Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 27 May 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2699116)   #1
baszero
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
baszero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Track Access" Photo Accreditation for Le Mans

Hi,

I am looking for professional photographers that have been at Le Mans with an official accreditation by the A.C.O.
As it is my first time that I go to Le Mans with a press pass, I'd be excited to share some info before I go there...

One question would be:
- A.C.O. says I will have access "everywhere", but I simply can't imagine to be allowed to walk along the whole track!

Thanks!
Old 27 May 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2699141)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Who are you shooting for to get a trackside pass?
Access IS pretty much all the way round...

You may get better info over in the Photography forum though...
Old 27 May 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2699144)   #3
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Well, as a marshal out at poste 106 which is between Arnage and Porsche, I can advise you that so long as you are behind the barriers, then yes you can walk around the circuit.

We regularly have photographers phototgraphing in our area, or walking from Porsche to Arnage. What you must do is wear your vest clearly, and follow the advice/instructions the marshals give you about where/how to stand (don't lean on the barrier, etc). They are looking after you just as much as the cars!!!!
Old 27 May 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2699239)   #4
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by baszero View Post
Hi,

I am looking for professional photographers that have been at Le Mans with an official accreditation by the A.C.O.
As it is my first time that I go to Le Mans with a press pass, I'd be excited to share some info before I go there...

One question would be:
- A.C.O. says I will have access "everywhere", but I simply can't imagine to be allowed to walk along the whole track!

Thanks!
There are a number of Red Zones, as with any circuit, these are detailed in a bulletin that will be available in the media centre. If you have any doubts then ask the staff on the desk, led by the lovely Catherine.

Away from the ACO stadium section of the circuit, security tends to be in the hands of the either the marshals or the police. Both are friendly but if they decide that you are standing in a dangerous spot they will ask you to move, do comply especially if it is the Boys in Blue.............if you wish to discuss, do so politely and in French but I would suggest you would be wasting your breath.

As Mr Tarrant says make sure your tabard is worn properly and not wrapped round your waist and if you have any doubts about a spot, ask.

The rules also are prone to changes during the race and if that happens there is little that can be done about it. A couple of years ago access down the Mulsanne Straight was restricted by some of the authorities, we could not get a definitive reply as to whether this was a local decision or coming from Race Control. Last year, halfway during the race photographers were banned from the pitwall, a result of the assertion that they were the root cause of collision between the two Peugeots in the pitlane. That was complete hogwash but the race is not a time for debate.

To access the pitlane while cars are on track, a different tabard is needed plus an ACO approved firesuit.

The basic rule is to use your commonsense, if something feels dodgy, move. Stay away from the ARMCO and give consideration to spectators, marshals and other accredited media when you decide to shoot from a location, they have either paid to get in or are doing a job and will not appreciate someone wombling into their view.

Enjoy!

Note to moderator...maybe this thread should be in the photo section of the forum.
Old 27 May 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2699275)   #5
baszero
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
baszero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks so far!
These are really very useful infos so far... It gives me quite a good feeling of how access will be coordinated.

Another question:
- During the start ceremony, is access granted to the track where all the cars are standing with "Track Access"? I heard that this kind of access is called "Grid Access" and might not be included in the Track Access... However, I'm happy to have Track Access... this is awesome!

to moderators: sorry, I was not aware of the photography section. I'm fine by having this moved there of course.

Last edited by baszero; 27 May 2010 at 14:14. Reason: added note for moderators
Old 27 May 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2699415)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post

The basic rule is to use your commonsense, if something feels dodgy, move. Stay away from the ARMCO and give consideration to spectators, marshals and other accredited media when you decide to shoot from a location, they have either paid to get in or are doing a job and will not appreciate someone wombling into their view.

Enjoy!

Note to moderator...maybe this thread should be in the photo section of the forum.
Great post (and yes, I will move it).

Can I thank you as well for the part about awareness of those who've paid to be there. I know and fully understand that official photographers have a job to do (and I can only fantasise about being on the other side of the debris fencing with my camera) but the times when I've actually found one of the few reasonable spots there are to take shots with the fencing having the least effect, so many times a pro photographer comes and stands right in my eyeline - when they can actually move and take shots pretty well anywhere they like. Some of the pros are completely oblivious to anyone behind them! I hope the pros on the boarrd won't be too annoyed by my mentioning this too....
Old 27 May 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2699422)   #7
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another thing to remember about the pits is that you are probably the least most important person in there, prepare to be physically moved out of the way, without warning by mechanics and pit crew if you are in the way. It wont be a gentle tap on the shoulder and be pointed where to go, think of a rugby tackle crossed with an ice hockey goal tender checking someone!

At least you got a media pass, my credentials were not strong enough this year
Old 27 May 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2699427)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
The rules also are prone to changes during the race
aint that the truth!

Another year at home for us, have a good time all of those that are going.
Old 30 May 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2701323)   #9
jimmie
Rookie

jimmie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuncha View Post
At least you got a media pass, my credentials were not strong enough this year
I only got my confirmation on friday! (normally i get it in april), so if you are still waiting then you might get lucky
Old 31 May 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2702104)   #10
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
I only got my confirmation on friday! (normally i get it in april), so if you are still waiting then you might get lucky
Not waiting, I had planned on a team Im friendly with on entering, but they didnt, so no point wasting my time. Always next year