really go for it balls on the dash in race 1???
Unless your in a top 5 position, there isn't!

As Plato said, it was better for him to finish lower down with a very light car, so that he could have a real chance of victory in race two.

Its a bit artificial, but it really was good racing, especially as this was the first round of the year, which usually doesn't have the level of action that we saw yesterday
Old 12 Apr 2004, 08:38 (Ref:937086)   #13
Rene
Rookie

Rene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit, I found the slow-bicycle race across the line in race 1, by Plato, Chilton and Watson-Smith to be a little disconcerting, especially with Rob Collard steaming up on them. There's potential there for a nasty situation, imagine 8th 9th & 10th slowing, and 11th 12th and 13th racing, all going for 9th & 10th place. Maybe a total grid reverse, with no weight penalties until the 3rd race would be better.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 08:47 (Ref:937098)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SPARK Msport
Tho I have MotorsTV I stick to the ITV stuff
Why?
Old 12 Apr 2004, 08:48 (Ref:937104)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by oily oaf
The incentive is points!

And it's only the top 10 who're reversed.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 10:43 (Ref:937174)   #16
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll get me coat
Old 12 Apr 2004, 14:12 (Ref:937312)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having just watched the TV Coverage from yesterday, I still have the same feeling about this year BTCC, as I did as I left Thruxton yesterday. It is going to be mega. Looks like we could be going back to the good old days.....
Old 12 Apr 2004, 15:19 (Ref:937341)   #18
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rene
Must admit, I found the slow-bicycle race across the line in race 1, by Plato, Chilton and Watson-Smith to be a little disconcerting, especially with Rob Collard steaming up on them.
I must admit that the reversed top 10 and weight penalties are the only things I have a problem with in the new BTCC. I like the idea of three races, but reversing the top 10 and wacking weight on the quickest cars is too artificial for my purist liking

It would be good to see a whole season where good on-track performances are indicative of a) Good team development; b) A brillint piece of driving. I don't like the fact that some 'good' (or bad) performances are due to relative weight differences.

Does anyone think the BTCC has yet grown to a point strong enough to consider getting rid of weight penalties?
Old 12 Apr 2004, 15:29 (Ref:937347)   #19
md28
Rookie

md28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by krt917
I must admit that the reversed top 10 and weight penalties are the only things I have a problem with in the new BTCC. I like the idea of three races, but reversing the top 10 and wacking weight on the quickest cars is too artificial for my purist liking

It would be good to see a whole season where good on-track performances are indicative of a) Good team development; b) A brillint piece of driving. I don't like the fact that some 'good' (or bad) performances are due to relative weight differences.

Does anyone think the BTCC has yet grown to a point strong enough to consider getting rid of weight penalties?
I agree that the weight penalties and reverse top 10 is a bit fake and that 3 pure races showing the best at their best would be the better otption, but i feel that VX or another high runner will run away with the championship yet again. I think we need to get a more consistant result of wins and performances before pure races are brought back in, but that would be the best.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 17:23 (Ref:937419)   #20
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless there was 6 fully works teams on the grid, the weight penalties have to stay.

They're not ideal, but it makes for more interesting racing when the cars are closer.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 17:48 (Ref:937440)   #21
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race 2 is always going to be a lottery - get a light car, high up the grid and defend like mad. Not sure if I like it or not
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:08 (Ref:937941)   #22
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SPARK Msport
Tho I have MotorsTV I stick to the ITV stuff.
yeah why?

i'd give my right arm to have motors tv but my parents dont want any of those new fangiled gagd
ets in and on the house.

i thought the whole presentation was better, the only critiscism would be that the highlights where very short.

also the graphics for positions and names where unreadable in the font chosen - too blocky.

also i felt that the camermen missed a lot of the action (from what itv showed anyway) when people went off we had no idea why / who had hit them.

for the future i think they ought to show the second race live as theres likely to be more action.

- note to teams -
get your cars liverys finalised for the media day, theres official merchandise with the wrong liverys on them!
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:13 (Ref:937947)   #23
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
just thougt i'd add that there was a different winner in each class for all 3 races which is great for unpredictabitley.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:18 (Ref:937953)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Now all the BTCC needs is some entries from BMW and a few 2004 spec Alfas. Does anyone think that the 2004 Alfas with their excellent engine could out perform the BTCC cars?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:20 (Ref:937956)   #25
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
im not sure i dont really follow the etcc, allthough i think plato / seats win will make other etcc manufacturers think again about the btcc.