Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Sep 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1413287)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Down to 15 cars for Brands?

Arena Motorsport will be off to run the Zytek at the ALMS, so will finish the season as they started it...absent!
Old 21 Sep 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1413291)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had figured that one out when it was confirmed that Tom was of to the states to do PLM in the Zytek. Remember that Andy Neate is going to be out in the Astra and I also think that Jason Hughes might make another appearance, so all is not lost.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1413320)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jason Hughes should be out there, but Andy Neate is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" entries.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1413428)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The team definitely has the car in their workshop, whether they have the funds to run it I do not know.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1414034)   #5
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't begrudge Tom and the Arena boys not being there -- they've got a very real chance of winning the Petit which is (IMHO) the third most important endurance race in the world (after Le Mans and Sebring). Tom's demonstrated this year that if you're quick in the BTCC you have the potential to be quick anywhere - don't think of this as a missing car, think of it as a tribute to what the BTCC can do for a young driver's career!
Old 22 Sep 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1414046)   #6
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Andy Neate and Jason Hughes will be at Brands, so it will be 17 cars.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1414058)   #7
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fantastic that Jason is doing another round. Had a feeling he'd fancy being in the final meeting.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1414109)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's been a shame that Jason Hughes hasn't been able to afford the entire season, they've been really strong when they've beenn out there, well ahead of the other backmarkers, and could feasibly have scored points at every round.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1414123)   #9
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
It's been a shame that Jason Hughes hasn't been able to afford the entire season, they've been really strong when they've beenn out there, well ahead of the other backmarkers, and could feasibly have scored points at every round.
But remember they did hand pick events they knew they would be strong at. Nevertheless, they have been impressive this season when they have made appearances.

On another matter, Brands Hatch should be wet for the season finale, it has every other time Jason has appeared! I don't know if they've even run slicks on the car yet!
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1414131)   #10
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a lot of time for Jason Hughes and the way he goes racing. He wasn't quick when he started off in that old Primera, but he drove the MG as hard as he could and generally didn't make many mistakes. He's precisely the kind of driver the BTCC needs to have around if it's to survive - we'll always need something more than the 8-10 race winners in cars run on substantial budgets.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1414667)   #11
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im hoping this ga alfa will materilise for brands, their website still says they're planning to do the last races of the season, also on the driver page it says they're be doing a full season with jamie in 06
Old 23 Sep 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1414791)   #12
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ive also been impressed with Jason Hughes, he's usually been there or thereabouts at the end of races, not far behind the works drivers. He's almost done too well in that he finishes higher than 10th in most of the races and therefore never gets a front row start for race 3! Would love to see him on pole for the last race of the year...
Old 23 Sep 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1414919)   #13
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A full season from Jason next year would be good, he's a pretty decent driver and seems to have an organised and determined team behind him. I doubt he'd ever win races in a works car, but I didn't think Collard would be truly competitive for WSR either.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1415282)   #14
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Adams
im hoping this ga alfa will materilise for brands, their website still says they're planning to do the last races of the season, also on the driver page it says they're be doing a full season with jamie in 06

It won't happen.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1415302)   #15
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Its the first time the sites been updated in a while. Would be nice to see the Alfa.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1415313)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Sceptic's scepticism seems well-placed here - GA have been making promises they never had any realistic hope of keeping for the whole season. I feel sorry for Gary Ayles, having his name dragged through the mud by this, I'm sure many aren't aware that he hasn't been involved in all this.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1415323)   #17
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Sceptic's scepticism seems well-placed here - GA have been making promises they never had any realistic hope of keeping for the whole season. I feel sorry for Gary Ayles, having his name dragged through the mud by this, I'm sure many aren't aware that he hasn't been involved in all this.
Yeah, its Mark Thompson that runs the operation now. Anyway, 2006 should allow Gary Ayles to prove he can still run a team - he's buying two 156s.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1415333)   #18
sceptic
Veteran

Yes, it's good that Gary is going to be running a team again - but a shame that he hasn't learnt from previous mistakes and and is going for Alfas again.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1415336)   #19
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Yes, it's good that Gary is going to be running a team again - but a shame that he hasn't learnt from previous mistakes and and is going for Alfas again.
He ran Alfas very successfully in the Production Class, plus his Super 2000 156 was fairly competitive in the hands of Stefan Hodgetts - Also, with the series going fully Super 2000 within the next few years, it wouldn't make sense to start running a BTC-Touring spec car. The Alfa is probabily the safest bet for a privateer.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1415342)   #20
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
He ran Alfas very successfully in the Production Class, plus his Super 2000 156 was fairly competitive in the hands of Stefan Hodgetts - Also, with the series going fully Super 2000 within the next few years, it wouldn't make sense to start running a BTC-Touring spec car. The Alfa is probabily the safest bet for a privateer.
I'd have thought buying a couple of second-hand ex-Tean Halfords Integras would be a much better bet.

...and actually, the old Civic isn't exactly uncompetitive in Chilton's hands.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1415350)   #21
Alfa Fan
Veteran

But they're only good for one year, before the Super 2000 only rules begin. Gary wouldn't want to buy a car just for one year IMO, doesn't make sense economically.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1415439)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
The Integra would proabbly be more competitive than the 156, it could probably be converted to Super 2000 specs, and it will be easier to get finance to get new cars if neccessary after a competitive season. It would also give Gary a chance to make a clean break from his old team, and surely upstage them on track?
Old 24 Sep 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1415450)   #23
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Why would Integras be better than 156s? Both run at the front of the grid in there respective championships. I'm not talking about old 156s btw, I mean the new ones.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1415470)   #24
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The Integra would proabbly be more competitive than the 156, it could probably be converted to Super 2000 specs, and it will be easier to get finance to get new cars if neccessary after a competitive season.
You'd end up throwing most of the car away to convert it. A waste of money. He's better off buying new Alfas, as he has contacts from his time in Italy and who knows, maybe he could persuade his old buddy Fab Gio to help out!
Old 24 Sep 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1415613)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The Integras are only 2-doors, they'd need to be 4-door to be eligable for S2000. Same problem with the Astras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
Why would Integras be better than 156s? Both run at the front of the grid in there respective championships. I'm not talking about old 156s btw, I mean the new ones.
Same could be said for the BMWs but ask Edenbridge how useful they were in the BTCC. I'm not saying the 156 is a bad car, far from it, but like the others I'm not convinced it's a viable option this far away from factory support.