Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 May 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3904809)   #1
Laurence Nicholls
Rookie

Laurence Nicholls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for Advice - Buying an Electric Vehicle (EV)

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and have been looking across a load of sites for information on purchasing my first EV. I couldn't find a section on Tentenths so please direct me if there's a better area on the forum to post on!

I'm basically really interested in buying an EV, not too sure where to start and which models are good. I know that a lot of people are recommending brands that aren't very common in the UK so was wondering if people had any of these / could recommend a brand.

I wouldn't mind looking at Tesla if needs be but seems that there are better brands out there.

Thanks, Laurence
Old 20 May 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3904934)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Nicholls View Post
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and have been looking across a load of sites for information on purchasing my first EV. I couldn't find a section on Tentenths so please direct me if there's a better area on the forum to post on!

I'm basically really interested in buying an EV, not too sure where to start and which models are good. I know that a lot of people are recommending brands that aren't very common in the UK so was wondering if people had any of these / could recommend a brand.

I wouldn't mind looking at Tesla if needs be but seems that there are better brands out there.

Thanks, Laurence
Hi Laurence welcome to the forum, I don't know how soon that there will be an EV dedicated thread on 10s as "most" are dyed in the wool petrolheads ! However some that post on here do own EVs including Mike Bell who has (or had) a BMW , so he may pick up on this
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 May 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3904953)   #3
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How far would you ever want to drive?
Old 21 May 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3905022)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Laurence,

A query relating to your post, which might help to understand your current research and knowledge.

You say
Quote:
not too sure where to start and which models are good.
then add
Quote:
What leads you to conclude that there are better brands than Tesla?
Old 21 May 2019, 11:39 (Ref:3905054)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have actually driven a Nissan Leaf when they first came out, I enjoyed the drive but I can't see myself buying one in the near future until they are sorted to do more miles between charging and of course charging points that don't take hours.
The one that I tried belonged to a guy that I know who "thought" that it was the dogs "do dars" but he sold it a few months later at a hell of a loss because of the problems that I state above.
Saying that, one would probably suit my other half that will only drive locally in a 10 mile radius of our house in the UK.
One other thing, I almost got run over by one in a local car park the other week because of the lack of any noise, and I can see it being a problem in the future unless some sort of audible noise is introduced especially in places where there are people walking about.
Obviously they will replace the ICE vehicles in the future but not for a fair time, and as for busses and freight transport even further ! although I did see an electric JCB type digger performing the other day but I can't see them catching on either until the tap is turned off for good
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 May 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3905058)   #6
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;3905054I almost got run over by one in a local car park the other week because of the lack of any noise[/QUOTE]

No, you nearly got run over because you weren't paying attention. There are deaf people all over the world who manage to avoid being run over every day, despite not being able to hear cars coming.

I agree that they are spooky and it's easy to be caught out, but people should be bright enough to look where they're going and not need some audible signal that a car is approaching.

I think the problem at the minute is with range. Even if I only drive more than 100 miles in one trip every few months, it's often enough that would make electric too much of a hassle. Plus I don't want one. I'm keen to see them improve, I don't imagine I'll still have ICE in 15 years or so.

In terms of a buyer's guide, there are plenty of sensible articles already on the internet. Most will highlight the positives and negatives of each option
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electr...-cars-and-evs/
Old 21 May 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3905059)   #7
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Basically the only reason to get an EV is because of tax breaks, and that depends on the country you live in.
Old 21 May 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3905067)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
No, you nearly got run over because you weren't paying attention. There are deaf people all over the world who manage to avoid being run over every day, despite not being able to hear cars coming.

Say what you like sunshine, I just hope you don't get hit by an inconsiderate driver that wasn't even looking where she was going and was looking and talking to the woman next to her !
Old 21 May 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3905071)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Basically the only reason to get an EV is because of tax breaks, and that depends on the country you live in.
Yes there is that, however electric cars aren't exactly cheap to buy at the moment and of course the government can change things at the drop of a hat and start sticking road tax on when they feel like it !
Old 21 May 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3905073)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've a little experience with hybrids as we service a few where I work, and slight experience with a put EV as my sister has a Renault Zoe (I refer to this as her milk float!).
2½ years ago I was asked if I would ever have an EV or a hybrid, and dismissed the whole idea out of hand, 'I will always want an engine' was my reasoning.
However, I also enjoy a driving challenge, 40 years ago the challenge was to drive everywhere as fast as I could. Nowadays (although I still don't consider myself a slow driver) my challenges are mainly to drive as safely and as efficiently as possible. Road testing the hybrids has opened my eyes to the possible advantages of this type of system, and not being purely electric, they don't carry the risk of stranding you because you've run out of volts, a problem that would still put me off the idea of a pure EV. I enjoy the challenge of driving the hybrids, on my road tests I try to drive half on totally electric power.
I'm now mellowing to the idea, and would like to see what it's like to live with one for a week (so much so that yesterday I even checked if my local car hire company rent them out so I could try that - they don't!), just so I could see.
Old 21 May 2019, 15:15 (Ref:3905077)   #11
Laurence Nicholls
Rookie

Laurence Nicholls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Laurence,

A query relating to your post, which might help to understand your current research and knowledge.

You say

then add

What leads you to conclude that there are better brands than Tesla?
I've seen some hype from Geneva & more recently Shanghai Motor Shows that were showing these newer brands that I haven't really seen (from the UK) I think I was quite vague in saying better brands I meant better for price. From my limited understanding of EVs so far, it seems as if companies are starting to try and make affordable options?
Old 21 May 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3905086)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks, Laurence
What kind of miles are you expecting to cover on a daily basis, and what's your budget. Given you've already named Tesla, I'm guessing the budget is relatively high.
Old 21 May 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3905087)   #13
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Say what you like sunshine, I just hope you don't get hit by an inconsiderate driver that wasn't even looking where she was going and was looking and talking to the woman next to her !
Because as we know, nobody is ever hit by an ICE car and they're all as loud as Corvettes.

Pay attention. It not being your fault doesn't matter when you're in hospital.
Old 21 May 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3905132)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Apologies for just noticing this thread, but have been away playing with noisy 101 octane leaded petrol cars....

BEVs. I’ve been driving a BMW i3 for two years, without any issues. It has a smallish range due to being a small car with smallish battery. That isn’t a problem for most of the time, but does mean a bit of planning for long trips.

The owner of 2 cars I am privileged to race with him is on his 3rd Model S. He had one of the first to arrive in the UK and has upgraded now to a P100D. In the 3 cars he has covered around 90k miles, all around Europe.

Simple fact- A Tesla is the only EV that you can drive around the UK or across Europe without charger issues. Their Supercharger and Destination network is way and above superior to any other. The new Jag, Merc, Audi etc models boast a very rapid charging rate, BUT at the moment there are hardly any chargers able to supply that rate. Most max at 50kwh.

The new Kia and Hyundai BEVs are the best so far for good range at a more affordable price. They both have a waiting list..... In the next couple of years there will be several alternatives worth consideration from Euro and Far East manufacturers, but I will be saving for a Tesla Model Y. That charging infrastructure of theirs is the clincher.....
Old 21 May 2019, 22:28 (Ref:3905154)   #15
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Simple fact- A Tesla is the only EV that you can drive around the UK or across Europe without charger issues. Their Supercharger and Destination network is way and above superior to any other. The new Jag, Merc, Audi etc models boast a very rapid charging rate, BUT at the moment there are hardly any chargers able to supply that rate. Most max at 50kwh.
I've always wondered about plugs on EVs, do all the different models use the same plug size/shape so you can use chargers in different places? Or does a Porsche plug look different than a Tesla or Nissan?
Old 21 May 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3905157)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
They are a hoot to drive. If you are driving it as a normal car for the tedious A to B the power delivery is a joy. More relaxing and I'd much drive one compared to a modern ICE for that kind of journey. I had an e-Golf for sometime and it was a perfect commute car. If you are, er, pushing on then they, depending on model, can also excite. Easy to get power out of those motors and such torque. Great stuff. Put the battery low down and they can handle too and it can make up for some of that weight. The e-tron is a good example of this. All modern cars are too heavy anyway

Some get them for tax breaks, others because it suits their life, some because they prefer them.

Of course the range can be an issue. If you don't need the range then they are more convenient if you have a drive/garage, You never waste time filling up (and it is cheaper).

I like them. Doesn't mean I like E-Types any less. After all I'm a petrolhead.
Old 21 May 2019, 23:51 (Ref:3905158)   #17
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They are a hoot to drive.
I disagree. The instant torque is a nice feeling at first but gets very old very fast. The weight just makes it drive like a tank and not in a good way.
Old 22 May 2019, 01:14 (Ref:3905162)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope your not acting like an old dude.

I put it in context of a modern daily car, which are heavy anyway. The low c.o.g. can allow for some decent helmsmanship especially with 400hp on tap. A tank? Nah? I wouldn’t put them in that category. It’s no MX5 or Elise, but then I’m comparing to everydayers.

And when just travelling as opposed to driving the ability of the motor is even nicer than a V8 or diesel. Even the quietness adds to that kind of journey.

It wouldn’t be my only car, but I’ve enjoyed having one and will probably again soon. Although I’m looking for something light at the moment. Not for daily use though
Old 22 May 2019, 07:21 (Ref:3905183)   #19
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
They're cheaper to "fill up", even when you have expensive electricity. Seems like a good reason to me.
Old 22 May 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3905205)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I've always wondered about plugs on EVs, do all the different models use the same plug size/shape so you can use chargers in different places? Or does a Porsche plug look different than a Tesla or Nissan?
As has happened with other new tech in the past, none of the interested parties sat down and agreed on a common standard, so there are different plugs on chargers for different makes.....

If you’re charging at a slow or fast (3.5 to 22kwh) charger that requires you to use your own cable, there is a common standard on the charger. If you want to use a rapid (50kwh) post that has a dedicated cable, then there are two types. One (chademo) charges Leafs, the other (CCS) most other makes. The latter is now becoming the accepted standard.

Tesla have a unique plug/socket combo for their cars and charge points. It is very rapid, old Superchargers were 120kwh but the latest V3 is 250kwh, which is way higher than anything else currently in use. The new Model 3 has a second socket (CCS) so it can be charged at other locations easier, but other models can only be charged elsewhere by using an adaptor.

One of the Charger infrastructure problems that is holding things back is that Ecotricity, the pioneer in motorway installations, managed to get an exclusivity agreement with service area operators. So if, for example, BP Chargemaster want to put a charging station on a motorway, it will be off site, like the new one at Milton Keynes. Tesla took EcoT to court over the arrangement but lost. They did however, get some Superchargers in service areas by paying a lot of money.... This would be no problem if EcoT were putting more investment in, but after the initial money (Nissan and grants) ran out they have spent nothing. Their chargers are becoming unreliable and the tech is falling behind. It needs someone to buy them out!
Old 22 May 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3905301)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I think the home charge stuff is getting more reasonable, but does depend on your current house.

When in the UK the e-Golf could be easily charged over night on standard 240V. So you could drive the range and if staying over night charge and come back. That was an enabler to some journeys. In the US the 110V was next to useless, albeit with a bigger car. I got about 20 miles additional range overnight (battery just over half full at start - this makes a difference). And a cup of tea takes so much longer to make!
Old 22 May 2019, 23:27 (Ref:3905302)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
HI'm basically really interested in buying an EV, not too sure where to start and which models are good.
back to the original question and to pick up on previous questions.

What else do you need from a car. Size? Family? What current car do you have/cars you like?
Old 23 May 2019, 04:41 (Ref:3905317)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think the home charge stuff is getting more reasonable, but does depend on your current house.
I think building regs now require new builds to have sufficient h/d wiring to allow a 7kwh charger to be installed. I installed a unit in my garage and it will recharge my i3 from low to full overnight without problem. My provider was chosen because they sell 100% 'renewable' energy. And if at my workshop during the day and needing a charge, I can 'fill up' with power produced by the rooftop panels on every unit in the estate and the solar farm immediately behind. Not unusual to get a full charge without using any national grid electricity...