Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Oct 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1421644)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[BTCC] Brands Hatch GP

Dan Eaves sets up pole position in his Integra Type-R, as Gavin Smith puts his best performance of the year in to qualify ahead of team mate and outside championship contender Yvan Muller.

Likely champion Matt Neal lines up 5th on the grid in his Honda.

Qualifying:
Code:
 1 Dan Eaves		Team Halfords		1:32.586
 2 Gavin Smith		VX Racing		1:32.986
 3 Yvan Muller		VX Racing		1:33.040
 4 Gareth Howell	Team Halfords		1:33.194
5 Matt Neal		Team Halfords		1:33.206
 6 Rob Collard		West Surrey Racing	1:33.291
 7 Colin Turkington	VX Racing		1:33.382
8 Luke Hines		Seat Sport UK		1:34.437
 9 James Kaye		Syncho Motorsport	1:34.782
10 Jason Plato		Seat Sport UK		1:33.161 [+ penalty]
11 James Pickford	Seat Sport UK		1:36.037
12 Richard Williams	HPI Racing		1:36.290
13 Jason Hughes		Kartworld Racing	1:36.416
14 Ian Curley		HPI Racing		1:36.563
15 Andy Neate		Daniels 		1:36.917
16 Mark Proctor		Fast-Tec 		No 'competitive' time
17 Fiona Leggate	Tech-Speed		No time

Last edited by Hazard; 1 Oct 2005 at 16:14.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1421684)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Solid enough start for Matt, he will be glad of Plato's penalty meaning that the only car in between himself and Yvan is his team-mate. Good effort by Collard to prevent it being a Dynamics/VX benefit.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1421833)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the no "competitive" time for Proctor... something to do with ripping the front off the car in the second practice I reckon!

It was a nightmare today, red flag after red flag... still, looking forward to tomorrow, haven't been to a BTCC race this year, and I'd forgotten what the atmosphere was like.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1421985)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A very good and clean first race I thought, Eaves won from Muller and Plato. Neal in 4th.

Championship gap now 26 points...
Old 2 Oct 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1422012)   #5
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
plato wins 2nd race
eaves
neal
howell
smith
pickford
kaye

does that mean muller has lost the champ to neal
Old 2 Oct 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1422013)   #6
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what happened to Muller in race 2? Neal was right behind him and then he just dropped down the order of the timing window... hope there was no foul play..
Old 2 Oct 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1422016)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSportRacer
does that mean muller has lost the champ to neal
Neal's 36 points ahead and Muller can only gain 17 in the final race so I guess so!
Old 2 Oct 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1422025)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
So what happened to Muller in race 2? Neal was right behind him and then he just dropped down the order of the timing window... hope there was no foul play..
Muller and Neal collided and Muller got a puncture for his troubles putting him, first, in the gravel and then in the pits...
Old 2 Oct 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1422084)   #9
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What bad coverage by ITV for the final race! We'll be showing the 3rd race live!!! Yes from lap 7 when all the excitement has happened and the race has got boring.

Well done to Matt Neal though!
Old 2 Oct 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1422100)   #10
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good days racing. Plato was a little less cheeky than he has been since Croft but Howell did some outright dirty driving today.
Well done to Matt on the drivers title, Vauxhall on the constructors and to Collard for his race win.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1422103)   #11
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am so glad I don't have to rely on ITVs coverage.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1422104)   #12
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motors tv were just as bad
not even showing the 2nd race live, had to reley on mst timing...
Old 2 Oct 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1422116)   #13
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coverage is really crap these days but at least we get it, in all fairness. Lots of other countries in the world don't get an ounce of coverage.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1422119)   #14
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSportRacer
motors tv were just as bad
not even showing the 2nd race live, had to reley on mst timing...
Motors have a contract to show DTM live. It is not unusual for race 2 not to be shown live when Motors have another live race to show
Old 2 Oct 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1422124)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes they didn't show a touring car race live because they were showing another live touring car race! When will we get Motors TV 2?
Old 2 Oct 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1422130)   #16
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Soon hopefully.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1422132)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ITV were pretty shoddy with race 3, a couple more replays of how the crash unfolded, adn at least showing us the start, would have been neccessary to properly smooth the transition over. If it wasn't for the crash and safety car period, how much of the race would they have shown us?

Some good racing, but some of the drivers were on very thuggish form, Howell especially, who really deserved those two penalties.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1422143)   #18
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Howell was a naughty boy today and did get what he deserved...but what about Fiona who pulled the same stunt at the same corner...she didn't get a penalty!

However it was to be expected with it being the last rounds of the series!
Old 2 Oct 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1422146)   #19
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What exactly did Howell do? I was there but missed the incidents and explanations.
Was at Surtees for race two, even before Neal was alongside Muller it was obvious it was all going to end in tears; still don't know how it actually happened tho as they were out of sight by then. We seemed to miss everything today - it all happened where we'd just been rather than where we now were!
Old 2 Oct 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1422149)   #20
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
What exactly did Howell do? I was there but missed the incidents and explanations.
Was at Surtees for race two, even before Neal was alongside Muller it was obvious it was all going to end in tears; still don't know how it actually happened tho as they were out of sight by then. We seemed to miss everything today - it all happened where we'd just been rather than where we now were!
Howell and Leggett both tried an overtaking move at Graham Hill Bend and hit the car they were overtaking. It is typical of TOCA to have one rile for one and another rule for someone else
Old 2 Oct 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1422150)   #21
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ergh ITV coverage was so poor. Tuned in to watch a live race and miss half of it I know many people in other countries get no coverage at all, but this was was poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
I like the no "competitive" time for Proctor... something to do with ripping the front off the car in the second practice I reckon!

It was a nightmare today, red flag after red flag... still, looking forward to tomorrow, haven't been to a BTCC race this year, and I'd forgotten what the atmosphere was like.

Yes, I don't think this 'little' off helped too much. Shredded the front bumper that's for sure

I counted at least 6 or 7 red flags, some were quite lengthy too while barriers etc were rebuilt. A little frustrating, but it is important it's done properly. I really enjoy the BTCC and support lineup, usually some great action. Just wish I was there for todays races, looked great

Cheers
Old 2 Oct 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1422197)   #22
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of safety car periods, Clios and Formula BMWs all over the place, including one on the inside of the barriers at the bottom of Paddock.

Is the green stuff on the outside of Paddock now classed as track? Everyone was using it as if it was, tho i'm pretty sure the club racers have been told it's a no-go.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1422201)   #23
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
Lots of safety car periods, Clios and Formula BMWs all over the place, including one on the inside of the barriers at the bottom of Paddock.

Is the green stuff on the outside of Paddock now classed as track? Everyone was using it as if it was, tho i'm pretty sure the club racers have been told it's a no-go.
No it is not. Every driver is told not to use it and the organisers risk being fined by MSV if they don't penalise the drivers that use it.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1422256)   #24
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Howell was a naughty boy today and did get what he deserved...but what about Fiona who pulled the same stunt at the same corner...she didn't get a penalty!

However it was to be expected with it being the last rounds of the series!
She didn't get a penalty cos she was out of the race, self punishment I reckon

Saw both of Howell's moves and unfortunately, he was a little cheeky today. Driving over 'the Edge' perhaps (What the hell is a Castrol Edge, I still don't know...painful some of these marketing exercises).

Anyway, It's good the stewards in the BTCC are addressing 'questionable' driving. Howell put his hands up partly to the move in race one though he wasn't happy about Collard's driving either.

Was a great day, a little chilly, but hey. The Clio race was insane, red flagged for the sake of stopping any more crazy accidents...in the words of Ian Titchmarsh, it was red flagged because "enough was enough".

Great job by Matt Neal to 'quietly' win the championship today, most impressed by Smith who turned out top Vauxhall man today aswell.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1422301)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any indcation of what was to "become clear at Brands" from Team Dynamics? Remember Steve Neal talking about this on ITV's Knockhill coverage.